Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mile Marker E9000 Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mile Marker E9000 Feedback

I've just picked up a Mile Marker E9000 today from 4WP.

I'm looking for some feedback from people who actually own one. I've done a search and there was a few things said about it. Slow and reliable, doesn't overheat, and one problem with the solenoid. Most of these posts were from 2003.

Looking for some current users and their opinions.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:44 PM

I still stand by my opinion about the Milemarker winches. I know that some people have had issues, but I have 2 (one is an exact clone $299 at Harbor Freight) and I am happy with them. My friend had a problem with his (no power out) though.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Darx
I've just picked up a Mile Marker E9000 today from 4WP.

I'm looking for some feedback from people who actually own one. I've done a search and there was a few things said about it. Slow and reliable, doesn't overheat, and one problem with the solenoid. Most of these posts were from 2003.

Looking for some current users and their opinions.

Thanks.
what was the problem with the solenoid? i'm was thinking of getting a milemarker, but heard they also have problems with the free spooling freezing
Old 01-18-2005, 03:41 PM

I think that one of the solenoids went out. Milemarker sent him a new one for free though. We replaced it, and I don't remember if that fixed it or not. He didn't really use his winch it was for show mostly (2WD Ford Explorer). I like mine, but had I known about the 8000 lb electric winch at Harbor Freight (a Milemarker E8000 clone~probably made in the same factory in China) I would have gotten that one and saved the $$.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Aside from the slowness, watch out for the cable contacting the cross supports. This is much more of an issue on the 12K pound MM, but if the cable stacks up and contacts those cross support, it WILL split the side's of the case and render the winch usesless until you get replacements. Ive seen this happen more than once on the 12K pounders, and it actually happens on them really easily. Its hard to do on the 9K, but it can happen, so just watch it and be carefull.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by joez
Aside from the slowness, watch out for the cable contacting the cross supports. This is much more of an issue on the 12K pound MM, but if the cable stacks up and contacts those cross support, it WILL split the side's of the case and render the winch usesless until you get replacements. Ive seen this happen more than once on the 12K pounders, and it actually happens on them really easily. Its hard to do on the 9K, but it can happen, so just watch it and be carefull.
Is this just a problem with the steel cables or just in general? Before it even goes on I'm ordering a synthetic line.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

It probobally wont be a problem at all on the 9K if you have synthetic, as it doesnt bunch as bad.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

I'll be going with the Harbor Freight one as well, and getting a synthetic line. The winch will mostly be for a just in worst case secnario times, most of the people I ride with have Warn winches(one being a 15K) so mine will just be for peace of mind.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

I ordered a synthetic line, aluminum hawse fairlead and a hook today for it. The line is Amsteel Blue. I ordered from OKoffroad.com through Mark. Nice guy and answered all my questions thoroughly.

When that all comes in next week I'll set up some time with Demello to get the winch set up on my bumper and the hole cut through the front plate fo the fairlead.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

I got the stuff I ordered from OKoffroad today. Now to get Jason to get the hole cut for the fairlead and winch mounted.

Stuff I got:

Amsteel Blue Synthetic 3/8x100'

Slimline Aluminum Hawse Fairlead

"Big Red" Winch Hook
Old 02-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

Installation Notes

OK, after a visit to Demello's yesterday to get the bumper "fine tuned" for the winch we got it on!

It's really tucked back under the grille so you only see the front half of it. It's necessary to remove the grille to get the winch in and out. We had to put some lift under the winch to clear the clutch selector. The clutch selector slides vertically and part of the bumper bracing was prohibiting the mechanism from sliding all the way down to engage the clutch.

For the rear he used some tubing to lift it and the front is lifted with some 3/8" washers. We got it on and got my truck out of the way so they could get to real customers.

I noticed the winch would not let me pull the line out no matter how hard we pulled! I didn't bother to look into it until this morning. I had a suspicion the mounting wasn't dead on even across all four mounting spots. I took the line off, what a chore, and noticed the clutch side of the winch was rubbing the barrel at the bottom of it's turn. Something inside isn't working right. So I loosened the front mounting points and it worked fine. So the winch frame was flexing causing the clutch stuff to not allow it to spool out.

I went to Home Depot and grabbed some more washers and some new bolts, grade 8, for the rear and will get it all evened out tomorrow when I can borrow some deep well sockets and stuff to take a couple of the front bumper bolts off to get at the rear winch mount bolts.

Everyone has a different setup. Jason and John did a great job of accomidating mine. Nothing a plasma cutter can't take care of!

Once that's done then I'll need to make some extended lines for the winch to the solenoid and the solenoid to the battery. The box is BIG and isn't going to fit anywhere near the winch itself since the grille covers up most of the winch. I'll have to put it under the hood somewhere which will keep it covered but slightly incovenient when winching.

Last edited by Darx; 02-02-2005 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Control Box Mounted!

The winch is finally mounted up. All that's left is to get the line on it tomorrow.

I decided to just cut the grille out where the control box would fit on the winch. Doesn't look bad at all and is pretty much hidden by the bumper and lighting. It worked out pretty since I didn't cut away any of the grille supports as there were none n the area that got cut away.

You can see some pics here.

EDIT: I didn't have to have extended lines made since I mounted it on the winch. The lines provided are long enough with some slack to the battery.

Last edited by Darx; 02-09-2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Matt--
That is sweet!! When are you going to get stuck so we can try it out??