Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Atlas T-case "what Says You"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Atlas T-case "what Says You"?

So here is my Question about Atlas T-cases—basically I am thinking about getting one for my current build. So are there other people here on the board that use them? Chime in and tell me what you think. Also, from what I understand they are “shift-on-the-fly” like our stock cases but of course with many other options. Namely 4.3 low ratio—No, 2.56 low gearing really isn’t low enough for what I do and STAK cases are not shift on the fly

I know the question will be asked—why not get a lefty? After the adapters they are almost as much as an Atlas, no shift on the fly and it may or may not be the last T-case I ever own. The Atlas—pretty much the last T-case I will ever own.

And on that note—if you have a Driver Drop in Great mechanical condition—looks not important—and you are looking sale---hit me up.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hross14
So here is my Question about Atlas T-cases—basically I am thinking about getting one for my current build. So are there other people here on the board that use them? Chime in and tell me what you think. Also, from what I understand they are “shift-on-the-fly” like our stock cases but of course with many other options. Namely 4.3 low ratio—No, 2.56 low gearing really isn’t low enough for what I do and STAK cases are not shift on the fly

I know the question will be asked—why not get a lefty? After the adapters they are almost as much as an Atlas, no shift on the fly and it may or may not be the last T-case I ever own. The Atlas—pretty much the last T-case I will ever own.

And on that note—if you have a Driver Drop in Great mechanical condition—looks not important—and you are looking sale---hit me up.
Atlas is awesome. bullet proof, a TRUE twin stick (front digs).

BUT

I think the toys are smarter and better. To get to the price of an atlas then you must be talking about dual toyotas. Duals will give you much more options and much lower gearing and a better front drive shaft angle. I have 2.28 in the front case and 5.0 in the rear that gives me the option of 2.28, 5, or 11.4:1. And Im sure you will miss not having a high low gear to get from obstacle to obstacle.

No one really uses front digs outside of comps. (plus you look to be IFS, so a front dig would be little more than a good youtube video for you)

If i had to do a single case it would be the stak 3spd or atlas 4spd.

You seem to be putting WAAAAAAAAAY to much emphasis on "shift on the fly" you seem to be missing the real point

Last edited by 4rnr; 02-28-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I didn't know they were shift on the fly.

That must be some seriously impressive clutching.

I'm not even sure when that would be useful. I have never wanted to change transfer case ratios on the fly, ever.

But, they are really cool, and if you've got the cash to blow, go for it.

Sucks you don't have the old 4banger. Duals are cheap and easy on those.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:07 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I was gonna spend Atlas kind of money, I would want more than 2 speeds ...

as mentioned above, the low gearing is nice while ON the obstacle, but sucks balls BETWEEN the obstacles.

Also, low tcase gears blow in mud. I can't tell you how many times in Ohio built Rubi's would have trouble, and we would walk right through because we could generate wheelspeed and they couldn't.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:13 AM

Am i missing something here? There are two speeds in an Atlas. 1:1 and 4.3:1. I see what you are saying about having to low of a low gear though. It would be nice if i could get a 1.5 instead of 1:1 in the first speed of the transfer case and then 4.3 in the second (that would be perfect).

Always thought lower gearing for 4wd would be better anyways.

Shift on the fly is nice--especially in the snow and ice!!! I guess it is really not a must but it keeps things from binding up quite as much--maybe it is just me--how knows--but i like it

Really dont want to go duals though--maybe i can talk to ATLAS and see if the can use a lower 1st gear. THat is probably a pipe dream though.

Real issue is getting a little lower gearing--those of you who actually wheel know what i am talking about--it is nice to creep and have that control over obstacles. Maybe a 4 speed is more of what i should be looking for. A STAK three speed would be perfect!!! but i will have to think about it not having syncros
Old 02-29-2008, 06:38 AM

Am i missing something here? There are two speeds in an Atlas. 1:1 and 4.3:1. I see what you are saying about having to low of a low gear though. It would be nice if i could get a 1.5 instead of 1:1 in the first speed of the transfer case and then 4.3 in the second (that would be perfect).

Always thought lower gearing for 4wd would be better anyways.

Shift on the fly is nice--especially in the snow and ice!!! I guess it is really not a must but it keeps things from binding up quite as much--maybe it is just me--how knows--but i like it

Really dont want to go duals though--maybe i can talk to ATLAS and see if the can use a lower 1st gear. THat is probably a pipe dream though.

Real issue is getting a little lower gearing--those of you who actually wheel know what i am talking about--it is nice to creep and have that control over obstacles. Maybe a 4 speed is more of what i should be looking for. A STAK three speed would be perfect!!! but i will have to think about it not having syncros
it is 2 speeds but the 1:1 is a passthrough. with out 1:1 you couldnt use 4wd on the street. ~2.5:1 is a perfect gear for the trail between obstacles (for our trucks anyway) it alows you to get some speed but you can also pop over logs, small rocks, hills.

I guess if I had the money (2000-3500) I would have bought a stak 3spd or atlas 4spd. But in the end the duals gave me the same and more than both of those and Im confident I wont break them. Especially with Bobbys chromo output (P.O. of the cases opted for that)

BTW I think sami's had a t-case with a lower high gear.....
Old 02-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

4.3 will be lame in between obstacles. Its where I'm at now, with a 1:1 and 4.7:1. Its okay, but can get annoying. On the obstacles, its great.

I think you are over estimating the coolness of shift on the fly. I have never been in the snow/ice and thought, "gosh, it'd be good to shift from high range to low range right now, while moving." To be honest, the ONLY place I can see that being a benefit is in actual rock racing, where time is everything, and they need to go from low range to high range as fast as possible. Outside of the race arena, its pretty pointless. Stopping doesn't really hurt you that much.

