Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tube doors

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tube doors

I am thinking about getting some tube doors for my truck this summer. I always drive with all windows down or open and this will also give me better visibility off roading. However, does the door not being there reduce the integrity of the cab? Also, I live in Ohio does anyone know if you are allowed to do this and drive on the road?
Old 04-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

master, not sure about how it would effect the integrity of the cab, but I don't see any reason as to why it wouldn't be legal. I know in indiana its legal to ride w/o the doors on a jeep. Also where ya from in Ohio
Old 04-03-2005, 07:46 PM

Dayton, Oh. Where is Aurora at? Also do you know of any wheeling spots. The two that I used to go to were closed when the property was sold?
Old 04-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

just accross the river from cincinnati
Old 04-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Banned

here in CA it is not illegal to run doorless however on the yotas the mirrors are mounted on the doors, so you need to mount mirrors somewhere else... also in CA if you dont have doors, here is the kicker: you need to have a minimum of a 2" side that comes up higher than the floor..... a jeep can get away with this because the jeep has a tub and has higher than a 2" side higher than the floor......

as for body integrity, it wont matter.... the body will crumble no matter whats on it if conditions are extreme enough.. its a body on frame and is not unibody constrution.. if it were a jeep cherokee with unibody construction, then removign the doors would be bad, but it isnt, and there is no problems removing the doors
Old 04-03-2005, 08:32 PM

I'm not sure on this, but I think in California there has to be a slight lip on the door sill to prevent objects from sliding out. I think it's something like 1 inch.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stanley
I'm not sure on this, but I think in California there has to be a slight lip on the door sill to prevent objects from sliding out. I think it's something like 1 inch.

its a 2" lip and i just stated that in the above post
Old 04-03-2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
its a 2" lip and i just stated that in the above post
Ops, didn't see your post. I started typing my reply, but I got side tracked by something else and finished it later. I need to remember to refresh.

Ever heard of anyone getting a ticket for the 2" law? I doubt a cop would ever know about it.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Banned

i havent heard about anyone actually gettign a ticket for it... but you know how young rookie cops and some oterh ones with nothing better to do just like to nail people for equipment violations.... it is a law and if they are super anal about it you can get nailed depending on the cops mood.... around here, no one has tube doors, and i dotn know anyone that actually wheels out where i live its very city..... all the trucks out here have chrome 20s on lowered tahoes or lifted pickups with 35s on them that will never see anything more then wet pavement.....
Old 04-04-2005, 08:51 AM

Be prepared to deal w/ vast amounts of dust if you drive for any distance on dry dirt roads. The tube doors are great for visability, but they suck for general wheelin'. I have run doorless and had a set of AOR tube doors- in either case, a set of MX goggles is required just to see. The dust has killed two CD players and an amp...

Even w/ the windows down, the door prevents the dust from entering the cab right at the tire. I'm gonna try half doors to see if they help w/ both visability and in keeping the dust at a managable level.

As a side note, if you EVER get into mud w/ tube doors, you will spend hours cleaning up the glop...and rain ain't no fun either
Old 04-05-2005, 05:34 AM

Great thread. I was wondering what are the best tube doors for a first generation. I want the tubing high enough that I can rest my arm while driving- I know- I am a wimp. Comfort is high on my list. Is there any write ups on the install and how to modify the hinges? There have been 4wd Toyotas in my family for twenty years ( I am 35) and this 87 Runner is my first. I cannot wait to hit the trails this summer .
Old 04-28-2005, 09:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old thread, I know, but I'm in Ohio and I've driven with my doors off and passed by cops, they havent pulled me over yet. Also driven around KY without problems.

I almost lost a floor mat once! I have to remember to take those out before I go cruising!
Old 04-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GreeneHoosier
Great thread. I was wondering what are the best tube doors for a first generation. I want the tubing high enough that I can rest my arm while driving- I know- I am a wimp. Comfort is high on my list. Is there any write ups on the install and how to modify the hinges? There have been 4wd Toyotas in my family for twenty years ( I am 35) and this 87 Runner is my first. I cannot wait to hit the trails this summer .

they dont modify the hinges, they bolt to the hinges.... look for 82trekker, he just put some tube doors on his truck
Old 04-28-2005, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
they dont modify the hinges, they bolt to the hinges.... look for 82trekker, he just put some tube doors on his truck
Exactly. You just bolt them to the existing hinges which is nice. I tell ya' though, they are a ruff way to go for everyday use.

I now carry a rainsuit with me..always. Goggles and a clean dry cloth to get the inside of the windshield dry. I was sitting at a traffic light just 2 days ago and the wind was blowing the rain sideways inside my truck

When the weather is nice, you can't beat them IMO. But, I'm not complaining, since I'm not going to take them off till Fall

Ohio has the same 2" law on doors. Samis and Jeeps have the "tub" built in, and as Adam said, if it isn't nailed down, out the door it goes! I've lost a can of paint and a cell phone already.

I'm in Ohio as well, and the cops won't hassle you about it for a primary reason to pull you over. I've also ran Beadlocks in this state for a year back in 00 and never had an issue either.

HTH
Old 05-02-2005, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Masterwacker, what color is your truck? I'm in Yellow Springs about half the week, wonder if I've seen you or your rig around.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:35 PM

I have a red pickup with a chrome brush guard. This weekend I am putting a lift, BFG tires and TJM 17 bumper on it though so the look will be a little different. By the way do you live in Yellow Springs? My wife and I favorite place to hang out is at the Tavern. That in fact is where I had my first beer.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

I grew up in the springs. My mom still lives there, and when I am in ohio (which is a lot lately) I divide my time between YS and fabulous Wapakoneta. Is that TJM the one that was in the classifieds from northern ohio?