Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which 12V Compressor?
Viair 550C
7.41%
Extreme Air
55.56%
Other
37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

12V Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RobT2k
Do you have any pics of the placement? The ARB compressor is smaller, does it take longer to air up? I'm only running 265/75/r16
the biggest I would go would be 285/75/r16 could it handle these tires or take forever?
The filling time would depend on the size of your air tank as well.

A little trick that I have (since I have an 11 gallon tank), is that I use my compressor from my garage to charge the tank to 120psi before I go, then I use the compressor to keep up the pressure or replenish if needed. I can run my ARB's off and all day and hardly touch the reserve.

The ARB will overheat if used for much more than running the ARB or a couple of tires.

The extreme air still seems to be the best value for a performance system.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Avoid the ARB compressor like the plague if you are using it for tools or intend to do so. It is made to run lockers and does a good job of that. It will get the job done airing tires, but I would rather use a bigger and better hammer.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Do you have any pics of the placement? The ARB compressor is smaller, does it take longer to air up? I'm only running 265/75/r16
the biggest I would go would be 285/75/r16 could it handle these tires or take forever?
I don't have a tank so mine does take forever. I plan on adding a tank but later, way later. right now it's good for blowing up things like rafts and bike tires. Here's a pic, the fittings are kind of bulky but I plan on making an aluminum manifold, like the one Slee sells, to replace it. I also don't ever plan on running air tools so it is the best option for me because it actually fits under the hood with a little persuasion. I have pics of the complete install but I just haven't done the write-up yet.

Last edited by keisur; 11-09-2003 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:33 AM

The ARB is definitely slow for airing up tires and another thing I don't like about it is that it's noisy. I bought a Viair 450 for airing up my tires and it's faster and alot quieter compared to my ARB compressor. I've been thinking about adding rubber mounts to the ARB and see if it'll quiet it down some.

Last edited by Arnold; 11-09-2003 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can afford the cost and the space for an ExtremeAire or Viair 550C, then go for it. The extra capacity of the compressor will make you smile when it comes to airing up, or running air tools.

I have a Viair 450C and love it. I simply didn't have the room for a 550C.

I think that either compressor will require an external tank for running tools. I don't think they have the volume at 60psi to drive a drill/hammer/etc.

To find space for an air tank, look up underneath, just in front of the rear diff. I know a couple of people that have found long/slim 5 gallon tanks that fit up there. it's more protected than you may think.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Extremeaire

Now I have to ask, where did you fit this?
All the 3rd gens I've seen have moved, or didn't have cruise control. Did you have to move anything? How hard is that?
Yeah, pretty cool...
I'll snap some pictures and post them here. To fit the compressor I installed an optima battery, slid it as far towards the drivers fender as possible then I mounted the compressor vertically next to the battery, you'll see in the pics... I saw the belt driven air compressor at the extreme outback booth at sema and it's a really small unit... Now that I have seen how small it is I would of installed one of those instead... maybe I will someday.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: Extremeaire

Originally posted by Macgyver
I'll snap some pictures and post them here.... I saw the belt driven air compressor at the extreme outback booth at sema and it's a really small unit... Now that I have seen how small it is I would of installed one of those instead... maybe I will someday.
Macgyver, you have one of the cleanest compressor installs around. That bracket you made is a work of art! It still amazes me how much compressor you were able to fit in such a small space. I bet you could sell a few brackets, especially if you made them for the Endless Air belt-driven unit . . . Hint, hint.

Like upndair said, pretty much any compressor can run the ARB air locker. It's easy to set up. All you need is a switch (I suggest using the ARB switch), relay, tank, pressure switch, and fittings. The solenoid comes with the air locker (make sure you get a 1/8"BPT to 1/4"NPT fitting though). For a little added work and expense you can get a much better set-up for your air lockers that will air up the kiddie pool and inflatable partners in record time. The ARB compressor only puts out .86 cfm and heats up real quick - that's why I went with the viar450 this time.

I'm skeptical if the 550 or extreme air would fit in the same place as my viair450, but it might be possible. The cruise control would likely have to be completely relocated, but that is not hard to do. Otherwise Macgyver's approach may be the only under-the-hood option in a 3rd gen runner if you have ABS. Either the ExtremeAir or the Viair550 would be an awesome setup.

Last edited by transalper; 11-10-2003 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

Jay,
Where did you get that manifold? and how much did it cost? Or did you make it yourself? I started making mine this weekend but I may scrap it and buy one but don't want to pay $50 for one from Slee.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by keisur
Jay,
Where did you get that manifold? and how much did it cost? Or did you make it yourself? I started making mine this weekend but I may scrap it and buy one but don't want to pay $50 for one from Slee.
Northern Tool sells one for $15:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3795&langId=-1

I think I may replace my round one, that's pretty nice looking...
Old 11-10-2003, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by midiwall
Northern Tool sells one for $15:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3795&langId=-1

I think I may replace my round one, that's pretty nice looking...
Yup, that's the one. I just mounted it directly to the viar with a 1/4NPT male-male fitting. It's very sturdy and does not need any additional support bracket.

Finding room for an air tank may be tricky. I have a 1-gallon tank tucked in my ARB bumper. I may add another one some day. Finding room for a 3-gallon tank is a bit challenging.

Last edited by transalper; 11-10-2003 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

thanks.