Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gen Cross member

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gen Cross member

I purchased my 91 sr5 recently as a second/toy vehicle. After going out a few times, I reallyyyyyyyy hated the designer of the crossmember on my yota. I searched around, checking other ideas on how to make my rig less like a Grader on the bottom and a bit more tucked. I bought a Bud built crossmember, and decided that it was a very wise decission. I went from 3 inch thick rolled steel catch me on a tall curb at walmart, to a 3/8 plate go ahead and try to make me budge crossmember/skidplate. It took a total of 20 minutes to do the swap, He even provides a HD allen wrench to reattach the support bracket to the crossmember.
I had almost started to fab up one my self, till I saw this online. I have access to a plasma cutter that can cut 1/2 inch plate, but then no way to bend and break the beast. So that leaves ya to welding, partly ruining the integrity of the steel, and honestly, looking like chicken poop on a plate. (not a great welder, but htat is just me)
Budbuilt.com is the web site, he is a real nice guy, talked to him number of times. He is soon moving from NY to NC, so I am not sure on his turnaround right now.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:34 AM

I have a BudBuilt crossmember as well. A fantastic design and piece of work!

A little suggestion for those looking at it. His dual t-case set up will support single or dual applications. If you're thinking of going dual in the future, get the dual one now and save the extra money in the future.

This comes from a guy that never used to do stuff like that and had paid the $price many times over for these mistakes!
Old 10-05-2003, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sport,

Not sure if you have a auto or manual, so I thought I'd throw this out there. For us guys with autos, Bud is finalizing a low profile crossmember that connects to a belly pan and front skid. THis way, the whole belly will be protected (except for the dangling gas tank )

Let me dig up the pics...
Old 11-14-2003, 10:01 AM

I had a Budbuilt on my 1st gen and will get one for my 2nd gen as well. GREAT product, GREAT service, GREAT guy.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by Sporin
I had a Budbuilt on my 1st gen and will get one for my 2nd gen as well. GREAT product, GREAT service, GREAT guy.
Yep, can't possibly say enough good things about Bud! I bought one of his early crossmembers that required removal of the IFS spring brackets to install (SAS implied) and took a long time getting around to the axle swap. I ended up getting the crawler first so I went back and ordered his updated design that bolts right in without having to remove those brackets. He gave me a heck of a deal on the second one and even helped me with finding someone to buy the old one from me. Here's to Bud!

Oh ya, and his products kick butt too!
Old 12-01-2003, 04:13 AM
Contributing Member

Bud is one heck of a guy indeed..

Oh, and here is the very first V-6 5spd 2nd gen crossmember that hit the market..