Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Road Wheel Sponsor for DGC

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off Road Wheel Sponsor for DGC

This post is most likely in the wrong place, but when I looked around, it didn't really fit anywhere (where does begging belong?). Please move accordingly if needed/wanted.

Forward:
I've been reading YT for 6 or 7 months now and love all the posts / replies. I didn't know what other community to turn to, so I thought I'd post in here.

Getting right down to it, I'm looking for a shop or manufacturer who would give my Darpa Grand Challenge team a tire sponsorship. If you haven't heard of the Darpa Grand Challenge, all you could ever want to know is available here. One sentence summary: Unnmanned offroad race from Barstow to Las Vegas for a 2 million dollar prize.

My team is one of the 40 semifinalists (cut down from 197) and is one of the few non-university / company sponsored teams. IE: we are strapped for cash. We are also good enough to go all the way. We the only team based out of San Diego to make the cut, and we have a spread of members from San Diego to L.A.

One of the problems we are having now (and the reason of this post) is that our tires are getting worn down and because it's a military humvee, it is impossible to find the exact tire to replace the current ones: Goodyear Wrangler MT Military OZ 37x12.50R16.5LT M+S load range D. When looking at replacement tires / wheels and the cost associated, there is no way we can afford replacements. What I'm looking for is a sponsor. I mailed some sponsor packets to some local San Diego shops with no reply. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this? I was thinking of 4wheelparts might be a possibility and they could field test the hell out of their new Xtreme AT tires. Anyone think they would bite or even have a good phone number to call? What about some other manu's / shops? I didn't want to make this post too long, so I don't want to go through all the ways someone could help me out, but if you have any advice, questions, contacts, or sponsorship please send them my way.

By the way, the sponsorship wouldn't be without reward, our webpage gets thousands and thousands of hits a day, we have a team member that does NASCAR Sponsor paint jobs on vehicles, the works.

Thanks so much,
-J

Again, sorry to the mods if I totally broke all the rules. I really am a member, just with few posts, and I'm not trying bug / annoy anyone. This will be the one and only post of its kind!