I think what everyone is saying is that it is a lot of cash for a transfercase, when there are better options out there.

If you gotta have shift on the fly, I guess you don't really have any other options.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:01 AM
tc
Contributing Member

I don't think the range will shift on the fly - even if you could synchronise the gears, imgine the RPM difference going from 1:1 to 4:1!

I think he is talking about 2WD to 4WD on the fly, and specifically with the Atlas, front wheel drive to 4WD to rear wheel drive on the fly (ie - for digs)

Atlas makes a 3 speed too.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:16 AM

Thats what i am talking about-4wd on the fly. I dont think it is cool, i just know i use it pretty often. Especially when you start hitting ice or fresh rain here in Texas--when you are driving on the highway--reach down and flip it into 4wd.

If there were gear option for the chain drive i would do that--but since the Lefty (after adapters etc...) isnt that much less then i think aftermarket is a good choice. I plan on having this thing (barring high school girls on cell phones wrecking into me) for a long time.

I like the simplicity of one tranny and one T-case.

Never knew Atlas made a three speed. I will have to look into that.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:18 AM

I know a couple guys who jumped on the "digs" bandwagon early and installed DL discoes on the rear shaft and they all say it was pointles and they have never needed it. Plus Its really hard on the drive train. Plus as I said earlier Ifs+a dig attemt=good entertainment.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:20 AM

Thats what i am talking about-4wd on the fly. I dont think it is cool, i just know i use it pretty often. Especially when you start hitting ice or fresh rain here in Texas--when you are driving on the highway--reach down and flip it into 4wd.

If there were gear option for the chain drive i would do that--but since the Lefty (after adapters etc...) isnt that much less then i think aftermarket is a good choice. I plan on having this thing (barring high school girls on cell phones wrecking into me) for a long time.

I like the simplicity of one tranny and one T-case.

Never knew Atlas made a three speed. I will have to look into that.
Atlas doesnt Stak does Atlas is a 4 spd

4wd for the rain?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

What?

EVERY transfer case i have EVER driven is 4wd on the fly. Why on earth would you think that Atlas is the only one?

Thats why I was surprised, I had never heard of range shifting on the fly.

My current, stock toyota case, is shift on the fly 4wd. I can't do front wheel drive, but as 4rnr said, pretty pointless unless rock racing.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:03 AM

I dont plan on doing front digs. And i didnt know all 4wd were 4wd shift on the fly--I guess as a kid i always remebered people getting out and turning the hubs--IDK.......

I would like the lower gears not only for 4 wheeling, but also for towing. sometimes starting out on a hill is a little hard even with 1st. While bringing some stuffs up to AK--there were a few times i didnt think i was going to make it up the hill--especially if i had to stop--having another range of gears in 2wd would be nice.

What it comes down to for requirements is this

**4wd shift on the fly--that is a given
**lower gearing
**2wd HI/LO Option and maybe 3 or 4 speeds
**Least amount of drive train slop as possible.

The only time i would drive in FWD would only be if something crazy happened out back. Like i said--i am not scared of the stock T-cases--they just dont have the gearing i need and Lefties are not that much less than aftermarket.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:49 AM
tc
Contributing Member

I could swear they came out with a 3 speed before the 4 speed ... definitely only have 2 speed and 4 speed now though ...
Old 02-29-2008, 11:09 AM

I know there is a weight and size difference between the STAK and the ATLAS (favoring the ATLAS). I will run the numbers for the Lefty one more time and see what i come up with..
Old 03-01-2008, 09:47 PM

First of all, you do not need an atlas. Using the low range in the t-case for towing is pointless since you cannot shift it out of low range unless you stop moving. What you are looking for is a gear splitter but realistically, you are overloading your truck if that is what you are doing.

If I had a taco or later 4runner with a v6 and auto, I would definitely go with a stakk before I bought an adapter, lefty case, and gears. More bang for the buck and lots more strength, too.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:12 AM

I think i will make the determination on what i need and dont need

FYI--The load was at 5k lbs and i was traveling up some pretty steep roads. It kept moving, but if i had to stop i would have burnt the hell out of my clutch. Dont forget you can still shift thru the other four gears even though you are in low.

My group doesnt do garden variety wheeling--we are really out there wheeling--and breaking and fixing and wheeeling some more--we take it to the limit all the time--and that doesnt mean being skinny pedal stupid (well some but not mst of us).

From what i have heard--it seems STAK has some sealing problems--this is just from what i have read on the boards. this could be an issue because I plan on taking trips down into Latin America via Trails. but i am leaning to a three speed STAK.

I guess we will see what happens and what comes avliable on the used and or sale market.

Thanks for the input everybody
Old 03-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

I wasn't trying to steer you away from the Atlas.

Its a good case.

However every case under the sun is shift on the fly as you describe. That was all I was pointing out.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:11 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Let's see:

Marlin Tacobox, ready to install, with 4.7's - $1899
2 speed Atlas, with 4.3 gears - $2295 (+adapters?)
4 speed Atlas, 10:34:1 - $2945 (+adapters?)
StaK 2 speed - $2150 (+adapters?)
STaK 3 speed - $2699 (+adapters?)

I know what I would do... $400 is a bunch of gas money
Old 03-02-2008, 04:55 PM

not sure what you're talking about isaac, i shift from 4lo to 4hi on the fly very often.........

to the OP: honestly, if it's not obvious from what tc just posted, do the lefty.

Quick Reply: Atlas T-case "what Says You"?