Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Demello Offroad 4th Gen Rear Bumper Pix!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, figured I better clear this one up...

The bumper weighs in at about 40lbs, and the spare tire + carrier at another 50lbs...

Hope that takes care of it...i think i just heard someone whisper dual gas tanks...???...hmmmmm...

Later all,

Billy
Old 04-22-2004, 07:21 PM

50 lbs???

That is a lot of bumper to just weigh 50 lbs.

Gadget
Old 04-22-2004, 07:41 PM
Banned

if only i had the money ... that thing looks awesome, Lance.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:43 PM

Thanks guys for the nice words

This bumper took allot of time to build! It's nice to here it people actully like it! For a while I wasn't sure where it would go! The first thing is, it took much more work than any other project I have done to get it how I wanted it! And even now I see room for improvment!

The questions?

Weight?
Everyone wants to know what it weighs, well my best guess (cause I never really weighed it. The bumper it self maybe 50-60 lbs one person can easily pic it up (well one of me) and install it on the truck. The tire gate on the other hand is a little heavy! Much heavier than I would like, maybe 50-60 lbs.

Why so big?
Well as lance said the sides of the new runners come down right to the frame. I pushed the limits of this to make it not so bulky! The problem is the rear part of the frame is even lower! Notice how the bumper comes down in the back. That is to cover the frame.

Material:
The bumper it self is 10 gauge which works out to about 1\8in steel. Pretty thin but the way I put the bends in, it stiffens it up quite a bit! The gate is made out of 2x2in .120 box tube. Just like square sliders. The shakles are 1in thick and go thru the bumper and bolt to the frame via smaller plate.

How did I make it:
Well I'm a small shop (with big ideas) If I see something I want to make I just make it, I don't look at how difficult it will be I just do it! (thats prolly not a good thing tho) That being said most fabricators will notice the bends on the side and all sheet metal work. I don't have a brake or even a plasma cutter for that mater. It was all done at a neighbor shop with the combination of a sheet metal sheer, very small brake and a torch. What you can't see in those pics if the work behind the tail gate. It mounts right up the body. It also took allot of welding! There are two welds that run the width of the bumper! Grinded smooth then welded again. LONG ASS PROCESS! This bumper was built on and off for about (what lance) 2 months? 3 months? I think I have about 2-3 weeks solid work time in this thing!

Will I ever make one again & how much: (I'm sure someone will ask again)
At this Time no way! I gave Lance a great deal on this bumper and the front bumper. I really just wanted to see if I could do them..lol But this rear bumper "as a one off type thing" takes way to much time! Way to much shop time and way to much work! If there was ever enough demand I would clean this version up and have it reversed engineered then lazer cut out and pre broke before I even got it! But that would mean at least 10 plus orders and even then the cost will still be high "by us working peoples standards!"
The front bumper I do plan to work out the details and have it made.

Thanks again guys for all the nice comments it makes it worth it to spend so much time on a project

And a really big thanks to Lance! He was by far one of the most paitient customers I ever had, and still have we need to finish up some other goodies for his truck!

Any questions ask away!
Old 04-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Lance, did the back drop as much as you thought it would?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Bud

Lance,
are you going to test that at Miller Jeep Trail with TTORA in 2 weeks?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:22 PM

That bumper is MOST EXCELLENT!! I love the hi lift mount! Nice work Jason!

What are your plans with the exhaust?

oh, and see you sunday!
Old 04-22-2004, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Phalanx
That bumper is MOST EXCELLENT!! I love the hi lift mount! Nice work Jason!

What are your plans with the exhaust?

oh, and see you sunday!
Ok I give up whats sunday?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:42 PM

Oh, just meeting up with Lance to do some "shootin"

Last edited by Phalanx; 04-22-2004 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:47 PM

My guess is some sort of terrifying gun battle. Maybe with T-800's and ˟˟˟˟ like that all over the place.

Maybe even T-1000's!

Holy Crap! Count me out!

