Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Posi in the front, Lock Rite in the rear. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Posi in the front, Lock Rite in the rear. Opinions?

I have a posi in my 2wd truck. I want to take that posi and put it in the front of my 89. I want to put a Lock Rite in the rear. It does not have AAD either. What are the pro's and con's of this setup? I will probably regear as well but I may not. I have read the threads on Lock-Rites and Aussie Lockers so I dont have any questions their, but just wanted to know how well this setup would work.

James
Old 11-03-2005, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont really know what a posi is but i'm guessin limited slip...anyways Im pretty sure whatever it is wont fit up front in an ifs diff...i know alot of people run tru tracs up front with a lunchbox in the rear and are happy with it
Old 11-03-2005, 10:03 AM

If your 2wd has a 7.5 rear diff I'm sure you could make the LSD fit with some creative shimming but you need to have a good collection of shims on hand since none of the 7.5 install kits come with shims. I ordered a shim kit from Randys for my 7.5 but ended up using smaller shims from a domestic diff under the carrier bearings to get me close enough to use the yota style shims.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:06 AM

When you put any sort of traction device in the front axle, you'll want manual hubs for sure. I've got a Tru Trac in my front diff and like it a lot. But it's hard to turn so that's why you want manual hubs.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Silver_Truck
i dont really know what a posi is but i'm guessin limited slip...anyways Im pretty sure whatever it is wont fit up front in an ifs diff...i know alot of people run tru tracs up front with a lunchbox in the rear and are happy with it
Yeah is it is a limited slip. The truck does have manual hubs. Why wont it fit?

James
Old 11-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Apparently it could if your truck has a 7.5" rear diff (the 2wd one) but would take some work I dunno though give it a try
Old 11-03-2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Silver_Truck
Apparently it could if your truck has a 7.5" rear diff (the 2wd one) but would take some work I dunno though give it a try
Yeah the 2wd has the 7.5. I don't see how it wouldn't fit. Is their something I'am missing?

James
Old 11-03-2005, 06:14 PM

nope, it will definitely fit. the 7.5" lockers are all the same, right up through the 3rd gens and tacos

ran a trutrac up front for years with a lunchbox in the rear, worked great. i dont know what steveh29 is talking about, i noticed no difference in steering with the truetrac versus open front.

what kind of posi do you have?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:22 PM

I have a Precision Gear or at least that is what it said on the box when I bought it. You tell me if you know, is it made by Precision Gear or is it someone elses work? Worked great for me in the 2WD. This would keep cost WAY down for me. I'am scrapping the 2WD so I will use whatever parts I need from that into my other Toyota trucks.

James
Old 11-03-2005, 06:25 PM

Oh yeah, it is a Power Brute limited slip.

James
Old 11-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

i love my lock-right. and am thinking about putting a true-trac up front....so its ok i dont have manual hubs, the true-trac will behave with steering on and off road? (disengaged and engaged?)
Old 11-06-2005, 03:27 AM

you need manual hubs with any traction aid in the front end. Without manual hubs your diff just spins in the carrier every where you drive.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:35 PM

wrong, you do not need manual hubs up front all the time. if you defeat the ADD system, you will not notice any difference.

with my truetrac up front and both hubs locked in, i noticed no difference in steering at all.

i know jeepers who run lockrights up front with no manual hubs and it doesnt affect the steering or street manners at all.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Napoleon047
with my truetrac up front and both hubs locked in, i noticed no difference in steering at all.

i know jeepers who run lockrights up front with no manual hubs and it doesnt affect the steering or street manners at all.

I guess you could run it with no manual hubs and just spin the thing 100% of the time just like you where in 4wd but you would always be wearing on the coast side of the gear set. The idea of ADD is that you only have 1 hub locked in when the thing is in 2wd via an axle disconnect. I'm sure it would cost fuel economy and increase gear/drive line wear but yeah it could be done. You would be essentially spinning every part of your 4wd system except the front end of the T-case. Sounds like a complete waste of fuel combined with excessive front differential wear to me but hey its your truck
Old 11-07-2005, 06:40 AM

actually, everything including the front part of the t-case will be spinning. the front and rear just wont be tied together and the front wont be powered.

the difference in fuel savings will be negligible, IMO as long as everything is lubed properly. even if it did take 1 mpg more to turn everything, compare the cost of that to the cost of a manual hub conversion $$$$$ (for tacos and 3rd gens).
Old 11-07-2005, 01:17 PM

[QUOTE=Napoleon047]
ran a trutrac up front for years with a lunchbox in the rear, worked great. i dont know what steveh29 is talking about, i noticed no difference in steering with the truetrac versus open front. [QUOTE]

I tried running the Tru Trac without manual hubs and I found my turning radius was greatly increased and there was certainly resistance to making a turn. Once I'd added the manual locking hubs, I had no more problems and the truck drove like it had before the Tru Trac addition.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:30 PM

wear the drive side

Actually, since were talking about the FRONT wheels driving the FRONT diff, unless you have a high pinion, you will wear the drive side, without hubs and with a locker of some type and drive flanges or lock out hubs in the lock position but who cares. there is little load on it in 2x4 anyway.

Lots of confusing posts on this thread.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:41 PM

Northfacer
How does the lockrite perform. I wonder how it is with a manual trans, what noises do you get, any different driving/handling behavior in rain or slippery roads? I might go the same route. Thanks
Old 11-08-2005, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

i absolutely love it. offroad, its amazing. i can do things in 2wd that i couldnt do in 4lo. with the manual transmission, (i believe this is right), you can put the clutch all the way in on turns and coast through them, eliminating some of the problems/noises/jerking that people experience. because when in neutral, theres no POWER being given to the wheels, just momentum carrying you through. i could be wrong, but i think thats how it works.

anyways, the driving and handling hasnt even been a noticeable change. the only time i really ever FEEL something different, is when i leave my driveway in the mornings. sometimes i chrip the tires. other than that, nothing really different. and when you coast through turns, theres a nice sounding clicking noise, to let you know its still there. i highly recommend this route, for the price and performance. and if youre thinking about installing it yourself, personally i would say no. i took mine to a local shop and they found that my carrier and pinion bearings were shot, i doubt i would have picked that up. if they didnt replace them, he said in about 2 months my rear would be toast.

good luck with it.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

and about driving in the rain, havent had the chance yet. its been in for about 2 weeks, and it hasnt rained since then.

Quick Reply: Posi in the front, Lock Rite in the rear. Opinions?