Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Or Auto for crawling?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 10:51 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
for a street car, I call them slushboxes....

but I did the offroading with a 5-speed for a couple years...bleh. went through clutches every 15k miles or so (didn't help that I spent half the time pulling out my friend's jeeps). and I wouldn't even call that real crawling

it is a matter of personal preference, but I think 9 out of 10 people who ACTUALLY crawl, and are judging solely for crawling reasons, will say Auto.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i like auto over the rocks for sure. its much easier but of course i won't be bumpstarting an auto. i prefer to have both. yes i just bring both when i go wheeling and have someone else drive the auto. the manual would be the crawler
Old 03-22-2007, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah this old pissing contest.

I've had both auto and manual rigs. Driven other people rigs too. I think that this boils down to what you want. I liked my auto in my Grand because I didn't have to do the 3 pedal dance.
However I love the NV4500 in my cousin's TJ, the gearing is just so freaking low. He doesn't have to gas it up inclines, just put it in first and let the clutch out, I didn't believe it till I did it myself. He can leave it in first with the parking brake on and the truck won't die. It'll actually start to drive away after a bit which is a great laugh.

It boils down to what you want and what you perfer to drive.
I'm a manual person so that's what I've got.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Control and save? Aren't you the dude who drove off a flat trail and rolled in the snow?
I think that was Stu.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Control and save? Aren't you the dude who drove off a flat trail and rolled in the snow?
Yea, you also forgot laying it over while backing up on lefthand canyon. What's your point? You trying to say I can't drive?
Old 03-22-2007, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

I have the end to this argument......

Engine::Manual Tranny::Auto Tranny::Transfercase1::transfer case2:riveshaft....and so on

Find a way to mount an auto on the rear of your manual and you can have both.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:05 AM

Well i preffer a manual, my dd is a tacoma 5speed i do some pretty difficult trails. I like the added controll of a manual transmission, but for this particular rig i can not afford to continually replace the clutch. On the topic of low gears im going to gear it as low and slow as i possibly can regardless of tranny, and that may or may not be a solution to the incredible edible clutch. This truck hover will not be a daily driver, stricktly a trail rig and it will be trailored to and from offroading locations. That is why i was thinking auto would be easier, and the fact that the previous tranny was auto which means making it manual requires the addition of a new peddal and clutch assembly. Also remember that this is a datsun which is very silmiliar to a first gen yota but not exactly the same. And currently it has no engine or tranny or Tcase and all new ones will be used.

In this thread it sounds like most people preffer auto for crawling for simplicity sake. I love manual and hate auto for almost every situation so this is a tuff one for me. In the end it comes down to the dollar value and the need to repair. As far as clutches go does anybody have any idea of a particular system that makes the clutch less suceptible to sliping and roasting? Posi clutch or dual friction clutch maybe?

the feedback is good keep it coming

if anybody actually knows of a doable way to mount a manual AND auto send me everything you have because that would be a really cool project and i would love to have that versatility.

Last edited by apalmer1; 03-22-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by apalmer1
if anybody actually knows of a doable way to mount a manual AND auto send me everything you have because that would be a really cool project and i would love to have that versatility.
I agree! That would be awesome. The only talk I have ever heard of this is in the daul tranny thread on pirate.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132841
I don't think its to that point yet, maybe someday.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:31 AM

Aside from the previously mentioned benefits/drawbacks......

I like having a manual because you never know when your starter is gonna go out (Get banged, getting wet, ooooh that sounds dirty). It's nice to be able to pop the clutch and know I'm gonna start. You're dead in the water with an auto....as far as I know.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
Aside from the previously mentioned benefits/drawbacks......

I like having a manual because you never know when your starter is gonna go out (Get banged, getting wet, ooooh that sounds dirty). It's nice to be able to pop the clutch and know I'm gonna start. You're dead in the water with an auto....as far as I know.
Amen.

