Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want a 6" suspension lift for my 94 runner... does anybody know if one exists?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are two totally different rigs. The Blue one is a friend of mine's. His is SFA, and pretty well built. The other one is garbage in my opinion. Street queen material, to say the least... He's got a IFS kit, body lift, and stuffed those retarded Mickey Ts under it...
Old 03-09-2005, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say the SA rig on the left has about 3-5,000.00 in suspension and it probably works very well.

The one on the right probably has 4,000+ in junk and does not use it. It is a timebomb off-road
Old 03-09-2005, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
IFS lifts add brackets made of stronger material to the stock mounts. You have just put a 4" longer lever on all the stock parts and made another union to bend, break and come loose. You have also gained no travel and IMHO, weakened the system while gaining 3" of lift that you do not need.

Not to mention adding 4" rock hangers to the rear lower control arms.

If you are going to wheel it hard enough to need a locker, I am convinced you will destroy things.

Adding a 1" bodylift and 33's is cheaper, more stable, lower and stronger, but you have the same diff clearance.
amen..

I have an IFS lift cause I didn't know anything about wheeling when I got it, it's doing alright so far, but if you want a big lift, just save for SAS right off the bat instead of buying suspension twice.

Last edited by Mikronized; 03-09-2005 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:11 PM

4Runnerkid, I did not mean what I said as a jab at you. I suppose it can be read as such, but it was not meant that way.

I will not entertain arguments that the lifts are strong though because you just added a bracket to something. In this case, the bracket weakens the system.

Bill's truck is too tall. I have met Bill and riden in the truck. It hauls tail, but is more of a So Cal truck than a CO truck.

I will bet you dollars to doughnuts that with 1500 bucks, a truck with a 1" bodylift and a rear locker will spank the pants off one with an IFS lift and open diffs. Assuming tire costs are a wash, and we all did the work ourselves, the IFS lift is 1500 in parts to do it right, I could still have a ton of beer money left after installing an ARB, compressor and bodylift while the IFS lifted truck has only a lift.

Jesus, what's up?

And 33's, two lockers and appropriate protection will get you any place you should take a truck with a body you cared about.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:43 PM

You guys are great!!!! Thanks for all the info, i think i am going to go the route that flygtenstein suggested and maybe down the road swap the IFS with a solid axle! Thanks again!
Old 03-09-2005, 06:48 PM

4Runnerkid, I did not mean what I said as a jab at you. I suppose it can be read as such, but it was not meant that way.
No worries dude. I did the suspension lift before I found Yotatech and knew how to build a cheaper (maybe better) suspension. I paid a lot for the Superlift kit, too. I admit, if I had the chance to do it again I would probably set mine up similar to yours. Locker(s), BJ spacers, OME coils, All-Pro control arms, maybe a 1" body... Then save for a SAS. Hindsight is always 20/20 though...You live and learn. I just want to give props to my Superlift kit. It has held up extremely well so far. And I have beat on it pretty hard. Enough to need a locker... If he wants to run a suspension lift, that's his thing. I just want to share that mine is tough, and has never let me down. And if he wants to hang with his buddies, a locker is a better investment for sure. There's my $.02...
Old 03-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

He-Suss What's up dude?

Can you possibly get away on a Sat and Sun if it's really great camping run?

I'm looking to put together a run to the Navajo Nation. We have a guide. Great run to Navajo Mountain. You can see all the way to Lake Powell.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:25 PM

To me, wheeling in CO is rock crawling. IFS lifts will get trashed wheeling rocks with a locker. I destroy stock stuff without adding bracketry to break, bend and fail.

Also, I think a person should wheel an IFS truck first and hard before a solid axle. You will have to learn how to drive and that is good. I am a mediocre driver at best, but I now know that IFS in a wheeling truck for me is worthless.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:35 PM

If you go with a body lift, take a look at 4Crawler's kit. I put his 1" on my old vehicle and was very happy with it. He's got a wealth of information on the rest of his web site, too.
-Michael
Old 03-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

To me, wheeling in CO is rock crawling. IFS lifts will get trashed wheeling rocks with a locker. I destroy stock stuff without adding bracketry to break, bend and fail.

Also, I think a person should wheel an IFS truck first and hard before a solid axle. You will have to learn how to drive and that is good. I am a mediocre driver at best, but I now know that IFS in a wheeling truck for me is worthless.
Yeah right, you have been through Lower Terminator with the flood water.

I would say you have come a long way baby !!!

Old 03-09-2005, 07:58 PM

[QUOTE=Flygtenstein] Jesus, what's up?[QUOTE]

Nothing, my son.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:40 PM

Jesus? He-Suss?

Yup, that's me.

Adrian, how is the axle project coming out?

Steve, give me more details. Sure sounds like a blast...

Now, back to the thread...
Old 03-14-2005, 04:36 AM

Yup, I think getting a locker is in the works rather than getting an IFS lift. Man that would've sucked to spend that much money and find out after the fact that it was a waste if I get real serious into 4-wheeling to need a solid axle. By the way for all of you that have done the swap, how much welding experience was required and how much did you invest into it (time and money)?
Old 03-15-2005, 12:28 PM
RIS

Originally Posted by gsxrguru
ok, so i see where you guys are pointing me and I appreciate the suggestions, however, i was wondering what you think of these rides? Are they at all practical for wheeling or are they just for show? I would absolutely love to have my runner at this level someday, but at the same time want to be able to take it offroad and tear some sh-- up! By the way, how much is a good estimation of what these guys invested into their suspensions, any way to tell from these pics? (which i hope i am posting correctly...)

The truck on the right has a 4" IFS & a (huge)4" body lift. That same 4runner was on e-bay selling an 8" "TRASH" lift.
I am doing a SAS on a 91 4runner. I have 4,550.?? in parts and still need a few things. (I'm going kinda big) The Marlin kit (-) springs & shocke $950.?? Alcan 8" springs $600.?? Randy's 529 gears & lockers $1300.?? Slee rear coil springs(we can talk about that later) $175.?? Used axle & rebuild kit $300.?? 15X39.5X15 TSL swampers mounted & bal. 1225.?? No shocks yet & dropped the front drive shaft off to be made to fit & was told a few hundred???@ Stans in Gulfport, MS. I will wheel the tires off of it!!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 12:31 PM
RIS

I am doing a SAS on a 91 4runner. I have 4,550.?? in parts and still need a few things. (I'm going kinda big) The Marlin kit (-) springs & shocke $950.?? Alcan 8" springs $600.?? Randy's 529 gears & lockers $1300.?? Slee rear coil springs(we can talk about that later) $175.?? Used axle & rebuild kit $300.?? 15X39.5X15 TSL swampers mounted & bal. 1225.?? No shocks yet & dropped the front drive shaft off to be made to fit & was told a few hundred???@ Stans in Gulfport, MS. I will wheel the tires off of it too!!!!