Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please help!-tire selection issue

Hi !
The time has come to change the crappy tires I got with my rig with some good ones and I don't want to throw away my hard earned money on tires that won't suit my needs.
So I ask You to help me out because I'm pretty confused .
People here tell me that I should buy narrower tires because they are better for off road but here on the forum I see people with huge tires and talking of even bigger ones
I have 235/75 R15 Pirelli scorpio s/t and they stink big time because I have to put in 4WD where people with normal cars and tires go.They will slip on even slightest muddy incline.

This truck is my daily driver and on the weekends I go off road -I don't do any rock climbing,or sand driving- biggest obstacles are muddy forest trails muddy tractor trails, and steep mudddy hills-so I need a tire that would be very capable in mud but also capable to whitstand pavement and not getting eaten up after 15000km.

I need as much ground clearance I can get.
My suspension is stock with rear sag but I'll install ome leaf springs in the rear.
The 2 main questions are

1. To go wider, smaller or the same width-which dimensions would you reccomend. The sticker behind the door says 215R15-maybe that's not bad but then I would lower my truck AAARRRGGGGHHHH-I'm realy confused.

2.Should I get A/T or M/T tires - I like M/T-s more but I'm not sure how they perfom on road-experiences???
Tires I like are Yokohama geolander A/T and M/T, and BF Goodrich A/T and M/T -What do you think? Maybe some other reccomendations.

Please help

Last edited by smiljko; 01-19-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:14 PM

Somebody please!
Old 01-19-2005, 11:00 PM

Not sure what size tires you currently have (ie how tall in inches) and I don't have a calculator right now.

Anyway. I would say get a 31x10.5x15 mine fit fine on my first gen with saggy butt. That would probably give you the most clearance and least hassle. You seem concerned with road manners so i would recommend the A/T's. I have M/T (no name brand BFG style) and i don't like their performance on wet roads, but i expected that when i bought them. As for brand that's your call.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by bikeguy18974
Not sure what size tires you currently have (ie how tall in inches) and I don't have a calculator right now.

Anyway. I would say get a 31x10.5x15 mine fit fine on my first gen with saggy butt. That would probably give you the most clearance and least hassle. You seem concerned with road manners so i would recommend the A/T's. I have M/T (no name brand BFG style) and i don't like their performance on wet roads, but i expected that when i bought them. As for brand that's your call.
According to tables they are 29 inches tall .
Is it possible to put31x10.5x15 with no rubbing?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2005, 03:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, you can fit 31s with no rubbing. At leas I was able to before I got a lift. I would also recommend the AT tires as they will meet most of youre needs.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:44 AM

Thanks guys I'll go with 31s then
What do you think BFG or geolander ATs?
Thanks
Old 01-20-2005, 03:46 AM

Aaah yes - what is minimum rim width to fit these tires-I,m not sure which are mine, and is it necesarry to change gears in diff to run them because I don't have possibility to change them?
Thanks

Last edited by smiljko; 01-20-2005 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smiljko
Thanks guys I'll go with 31s then
What do you think BFG or geolander ATs?
Thanks
I personally dont have any experience with the geolanders, But I do have some with the BfG a/t. I had a set that lasted over 60,000 miles. They never had a problem balancing and were a great all around tire.
I dont think you will notice too much of a difference with the 31" tire. It will fit on the stock wheel(7" wide I think)
Old 01-20-2005, 09:29 AM

Thanks I'll go with the BFG-s then.