Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe Recovery Point

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 10:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safe Recovery Point

I'm trying to find a good way to mount some sort of hook or shackle to the rear of my 4Runner. I don't have a trailer hitch or aftermarket bumper. All I have are the two stock attach points under the rear welded to the frame.

I took a friend of mine to the Moses Lake sand dunes a few weeks ago to play around. I got a little excited going up one of the dunes and dug myself into some loose sand pretty good. I was goofing around and wound up stuck.

The easiest way for him to pull me out was from the rear but there was no way to attach the recovery strap to both vehicles, since neither one of us had a "hook" style attach point. I eventually just dug myself out a little and drove out under my own power.

Can I get a shackle of some sort to put through the hole in the rear attach points? Or would that be kind of the same as using a tow rope with metal hooks? Anybody have any other ideas?
Old 09-22-2003, 11:44 PM
Contributing Member

what you might want to do is get some sort of D ring shackle, and attach that through one of those loops, and through a tow strap

thats what i did when i towed somebody out at the dunes here in cali

put the tow strap in my D ring recovery thingy for my tow hitch, and borrowed a d shackle from a buddy and put it on a front loop

pulled him right out, even in 2wd
Old 09-23-2003, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

That's what I had in mind. I'll have to see what I can find. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

Just an FYI- the two "eyeholes" on the back of a 4runner are not meant to be tow-points, they are tie-down points for situations when you've got something strapped to the roof. You run the risk of those breaking right off if you try to tow from that point, and turning the hook from the tow strap into a very dangerous projectile. I would suggest buying another bolt-on tow hook from Toyota- I think you should have one of those mounted on the front and/or install a trailer hitch with shackel reciever. There are also weld-on shackel mounts that I've seen on the web. Get one of those welded on, and run a D-shackel through it. Worst-case scenario is using the strap on the axel, but you run the risk of seriousoly ˟˟˟˟˟˟ up your vehicle.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Just an FYI- the two "eyeholes" on the back of a 4runner are not meant to be tow-points, they are tie-down points for situations when you've got something strapped to the roof. You run the risk of those breaking right off if you try to tow from that point, and turning the hook from the tow strap into a very dangerous projectile. I would suggest buying another bolt-on tow hook from Toyota- I think you should have one of those mounted on the front and/or install a trailer hitch with shackel reciever. There are also weld-on shackel mounts that I've seen on the web. Get one of those welded on, and run a D-shackel through it. Worst-case scenario is using the strap on the axel, but you run the risk of seriousoly ˟˟˟˟˟˟ up your vehicle.
The welder man has the bump stop adapters. I have the poly and all the hardware. Should ship Friday if all goes well.

The Chem grabed the last set of my hangers. I have 1 more but I'm keeping those for myself.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:13 PM

d-ring question

what is the best way to put them on a step bumper? i don't have a place for a reciever or don't have any way of getting them welded. i tried putting them through the trailer ball holes but the pin is too thick? is there another way or are there recovery d-ring shackles that are thiner or with a thiner pin atleast?