Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IFs Definitely Blows II !

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFS Definitely Blows II !

I was trying to edit, and get a picture of my truck up, and deleted the previous thread. Anyway, here we go again. I was up to 29 replies and 197 views just to keep track. I'm including a pic of my truck -- so take note, so if you see me on the trail you can kick my A$$ over this. IFS is weaker and more prone to break as previously mentioned in thread # 1. I can't beilieve how many people were furious over this though. I wanted some arguments on the subject. But all I got were pissed off people that were telling me I was outta line, postal worker, or some kind of troll that was going to hell. I dunno but this is the "OFFROAD" forum pertaining to mods and upgrades etc. Anyway, Let me know what you think. I had IFS for years and years and was considered one of the craziest offroaders around my town. I rolled my truck and blew up a motor with IFS also. I'm not dogging it at all. But if you want to "Beef" and also "Step" it up. The SAS is the only way to go. It's stronger, allows more flex, there's more lockers available, and I can do an allignment in my garage. I have three buddies with IFS and everyone of them have a busted front end. That's all.

Last edited by lcopelan22; 11-13-2003 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:09 PM

No one is disagreeing with you.
You can also post in the "check out my truck" section and have a whole page to yourself to show off your truck.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

you beat me to it, firsttoy.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:33 PM

Re: IFS Definitely Blows II !

Originally posted by lcopelan22
The SAS is the only way to go.
I don't know if I'd go so far to say it's the only way to go but it's definitely the best "bang for the buck" way to go in my opinion. It's simple, and strong.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:38 PM

I was trying to edit, and get a picture of my truck up, and deleted the previous thread. Anyway, here we go again. I was up to 29 replies and 197 views just to keep track. I'm including a pic of my truck -- so take note, so if you see me on the trail you can kick my A$$ over this. IFS is weaker and more prone to break as previously mentioned in thread # 1. I can't beilieve how many people were furious over this though. I wanted some arguments on the subject. But all I got were pissed off people that were telling me I was outta line, postal worker, or some kind of troll that was going to hell. I dunno but this is the "OFFROAD" forum pertaining to mods and upgrades etc. Anyway, Let me know what you think. I had IFS for years and years and was considered one of the craziest offroaders around my town. I rolled my truck and blew up a motor with IFS also. I'm not dogging it at all. But if you want to "Beef" and also "Step" it up. The SAS is the only way to go. It's stronger, allows more flex, there's more lockers available, and I can do an allignment in my garage. I have three buddies with IFS and everyone of them have a busted front end. That's all.
I completely understand what you're saying. I'm in the process of getting an axle from an 84 for my truck. I don't think any will dissagree with you on the fact that IFS sucks for most off roading situations. I know I agree. All I was trying to say is that there isn't a need for a solid axle unless you need it off road. The places that I go/want to go, I need a solid axle. There are some people who don't want to go as far or as hard as we do. That's all I was trying to say.

Last edited by oly884; 11-13-2003 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:06 AM
Contributing Member

No one was disagreeing with you, but when you posted that first entry you sounded like you were all pissed off because you think everyone thinks that IFS is better than SAS. No one here is stupid, we all know that SAS is better off-road(this topic has been run into the ground), but many here don't have the time nor the money to go to the extreme of swapping their IFS with SAS, nor do many of us wanna sacrifice the ride quality of the IFS since many of us use these as daily drivers. I guess since you have SAS you're more of a man or something (or maybe you're just compensating) whatever it is man you need to chill out, the world is not gonna end because everyone doesn't have SAS. Anyway hope you're having fun with you almighty SAS truck, Talk to you later Captain Obvious.

Jonathan

Last edited by Jonathan; 11-14-2003 at 04:10 AM.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

*yawn*

SAS is completely unnecessary for the offroading I do with my 4Runner. I wouldn't take it places that required that kind of flex anyway.

I guess that makes me a big wuss in your mind.

