Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front range offroad a/c to oba conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question front range offroad a/c to oba conversion

anyone here using the a/c conversion to oba, from front range offroad? like it? dont like it? miss your a/c? considered it but decided against removing the a/c?

thanks,
sean
Old 08-16-2004, 03:28 PM

You can do it cheaper on your own. I believe there are some writeups out there. I've got all the parts minus the electronic pressure switch. Once I have a free weekend I'll hook it all up. If you just do some basic research on how air systems are setup, you should have enough basic knowledge to create your own system. Just make sure to put an oiler before the AC pump so you don't burn it out, and a filter afterwards so you get oil inside your tires.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:54 AM

The point of FROR's kit is for people who either don't know how or are intimidated to learn how to make their own system from scratch. This is a kit offered as a one stop solution. I think if he were already savvy in the ways of all things mechanical, then he most likely wouldn't have posted this question in the first place. Besides, How much money can you save by doing it yourself when the kit includes all this:

• Regulator
• Intake oiler
• Outlet filter/dryer
• Retracting nylon air hose
• Tire chuck
• Air manifold
• Pressure gauge
• Check valve
• Assorted fittings, hose clamps, and hose

You might be able to save a few bucks but what about the time and energy to first investigate and then track down all the parts and know how to complete the install properly?

Front Range also sells just the modified manifold for only $20 for people who want to do the rest themselves.

I personally think it is a good kit for it's intended purpose.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:55 PM

IMO, i would spend $200 for one of the "power tanks" on ebay before i chopped up my AC on a tundra, esp. if its a DD

that said, i never use my a/c because it drains too much power that the 4 banger doesnt have so when and if it loses its charge, its going to be OBA.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by SEAN_at_TLT
The point of FROR's kit...
youre right, ive never put together an air system before. that being said, dont dis a guy's mechanical aptitude unless you know him .

i can get "complete" kits from a variety of places, including wandering in to a local shop and asking somebody to help me source the appropriate parts. this potentially saves me a lot of time, and makes it worth buying a kit rather than going diy piecemeal. the result and knowledge gained are the same for anyone with an interest in why they are doing what they are doing. anyone who doesnt care and wont learn will get bad stuck.

i can choose either an a/c conversion, an electric pump or a tank...i guess i should have been more specific...

if you converted the a/c, do you miss the a/c? do you like the conversion, or do you dislike the conversion? is life now easier or harder? what duty cycle can you run it at, as an air compressor (i assume 100%)? have you ever overloaded, overheated, burned out the compressor? do you wish youd gone with a tank or an electric compressor instead?

i am not asking if it's easy, i am not asking what youd do in my shoes, i am not asking where to find the parts, im asking if youve converted your oem toyota a/c compressor to oba and if you like it, more specifically if youve done so with the parts supplied with the fror kit and liked it, or if youd recommend diy-ing the parts instead. commawn, i can find hose clamps at home depot fer cryin out loud, and i already have some hose for the garage compressor...this is less about the kit and more about the results of the conversion, but the kit looks like a good deal for what's included.

pricewise, it's not a bad deal compared to going with an electric compressor or a tank. this way, i already own the compressor, and i dont have to recharge before every trip and hope it lasts a week and multiple runs with four trucks.

-sean
Old 08-18-2004, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

Why does it say that you cannot keep your AC? I have seen compressors mounted above the alternator, so it is possible to keep your AC!
Old 08-19-2004, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by DevinSixtySeven
youre right, ive never put together an air system before. that being said, dont dis a guy's mechanical aptitude unless you know him .
if you converted the a/c, do you miss the a/c? do you like the conversion, or do you dislike the conversion? is life now easier or harder? what duty cycle can you run it at, as an air compressor (i assume 100%)? have you ever overloaded, overheated, burned out the compressor? do you wish youd gone with a tank or an electric compressor instead?
...im asking if youve converted your oem toyota a/c compressor to oba and if you like it, more specifically if youve done so with the parts supplied with the fror kit and liked it, or if youd recommend diy-ing the parts instead. commawn, i can find hose clamps at home depot fer cryin out loud, and i already have some hose for the garage compressor...this is less about the kit and more about the results of the conversion, but the kit looks like a good deal for what's included.

-sean
With that said, I wasn't trying to "dis a guy's mechanical aptitude" without knowing him. However I wanted to point out who I perceived the target audience for the specific kit was. Perhaps I should have mentioned a third type of person this kit is for, one who is fully capable of doing such a conversion but does not choose to take the time to learn all of the information and do it himself. Of course that could be anyone really.

Where I live it frequently hits triple digits so I kept my AC. I have a Sun quick air II that handles my compressed air needs including running my ARB and inflating tires.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by SEAN_at_TLT
With that said...
ok, i'm backin' off ...

im honestly leaning towards an electric compressor because i didnt use the ac in triple digit heat on the trail, but i use it all the time around town when i have to dress up for work in high nineties and high humidity. not nearly as easy to go without ac as when going commando in surf shorts in single digit humidity.

-sean
Old 08-20-2004, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by DevinSixtySeven
ok, i'm backin' off ...

im honestly leaning towards an electric compressor because i didnt use the ac in triple digit heat on the trail, but i use it all the time around town when i have to dress up for work in high nineties and high humidity. not nearly as easy to go without ac as when going commando in surf shorts in single digit humidity.

-sean
exactly what I was thinking when I chose to get an electric compressor!
Old 08-20-2004, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

How many CFM's will the toy AC compressor push?