Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I set backlash on a R&P?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what should the backlash be on a 8" V6??????
Old 04-29-2005, 03:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok I have a question. What is backlash? Zuk I have looked at your website and there is some good info and nice pics but I'm still not sure if my truck is suffering from backlash.

How much rotational play (clockwise/counter-clockwise) should there be at the 3rd and transfer case flanges? I can rotate mine (rotational only, no in/out or up down play) about a 1/2" either direction. Is this right or do I need to tighten something up and what would that something be. The truck has to be put into 4th to shift into reverse, and down shifting into 2nd is a chore without grinding or slowing way down. Thanks for any insite that can be given.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:00 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Hey Brad---I don't think there's even a spec for the rotational slop....but half an inch each way sounds normal to me . With only a half inch you must have an open diff or maybe limited slip. Doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about there.

You have to shift into 4th to grab reverse? That sounds like crappy tranny gear oil or syncros getting picky....try some synthetic tranny oil for that. RedLine would be my fav.

Thanks for the thumbs up on my hobby site. Some people highlight their dogs and cats and family...or their trucks/cars.....me?...I kinda skew mine towards gear teeth stuff
Old 04-29-2005, 05:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thread hi Jack for a question

Sorry to Hi Jack this thread but I have a question.

I am installing an ez locker in my 3rd member tomorrow. I've read all that I can find and even looked at the pictures on ZUK's site. Should I be worried about anything ? I plan on cleaning and marking everything and it looks
like it is going to be pretty straight forward. I'm a pretty good mechanic but I've never messed with a differential. The instructions from the Detroit
EZ locker leave a lot to be desired !!!!!!

Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZUK
Hey Brad---I don't think there's even a spec for the rotational slop....but half an inch each way sounds normal to me . With only a half inch you must have an open diff or maybe limited slip. Doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about there.

You have to shift into 4th to grab reverse? That sounds like crappy tranny gear oil or syncros getting picky....try some synthetic tranny oil for that. RedLine would be my fav.

Thanks for the thumbs up on my hobby site. Some people highlight their dogs and cats and family...or their trucks/cars.....me?...I kinda skew mine towards gear teeth stuff
Ok thanks for vote of confidence that there is nothing wrong, and yes it is an open diff. Should have stated that everything is stock. I am in the process of changing all my fluids after I found water in the diff fluid. (see chocolate milk in my diff thread). The gear oil in all came from the dealer last time my buddy and I changed the motor.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:48 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc279
Sorry to Hi Jack this thread but I have a question.

I am installing an ez locker in my 3rd member tomorrow. I've read all that I can find and even looked at the pictures on ZUK's site. Should I be worried about anything ? I plan on cleaning and marking everything and it looks
like it is going to be pretty straight forward. I'm a pretty good mechanic but I've never messed with a differential. The instructions from the Detroit
EZ locker leave a lot to be desired !!!!!!

Thanks for the responses.
mark the ring gear so it lines up during re-install and make sure you physically mark the bearing adjusters with some lines or arrows.....none of that count the thread stuff. I never did figure out the instructions either

Last edited by ZUK; 04-29-2005 at 02:50 PM.