Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full time locker in the back????

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Full time locker in the back????

Ok I'm thinking about getting the lock rite for the rear. It's not selectable. Does anyone else run a full time locker? How badly does it behave? Any scary stories? I'm mostly concerned about my back end sliding away from me.

What have experienced been in the snow, rain, cornering?

If the consensus is that this is bad, what is the most affordable, reliable selectable locker??

Thanks -Seth
Old 06-22-2004, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you wanna run a full time locker in the back, I hope ur rig is a trail rig only. And if so, just weld the spider gears. That'll give you your full time locker for free
Old 06-22-2004, 02:06 PM

Yeah, I've thought about it too, but figured I'd go front end so I could just unlock hubs. Then I got to talking with Schaeffer and according to him the savings would only be a few hundred. I haven't actually crunched the numbers, but if that is true then I might as well wait, save some extra dough, and get a true selectable. Plus I'd have the bonus of an on board compressor if I went ARB. The cost would be based on me not doing the work myself.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Banned

locker and a spider weld is not the same! the locker will unlock in turns to allow the diff to diffferentiate the wheelspeed if you arent on the throttle in a turn... if you are, both wheels will spin and probably spin out
Old 06-22-2004, 02:22 PM

I run a full detroit locker in my rear end and mine is a daily driver. I think all of these horror stories that people hear are a little exagerated. I live in Colorado where there is snow, rain, and sun. When it is really snowy I just use a little more caution. But I really don't think that having a locker all the time is that bad.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Banned

it isnt.... if you KNOW how to drive properly and arent a moron driver, having a locker in everyday drivers is just fine
Old 06-22-2004, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by deathrunner
Ok I'm thinking about getting the lock rite for the rear. It's not selectable. Does anyone else run a full time locker? How badly does it behave? Any scary stories? I'm mostly concerned about my back end sliding away from me.

If the consensus is that this is bad, what is the most affordable, reliable selectable locker??

Thanks -Seth

Any non-selectable locker will take some getting used to. They bang, pop, and jerk sometimes. It's something you'll have to be willing to deal with. If you're aren't willing to live with that, then save up for an ARB.

That said, a Lock-Right is probably the cheapest and easiest to install, but will likely make more noise and jerks. (I had one for 2.5 years).

A full Detroit locker costs a lot more and is a more difficult install, but I've heard good things about them.

Right now my junk has a spool (a real one, not welded spider gears) and I actually prefer it to my Lock-Right. It chirps tires around corners, but it doesn't bang, pop, buck, and jerk like my locker would sometimes do. (This is pretty much a trail only rig though; I wouldn't recommend a spool or welded diff for a daily driver).

As for snow, etc., I haven't had any problems driving with either my old locker or my current spooled rear. Once you learn the characteristics and behavior of a locker, it's no problem controlling your rig.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 95red4runner
I run a full detroit locker in my rear end and mine is a daily driver. I think all of these horror stories that people hear are a little exagerated. I live in Colorado where there is snow, rain, and sun. When it is really snowy I just use a little more caution. But I really don't think that having a locker all the time is that bad.
100% agreed. I rand a Detroit EZ in my '96. As long as you arent driving recklessly, you're fine. It can also play to your advantage in many situations. Running 32.8 MTR's it always unlocked on slow turns...even when it was raining. I never had a scarey moment with it. WHen you know it's back there...you're more cautious.

When it snows...go find an empty parking lot and learn how to drive it. It's not hard at all...
Old 06-22-2004, 04:29 PM

If you got the bucks, go for ARB or Toyota elec. locker with mod to the housing. otherwise, the detroit locker is great. I had that for a few yrs. took me everywhere I wanted to go. I got used to it on the street.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by deathrunner

Thanks -Seth
My friend had a 89 Jeep Cherokee on 33"s Lockrite in back, took a corner a little to fast and we did a 540, and then went over the side of the road, rolled once and landed upright. We were able to drive out, but his car was totalled, the roof was bent down so far on my side (i hit first) i could put my head up out the front window if i sat straight. Totalled his car, and gave us a couple good bruises.

Id save the couple extra hundred and get a selectable locker.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:36 PM
Banned

again, if you arent a moron while driving you should be fine....

i am a moron with driving, and i know that when i get a locker i will have to drive differently
Old 06-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

I have been running a detroit for the last 2 years--by far the best mod I have done to my truck. I can tell about 90% of the time when it is going to lock and unlock-spends most of the time locked thanks to the lead foot needed to get the 3. slow up to speed.

By the way I see you are from SD--keep your eyes on the trairide board and come out with is for a run.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

I can't complain re: Detroit

I haven't had any problems w/ my Detroit(s). Daily driving on the road is fine. If you nail it around corners you'll get chirps but the Detroit has no popping banging or jerking.
Of course w/ 300+ days of sunshine I can't say I'm totally used to driving it under harsh conditions on the road. But I've had my share of getting used to it on the trail.
In conclusion, a Detroit Soft Locker in the rear won't dissapoint.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:44 PM

wynn- What's a soft locker??? I'd never heard of pops

Marc P- I definitely want to come out on some rides. I'll keep checking.

Pops, jerks and bucks don't sound too appealing. What is the cheapest selectable that would provide reliability?
Old 06-23-2004, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Detroit trutrac, e-z, electrac, and softlocker are the different models with detroit locker.
No pops, jerks, or bucks (well maybe a few bucks, er benjamins).
Old 06-23-2004, 08:21 PM

Who makes a selectable unit for the 8 inch? ARB isn't too appealing because of price and the need for their compressor. I've also heard the bag inside can break easily.

How much is the Toyota Electric locker?

Do Eaton or Detroit make an electric locker for me? I can't find any info.

Oh yeah and how much better does the softlocker behave??Is it pretty quiet?

I know I have alot of questions....but there is very little info on this stuff on the web.
Thanks -Seth

Last edited by deathrunner; 06-23-2004 at 09:49 PM.