:chicken:

Last edited by ilion; 04-22-2004 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:51 PM

From what i hear, you all best be bringin your mac 10's w/ 150 round banana clips or you wont stand a chance...two gas tanks...???...hmmm....

Billy
Old 04-22-2004, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lookin' saweeeeet man!! I bet you'll scare away all the Hummers with 22" down there in SoCal!!
Old 04-23-2004, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

Lance your truck has sure evolved since our first run to Anza Borrego last year when you didnt even have plates yet.

It looks really good. Probably the only reason I have come to like the 4th gen runners.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

Your rig rocks Lance! One of a kind!
Old 04-23-2004, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

First off, thanks for the warm complements It's come along way to get this far and I have to give my hats off to Jason for working hard. I know this has been a grueling task as it's the first of it's kind. Something that takes lots of craftsmanship and stress as he has to make something that the public will appreciate. I gotta say, it's more than what I was expecting so I'm totally excited. That said, if you guys want stuff done, Jason's the man to goto!!

The cool feature that Jason added to this tire carrier is that if I want to remove it completely, it can come off So that said, if the tire carrier is off, the rear bumper will look almost stock (i think).

Btw, the exhaust will get cut off. I'm gonna have to figure out a safe place to route it as I have plans for the spare tire carrier spot.

Victor: I'll measure the truck tomorrow when I see ya I'm abit lazy to get back out there in the sun (not like it's that hot though... lol). I think I lost 1" or almost that much as it's pretty level (front and rear) now.

Keith: I'm gonna try to show up for the Miller Jeep but right now I doubt I'll have time. Gotta go ring shopping for my roommate. He's taking the plunge and he needs some knocking on the head I will be at Pismo for sure though.

Gadget: Just for ya, I took some pix of the tire carrier

Old 04-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Dang that's awesome!
I love how that tire carrier has that horizontal "H" thing going

Nice work Jason!
Old 04-23-2004, 11:40 AM
lee
Contributing Member

seriously, whats cooler than that.

its like manly H2 styling in slick toyota packaging.

so awesome.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

thats definitely a stout lookin bumper...
Old 04-23-2004, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Good Times
Keith: I'm gonna try to show up for the Miller Jeep but right now I doubt I'll have time. Gotta go ring shopping for my roommate. He's taking the plunge and he needs some knocking on the head I will be at Pismo for sure though.
Lance, I also hope you can show up for the Miller Jeep Trail on May 1. I'll most likely be in attendance then (without my 4Runner). I hope to meet you and see your 4Runner. I've recently been considering a new hinge for my rear bumper that incorporates 2 greasable Johnny Joints. Your Demello design is the first I've seen that's anywhere close to that style of hinge design. It looks like yours are poly bushings, right? You also have the first bolt-on hitch receiver I've ever seen. That looks interesting, too.

Last edited by Jeff the marmot; 04-23-2004 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff the marmot
Lance, I also hope you can show up for the Miller Jeep Trail on May 1. I'll most likely be in attendance then (without my 4Runner). I hope to meet you and see your 4Runner. I've recently been considering a new hinge for my rear bumper that incorporates 2 greasable Johnny Joints. Your Demello design is the first I've seen that's anywhere close to that style of hinge design. It looks like yours are poly bushings, right? You also have the first bolt-on hitch receiver I've ever seen. That looks interesting, too.
The johhny joints "may" not be the best choice for some mounts, They tend to have allot of play in them up and down. For a style like the one I built here I would use either derlin (sp) or bronze bushings (as soon as I make some I'm going to throw some on lances bumper) They are much more rigid!

The reciever is kinda differnt it's actully not bolted on. The factory one bolts to those bolt mounts and hangs belowe the frame. I removed it's base and sunk a new hitch tube into the frame. It took allot of torching and a little bit of welding! The frame had several layers really weird but I got it in there. The only reason those bolts are there is so if he ever wanted to add the old mount back on he could. It also doesn't hurt to have the bumper mounted to that rear frame section.

Anymore questions let me know.
Jason

Quick Reply: Demello Offroad 4th Gen Rear Bumper Pix!