Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARB Locker Size

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARB Locker Size

Hello,

I have a few questions.

I just got an ARB Air locker and compressor set up from a guy but it needs some love.

I have a 92 V6 4-runner by the way.

The locker I got was an 8" for a Toyota...that was all he knew before shipping. I got it and it has the 45mm bearing (or so I believe it to be after measuring it with my micrometer) But it states here http://dedq15.mindfly.com/uploads/PD...ernational.pdf that this is for the 84-88 models. But it shows the exact same locker number with a note below saying the later 50mm ID Carrier bearing must be used.

Can someone tell me what is going on here. I'm extremely green on this stuff.

Basically want to know if I'm going to be able to use this. And or if I'm going to need to get a different bearing and if I'm measuring the correct area. I measured the inner diameter of the bearing on the locker itself.

I also need a part ( http://dedq15.mindfly.com/uploads/PD...des/2-RD01.pdf #22 the seal housing assmebly as the metal line comming out of it is cracked at the seal and has a hole in it up the line) But that part should be easy to fix.

Thank you.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:59 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The V6 thirds have a larger OUTER diameter bearing. ARB uses the same model locker (with the same bearing INNER diameter) for both.

Local 4WD shops might have the seal assembly in stock - it's a not uncommon problem. The big thing is the o-rings - make sure you have the new, square "quad" rings.

ARB's customer service is AWESOME. If you call them and ask nicely, they may very well send you the parts for the locker (not the bearing, but the parts they make) for free. They will have the part number for the bearing too - be prepared to have to custom order it and pay. I think Nachi is about the only one who makes it (but they are VERY high quality bearings, so that's OK)
Old 09-10-2008, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
The V6 thirds have a larger OUTER diameter bearing. ARB uses the same model locker (with the same bearing INNER diameter) for both.

Local 4WD shops might have the seal assembly in stock - it's a not uncommon problem. The big thing is the o-rings - make sure you have the new, square "quad" rings.

ARB's customer service is AWESOME. If you call them and ask nicely, they may very well send you the parts for the locker (not the bearing, but the parts they make) for free. They will have the part number for the bearing too - be prepared to have to custom order it and pay. I think Nachi is about the only one who makes it (but they are VERY high quality bearings, so that's OK)

Do you happen to know the OUTER bearing diameter needed for my truck? If so I can measure the current bearing on there and see if it is the correct one. It would be nice not to have to purchase new bearings.

As for the new O-rings I assume you mean the ones on the seal assembly? I've never heard of a Square "Quad" O-Ring before.

Thank you for the help. I want to know somewhat what I'm talking about and needing when I call ARB.