Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 piece wheel adapters?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 piece wheel adapters?

I have a pair of 2 piece wheel adapters that I am going to use to change the bolt pattern on my m416 from 5on5.5 to 6on5.5 to match the yota. I bought these second hand (never used) but they didn't come with directions. I know from searching that for one piece spacers to use loctite. My question is Should I use loctite on the second piece that uses allen head bolts? I searched the internet and found a company that makes these and there site said to use anti-sieze on all the bolts not loctite. From Skulte Performance Products " Wheel Adapter FAQ

Should I use anti-seize on the studs? Won't it cause the lugnuts to loosen easier?
Definitely! A small dab of anti-seize on both the hub and adapters studs make torque values much more consistent, and prevent the lugnut from seizing after hard racing or a salty north-east winter. As you torque the lugnut to spec, the stud acts like a spring, and gets pre-loaded. This tension in the stud is what holds the lugnut tight against the wheel (or adapter). By lubricating the stud with anti-seize, you make sure the torque on the lugnut will go to tensioning the stud, rather than friction that does not increase the tension, and will make it easier to lose pre-load and loosen. As long as there is tension, the lugnut will not loosen.

Does this sound correct? I like the idea of not using loctite on the second piece because it needs to be removed to get to the hub and check the lug nuts on the first piece. Thanks for the help here are some pics of the adapters

Sorry for the long post but wanted to make sure I do this right.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:52 PM

I would put the loctite on the allen head bolts that hold teh adapter together and yes, anti-sieze on the lug nuts.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fourwd1
I would put the loctite on the allen head bolts that hold teh adapter together and yes, anti-sieze on the lug nuts.
How hard is it to loosen them if I loctite them? I don't want to end up stripping the allen head when I take them off to get to the hub or to check the torque on the lugnuts.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

ttt...... Anyone else have any comment on these? Maybe wabbit can help me out?
Old 11-21-2006, 06:49 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Chris,

Got your PM. On a trailer...not a big deal...but I'd NEVER use those on a vehicle...flat out. I'd just find the proper rim.

I would think you'd install those much like wheel spacers and since those socket heads won't take a breaker bar on them without stripping (which would be needed to bust red loc-tite), get an allen head socket (looks like about a 10mm or 3/8") and torque them to about 100 ft/lbs and use the anti-seize. Recheck and retorque after 100 miles.

If they were normal wheel spacers, I'd use loc-tite instead of anti-seize, but normal wheel spacers use all lug nuts and can take a bit of abuse to get them off.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks wabbit, that is kind of what I was thinking, but wanted to check with the experts.

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Chris,

Got your PM. On a trailer...not a big deal...but I'd NEVER use those on a vehicle...flat out. I'd just find the proper rim.

I think that is why the guy I bought them from sold them, he was going to run them on his rig. He didn't use them, he just test fit them and I'm sure he thought twice about useing them. Ended up getting a really good deal on them. thanks again,