Starter went in my auto rig. Tried hammering it, crossing the terminals, etc. Nothing worked.
Thank god for CAA.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by apalmer1
As far as clutches go does anybody have any idea of a particular system that makes the clutch less suceptible to sliping and roasting? Posi clutch or dual friction clutch maybe?
I have run a couple of clutches behind the 22re. I can tell you a few things:

Stock Clutch:

With wrong axle gearing you will wear it out by having to slip it to get rolling on the street.

With propper gearing, still needed to slip it and wore it out in 4low in the rocks.

3.0V6 clutch:

Actually fits some of the 4cyl flywheels, slight upgrade, less slipping in 4low

Downey SuperClutch II. Flywheel utilizes 3.4liter V6 clutch, definitely much better grabbing. I wouldn't have it any other way now.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:58 AM

Just run an auto with a clutch in front of the torque convertor it is possible, thats how my Physics teacher has his drag car set up.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by 2KTacoma
Just run an auto with a clutch in front of the torque convertor it is possible, thats how my Physics teacher has his drag car set up.
How exactly does that work? benefits?

i like the idea behind the pirat 4x4 thread. dual transmissions where you can set the gears on each differently to make a low range, or set them the same to drive normally without having different gears or dual cases. toque going from one tranny to another could be an issue, as well as length and making it all fit.

incase any of you want to see the truck im talking about here is the thread with pics https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/new-project-truck-110744/
Old 03-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

Auto, IMHO, gives some very fine control when in a difficult technical section. Having a crawler box just adds to the level of control.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:22 AM

With an auto is it possible to start in 2nd, 3rd, 4th,or 5th?

Or does the auto just switch when it feels it revving to much?

Seems like having the auto think for you kind a takes the control away. Also, it seems if the auto is set to opperate one way, doing a double case setup would confuse it. I'm sure I'm missing something here.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:27 AM

To rehash...

You start in first whether the tranny is in D or L. It shifts if you rev. Picking L keeps it in L. Picking 2 keeps it in 2 after it shifts from L.

I meant the control seemed to have paid off.

I can grab reverse when it gets sketch or pull neutral to grab brakes at least as fast as you can clutch and shift. One foot and one hand move compared to both feet and finding the gear. I watched a real life endo where the guy missed reverse so all you heard were grinding gears as he went over.

You are that worried about a starter taking a dump? Reminds me of the time I ripped out all my toe and finger nails so I would not get an in grown nail.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:16 PM

I love your anaologies Adrian. Thanks for clearing up how an auto works.

I'm not that worried about starters, but a benefit is a benefit. And it was one that was overlooked.

Grinding gears is definitely a negative which, I'm not sure has been mentioned. I think even the best manual drivers will grind gears now and again quick shifting in the rocks.....or at least that what I keep telling myself.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Reminds me of the time I ripped out all my toe and finger nails so I would not get an in grown nail.
You do that too? I have been ingrown free for years.

It is excellent that this has only been discussed 10000000000 times on yotatech, and at least that much elsewhere.

If you are worried about burning up clutches, you don't know how to drive stick. When crawling, you should not use the clutch more than you do on the street: Start, stop, shift gears. Nothing more.

Get whatever will be the most fun for you to drive. You are building a custom truck, this means you get to put in whatever you'd like the most. It doesn't mean you have to go with whatever the internet says is cool.

Both trannies will work equally as well.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
...Get whatever will be the most fun for you to drive. You are building a custom truck, this means you get to put in whatever you'd like the most. It doesn't mean you have to go with whatever the internet says is cool...
Quote of the year, right there.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:10 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
If you are worried about burning up clutches, you don't know how to drive stick. When crawling, you should not use the clutch more than you do on the street: Start, stop, shift gears. Nothing more.
only if you're gearing is low enough. Stock gearing is not low enough, and regearing aint cheap.

Quick Reply: Manual Or Auto for crawling?