Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cv axle or not...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cv axle or not...?

i had great answers and help on my welded diff thread so lets see how this one works out ha

recently in tellico i went wheeling and after the trip (with my manual hubs locked) and when i would turn really sharpe, my left cv axle would pop. i was told that the axle was broken. well tonight i finally went and bought a new one because the boot on the axle was busted badly anyway. but i turns out that i dont think it is the axle. when i put it in 4wd, both hubs locked, i leave the side i believe is busted suspended in the air while the other front tire is on the ground. i try to turn the tire suspended and it won't turn unless the other side turns with it. likewise when i spin the tire, the cv axle that is believed to be broked spins as well. so... is there still a possibility the axle is broken or is there something else i am going to have to fix? i already bought the new one and the boot is busted anyway so it will be replaced eventually, but if thats not the probably then what is it? a hub popping? i've done everything 2 of my friends w/ toyotas has told me to do but i still don't know

also when i went to take my hubs off, the manual i have said there should be a ring on the inside of that hub... there was no ring. there was a bolt and washer (what the manual said should be in an automatic hub) so is the manual wrong? i'm just all confused and in a fluster over this . so any help is welcome!

and if you have done this before... please let me know what exactly is going on.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Chase,

did you take the whole hub off or just the hub cover? You gotta take the whole thing off to reach where the snap ring is, its like 12 or so bolts. Did you have to deal with cone washers? I'd suggest getting a brass drift or hammer to get those off of the hub.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:34 PM

the poping is likely the CV. No it is likely not completly broke, just so worn out from being exposed to the elements (no boot) that it has tons of slop. Replace it and while you are in there check your wheel bearings, hub gear, spindle bushing. (IFS has one of those right I dont remember).

As for the c-clip. No your truck doesnt have one. Just undo the 12mm bolt/washer and your good to go.

Last edited by 4rnr; 01-20-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by crolison
Hey Chase,

did you take the whole hub off or just the hub cover? You gotta take the whole thing off to reach where the snap ring is, its like 12 or so bolts. Did you have to deal with cone washers? I'd suggest getting a brass drift or hammer to get those off of the hub.
Nope. you cant remove the hub body first. the washer (or sometimes a c-clip) is on the out side of the hub.

BTW its 6 bolts, washers, cone washers.

Last edited by 4rnr; 01-20-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:39 PM

no i ran out of time and didn't get around to getting the whole thing off. tomorrow when i have more time i can get around to it. i'm more worried about getting everything back on there right than i am taking it off. i didn't make it to the cone washers. i was just so confused on what everyone there was telling me and what i was seeing in the manual i got sick of it all haha. but tomorrow i will have more time than today and can get on it.

i'll get back to yall on all of it tomorrow. just hearing and seeing how the 4wd seemed to still be working mostly but hearing otherwise and all that is got me all out of wack. also learned i needed new brakes too haha.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 88Cleve4runner
no i ran out of time and didn't get around to getting the whole thing off. tomorrow when i have more time i can get around to it. i'm more worried about getting everything back on there right than i am taking it off. i didn't make it to the cone washers. i was just so confused on what everyone there was telling me and what i was seeing in the manual i got sick of it all haha. but tomorrow i will have more time than today and can get on it.

i'll get back to yall on all of it tomorrow. just hearing and seeing how the 4wd seemed to still be working mostly but hearing otherwise and all that is got me all out of wack. also learned i needed new brakes too haha.
if i was in town i would have come over and helped ya.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by crolison
if i was in town i would have come over and helped ya.
well if everything keeps going at this rate and you come in for your birthday or whenever you said it was... i'll still be on square one by the time you are in town haha. it'll be down there for a while getting worked on and ready for summer probably so when you do come down if you're bored just let me know haha