Chris
Old 11-14-2003, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're preaching to the choir man. I think just about everyone here knows a solid axle is better for rockcrawling. But, not everybody is ready for a SAS yet. I believe it's better to work your way up to the SAS rather than jump right in. It's part of the learning process, IFS forces you to think about what the best lines are, what would happen if this rock was moved there, etc etc. Plus a completely built truck just makes the trails that were once challanging, boring. Then you want to try bigger trails that end up breaking the axle you just put in, so you upgrade to a dana 60. After that, you roll it and go buggy. Why not just go buggy from the beginning? I can start a new thread titled, "SAS blows, buggies rule."

Back to my original point, I could just go out and buy hersh's SAS'd 2nd gen and rule the trails, but then I'd miss out on the learning process that goes with wheeling ifs.

flygenstein, the thread starter of the original "why does ifs blow" knows SAS is in his future as I know it's in mine. But, I want to push ifs to it's limits first and that includes getting a crawler before the SAS.

Last edited by Robinhood150; 11-14-2003 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Re: Re: IFS Definitely Blows II !

Originally posted by Jonathan
No one was disagreeing with you, but when you posted that first entry you sounded like you were all pissed off because you think everyone thinks that IFS is better than SAS. No one here is stupid, we all know that SAS is better off-road(this topic has been run into the ground), but many here don't have the time nor the money to go to the extreme of swapping their IFS with SAS, nor do many of us wanna sacrifice the ride quality of the IFS since many of us use these as daily drivers. I guess since you have SAS you're more of a man or something (or maybe you're just compensating) whatever it is man you need to chill out, the world is not gonna end because everyone doesn't have SAS. Anyway hope you're having fun with you almighty SAS truck, Talk to you later Captain Obvious.

Jonathan
Old 11-14-2003, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

I'm not dogging it {IFS} at all.
I have three buddies with IFS and everyone of them have a busted front end.
You aren't?
Old 11-14-2003, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Robinhood150
You're preaching to the choir man. I think just about everyone here knows a solid axle is better for rockcrawling. But, not everybody is ready for a SAS yet. I believe it's better to work your way up to the SAS rather than jump right in. It's part of the learning process, IFS forces you to think about what the best lines are, what would happen if this rock was moved there, etc etc. Plus a completely built truck just makes the trails that were once challanging, boring. Then you want to try bigger trails that end up breaking the axle you just put in, so you upgrade to a dana 60. After that, you roll it and go buggy. Why not just go buggy from the beginning? I can start a new thread titled, "SAS blows, buggies rule."

Back to my original point, I could just go out and buy hersh's SAS'd 2nd gen and rule the trails, but then I'd miss out on the learning process that goes with wheeling ifs.

flygenstein, the thread starter of the original "why does ifs blow" knows SAS is in his future as I know it's in mine. But, I want to push ifs to it's limits first and that includes getting a crawler before the SAS.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Not sure what the top picture had to do with anything. Looks like about 5" of travel being utilized. Do you need a SFA for tree crawling?

Last edited by Darren; 11-14-2003 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 96 Runner:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not dogging it {IFS} at all.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
I have three buddies with IFS and everyone of them have a busted front end.

quote:

You aren't

Exactly!

Last edited by Jonathan; 11-14-2003 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:58 AM

You Aren't??????????

I don't really get the thread above. Man your a funny guy let me tell you. That's the best one I have heard all day. That picture was me trying out my new axle. Are they all supposed to do that? "climb trees" It flexes alot harder now that I got longer rear shocks. I'm sorry but I just want someone to tell me the description of the trucks- 4 runners section. That's where you should be talking about your SUV.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:07 AM

Exclamation

4Runners, Trucks, & SUVs
Discussion which relates to Toyota 4Runners, trucks or SUVs. This includes mods and tech questions which are not only geared towards 4wheeling or maintenance

That's where you should hang out.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:13 AM

Re: You Aren't??????????

I don't really get the thread above. Man your a funny guy let me tell you. That's the best one I have heard all day. That picture was me trying out my new axle. Are they all supposed to do that? "climb trees" It flexes alot harder now that I got longer rear shocks. I'm sorry but I just want someone to tell me the description of the trucks- 4 runners section. That's where you should be talking about your SUV.
Actually, no.

This section is for offroad, plain and simple. Doesn't matter if it's 2wd or 4wd, lifted or not. I'm locking this thread because it has no value whatsoever, please do not bring up this arguement again. We all have our own opinions of what is better and what is best for our needs, leave it at that.