Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marlin dual cases leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Marlin dual cases leaking...

Had my dual ultimate cases in my 98 2.7 for about a month now. And about 2 days after I finally got it home it began leaking on my t-case skid and has been leaving a oil spot on my driveway. So the first thing I did was drain all the fluid, wipe up the area its leaking from, and then I applied the grey silicone (same stuff Marlin uses) over what I thought was leaking. Refilled the case and in 2 days it was leaking again. So I repeated the process once more and put the silicone higher up so that it covered more area. This stopped the leak for about a week, and now its back!
The leak is coming from where the adapter connects to the second case.

So my question, before I drive back up to Marlin's shop (4 hours away), is there anything you guys might suggest I do? I'm assuming it's important to have fluid in the case when using double low or 4.7 low.
Its pretty frustrating and Im hesitant to take it back up there and have to wait another month for it to be finished.

-Casey
Old 05-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

Its just a leak, why not fix it yourself? Drop the driveshafts, pull the shifter, and remove the rear case. Clean up the mating surfaces, RTV them and bolt it back together. It would only take a few hours.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by joez
Its just a leak, why not fix it yourself? Drop the driveshafts, pull the shifter, and remove the rear case. Clean up the mating surfaces, RTV them and bolt it back together. It would only take a few hours.
...X2
Old 05-25-2005, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

you know, I will probably end up just doing this.

I gotta start doing these kind of things myself.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

well, if you decide to work on it yourself, call me up if you want some extra hands for help.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member

Based on everyone I know (with the exception of BruceTS) I would be more surprised if it didn't leak. That seems to come with the territory.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
Based on everyone I know (with the exception of BruceTS) I would be more surprised if it didn't leak. That seems to come with the territory.
This is what I have heard also
Old 05-26-2005, 03:55 AM

Mine leaks like a siv. But it's not from the adapter plate it's from the second case (stocker) from the top of the shifter.

On our last trip we went down a National Scenic Road and I noticed that a group of Harley's behind me would keep there distance. First thought nothing of it till we pulled over for gas and Vic said I was spraying them with fluids.

Also, what are you running for fluids in there anyways? I've heard ATF fluid, but tried that and now I'm using gear oil with lucas oil stabilizer. Cut the leaky, leaky way down and the gears run quiter too.

I wouldn't take it back, if it bugs you that much, then pull it and fix it. Not too hard, but get an extra set of hands or a tranny jack.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

I have AMSOIL synthetic gear oil in there.
Kinda a pain in the ass, but if this is the nature of the beast then Ill try and fix it this time and use that Lucas oil stabilizer you mentioned.
BTW, where can I get some?
Old 05-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Any local auto parts store should have it, but i wouldnt recomend it as a permanent fix.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Leaking *shouldn't* be the nature of the beast... For the cost, nothing less than perfection is acceptable; at least in my book. Take it back...After all, you're the that was forced to wait over a month, and pay a large sum of money.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gapguy
Leaking *shouldn't* be the nature of the beast... For the cost, nothing less than perfection is acceptable; at least in my book. Take it back...After all, you're the that was forced to wait over a month, and pay a large sum of money.
Valid point.
However, Im hesitant to take it back for the reasons I dont want to be without my truck for an extended period of time. I know I wont have to pay for it, but thats not the issue. Besides, if I can end up fixing it myself, I'll be pretty stoked. It's really something I should tackle myself. Not from their business standpoint, but from my own and what works best for me.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

I dont see this being the nature of the beast either. None of the installs i have done leaked, none of the people i have wheeled with that have these had leaking issues, and i dont expect to have any either. My point is that they shouldnt leak at the adapter, and if they do it is not acceptable.

Now, on the ones ive done, and on the one i will be doing for mine, factory toyota gaskets were used between crawl boxes and the adapter. RTV can be used, but I prefer the gasket. Again, i havent seen any leaking problems, nor do i expect one from mine. If i have one, it will be prompty fixed, because that means something isnt right.

Like i said before, pull the rear case, clean up the mating surfaces, and RTV them up. Or, go one step further and use the toyota gasket between them. It really is not a difficult job, very basic hand tools, and a couple ratchet straps is all you really need. You dont even need a tranny jack, though it may make the job easier and safer. Get a couple buddies over, and dive into it.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is anyone using the red Toyota sealant? When we did my diffs, we did the Toyota "paper" gasket and the red sealant. I wonder if this combo would work better...
Old 05-26-2005, 04:18 PM

I consider the advantages of a dual marlin case perfection. Most of the thing we do to our trucks have very serious draw backs, (from mpg to increased breaking distance, and roll over tendancies) but they all heil in comparison to what we gain. While I would definatly try to fix it, I would still retain some perspective.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by 4rnr
I consider the advantages of a dual marlin case perfection. Most of the thing we do to our trucks have very serious draw backs, (from mpg to increased breaking distance, and roll over tendancies) but they all heil in comparison to what we gain. While I would definatly try to fix it, I would still retain some perspective.
werd....the ends justify the means, if you can fix it, fix it, like everyone says its fairly easy, mine leaked, twice, and i took it apart, cleaned all surfaces, re-RTV'd and assembled again.....twice, still leaks very slowly, barley noticable, but after i wheeled it for the first time with them, i really dont care anymore
Old 05-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
No experience w/ dual cases, but from an engineering standpoint, something that costs that much shouldn't leak...if it does, then the design and/or installation is simply flawed.

There are several guys around here that have dual cases and none of them leak...

If it was my rig and I had paid Marlin to put it in and paid that kind of money, you can bet your I would be taking it back and getting some compensation for it...why settle for less than perfection...

If you settle for fixing it yourself and you paid for it to be done right, you are cheating yourself IMO. I would think considering Marlin's rep he would do all he can to fix it right.

Have you bothered to even call and talk to Marlin yet? See what they say, at least before YOU tear into it.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 05-26-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Casey, I'll PM you my phone # and we'll arrainge a date so you can come by. I'll help you fix your leaking problem. I've had mine in for 1 1/2 years now and the only leak I've had came from my breather, when the hose fell off, otherwise there have been no problems. RTV if applied properly seals just fine.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:19 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceTS
Casey, I'll PM you my phone # and we'll arrainge a date so you can come by. I'll help you fix your leaking problem. I've had mine in for 1 1/2 years now and the only leak I've had came from my breather, when the hose fell off, otherwise there have been no problems. RTV if applied properly seals just fine.

That is why I love this place...

Old 05-26-2005, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by joez
Any local auto parts store should have it, but i wouldnt recomend it as a permanent fix.

I agree. If mine were leaking at the adapter plate, it would be out in a minute.

A couple things you can check on your own.

1.) See if the nuts holding the thing together have a lock washer
2.) Put a wrench on the nuts and recheck them for snugness. I never recieved install instructions with mine and torqued them to 60 ft lbs then rechecked them again after about 200 miles and they were loose.

I can almost garuantee Marlin used the stock toyota gasket and maybe even the RTV. I used just the gasket and No RTV and it sealed fine there. But for some crazy reason it leaks now at the shifter

Marlin's phone rings busy almost every time you call. Your best bet is to log onto the message board and post in the Customer support forum.

I say, fix it yourself, it's worth the education not to have to depend on someone else. IMO only. These other guys have a very valid point with the cash spent, it should be perfect.

Its your call.

Quick Reply: Marlin dual cases leaking...