Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to take to the Dunes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by denpacc
We are heading to Florence area (unless someone can talk me in to going further south), then up the Oregon coast and through to Olympia, Washington and on towards Canada, then home. But we intend on staying in the Florence area for at least one week, then slowly make our way up the coast. Are there areas people from Oregon suggest checking out near or at the dunes? Any input would be appreciated. I will be doing some 4x4ing with my runner, but I think we will rent a couple of dirt bikes or quads for me and my 5 year old boy. Looking forward to it.

Cheers
If you have not been to the oregon coast before Florence is your best bet. Its about 5min from the dunes and beaches. I have been there 5 times and I always end up there. I may end up heading as far south as the Cali state line. We are just going to see where we end up.

Jeremy
Old 04-04-2008, 09:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by denpacc
We are heading to Florence area (unless someone can talk me in to going further south), then up the Oregon coast and through to Olympia, Washington and on towards Canada, then home. But we intend on staying in the Florence area for at least one week, then slowly make our way up the coast. Are there areas people from Oregon suggest checking out near or at the dunes? Any input would be appreciated. I will be doing some 4x4ing with my runner, but I think we will rent a couple of dirt bikes or quads for me and my 5 year old boy. Looking forward to it.

Cheers

Florence is okay but if you're going to take a whole week to have some fun on the dunes, Coos Bay is a little over an hour South and sooo worth the drive. Skip Winchester Bay and go straight to Lakeside or Hauser to rent any bikes for your kids. You can camp in Florence and even leave early enough to get to the Horsefall area and play all day. You could enter the dunes at Spinreel and drive on the dunes about 15 miles south and end up at Boxcar(Coos Bay). It isn't a bad place to camp either. No matter what you'll have fun. If you get in a pinch/stuck/broke down I can help if needed.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
Florence is okay but if you're going to take a whole week to have some fun on the dunes, Coos Bay is a little over an hour South and sooo worth the drive. Skip Winchester Bay and go straight to Lakeside or Hauser to rent any bikes for your kids. You can camp in Florence and even leave early enough to get to the Horsefall area and play all day. You could enter the dunes at Spinreel and drive on the dunes about 15 miles south and end up at Boxcar(Coos Bay). It isn't a bad place to camp either. No matter what you'll have fun. If you get in a pinch/stuck/broke down I can help if needed.
Wheelingnoob and TOYOTA 1, thanks for your input. We will be in Oregon for about 10-14 days this summer so I think I'll be hitting Cannon Beach, Florence, and Coos Bay. TOYOTA 1, thanks for the info on renting dirt bikes and offering to help if I "get in a pinch/stuck/broke down". That's awesome.

Cheers
Old 04-05-2008, 07:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no problem! i will always help a fellow yotatecher in need!
Old 05-01-2008, 10:37 AM

I was reading the safty equipment needed on the Oregon ATV II info and it says somthing about needing a roll bar or somthing that can support the weght of the truck and protect the ocupants heads. Do I need a roll bar in my 93 4runner? or will my friend in his 92ish Toyota PU?

Thanks, guys almost ready for this trip....cant wait!!!

Jeremy
Old 05-05-2008, 08:55 AM

I don't know for sure about Oregon, but most, if not all, places in California, as long as you have a hardtop you don't need a rollbar. And most of the "rollbars" you see around are really just "show bars" anyway. They mount outside of the frame rails and to the inner fenders and are not tied into the frame at all.

Have a Great Trip!
Grant
Old 05-23-2008, 09:02 AM

all i can say about coos bay dunes are if you runing at night watch for trees, i took a tree out but it took a toll on my rear driver quarter panel and rear bumper. Make a check list: Shovel, air tank(for re-presurizing your tires), piece of wood or carpet, tow strap, psi gauge, fire extinguisher, lunch and sleeping bag lol
Old 05-23-2008, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by 111db
Don't forget a shovel.
ahhh yes.. good ol fashioned 'plan b'
Old 05-23-2008, 11:14 AM

Well we leave on June 1st and will be in the Florence and coos bay area on the 3rd.

There will be 3 trucks, my SAS leaf swapped 93 2rd runner with 33's and a locker. My buddy with a 94 x cab 4" ifs, e locker and 35's and one other frined with a Rubicon (was not able to get the Mog or 81 toy done in time).

I will post pictures when I get back.

If any one is intrested in going wheeling when we are down there PM me your number.

Jeremy