Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Edition With X-reas Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sport Edition With X-reas Suspension Question

Is anyone able to give me some advice. I am planning on buying a late model 4runner sport edition with the X-REAS suspension system. I am thinking of lifting with an Old Man Emus lift that comes complete with springs, shocks, and struts. Does anyone know if I will be able to do this with the X-REAS still being functional or will this lift require me to eliminate this? I don't have the truck yet and don't know much about the system.
Thanks for your help!
Old 03-01-2007, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a friend with a similar problem. I think there was one company that was going to make a lift to use the suspension pieces to retain it, but my friend told me that the company had decided not to go that route. Not sure of the lift company name though...
Old 03-01-2007, 05:08 PM

Thanks, I will do some research
Old 03-01-2007, 06:32 PM

Ok, the basics are that with XREAS you are limited to a spacer lift (eg Cornfed, Daystar). The XREAS is nice for on-road driving, especially if you like driving "spirited" around corners. Now the OME suspension is a nice upgrade, primarily for offroad. Depending upon which parts you get, it will provide independant suspension on each corner, allow some extra flex, a marginally stiffer ride, and a lift for larger tires. To put the full OME system on you will have to disconnect the XREAS which is basically a fluid tubing system that links the stock shocks on opposite corners of the truck. You can disconnect them and leave all the tubing in case you wanted to return to stock later, or you can completely remove the tubes and reserviors within about 1/2 hr.

Many, many people (self included) have the OME system in varying spring and shock rates.

Cheers
Mark
Old 03-01-2007, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the info, Do you happen to know what tire size will clear with the OME system. I beleive the one I am looking at is only about 2 inches.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:00 PM

No issues? 265/70R17 will allow you to fit to stock wheels with no issues

Minor issues? 275x70x17 will allow you to fit to stock wheels with no or very minor rubbing.

At the max? 285's but you'll need to cut a fair amount of plastic fender liner and you will get rubbing on full lock on the chassis frame, and the rest of the time you'll get rubbing on the plastic triangles at the front of the fenders and rubbing on the mudflaps with just minor turning of the wheels. You may have difficulty finding a shop to fit 285's on stock wheels.

Will also depend upon which tires you choose. they vary a lot in overall size depending upon brand and use (MT, AT etc)

Last edited by Expat; 03-02-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:13 PM

If you are going to get the OME suspension, save yourself the money and buy a 4th gen without X-REAS... it would be completely disabled to install the OME suspension or any other non-spacer type lift, and I wouldn't try to fit 285's on stock wheels as said above... you can eliminate the frame rubbing with aftermarket wheels, but will still have other minor issues, rubbing on fender liner, front bumper and possibly mudflaps, which can all be solved with a dremel.