99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs
Old 04-15-2016, 10:01 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tundra Towing & Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

Tundra towing, what changes would you make?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tundra towing, what changes would you make?

Hey to all, Just got sweet deal on a 29' travel trailer. Now I need advice on improvements to my Tundra 2wd, 4.7, looking mostly for advice on brake upgrades. I already have dual exhaust, K&N, add-a-leaf for 550lbs, capacity, 8000lb class III receiver hitch and sway bar.

I'm sure I need to add the electronic sensor for e-brakes on the trailer and may add "air bags" or air shocks for leveling more than anything else.

Obviously I am concerned about the brake system on the Tundra because of comments on this board. any and all comments will be appreciated. thanks in advance for the help. EDH

PS. anybody already towing with this type rig, your comments would definatley be appreciated.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by h7009
Hey to all, Just got sweet deal on a 29' travel trailer. Now I need advice on improvements to my Tundra 2wd, 4.7, looking mostly for advice on brake upgrades. I already have dual exhaust, K&N, add-a-leaf for 550lbs, capacity, 8000lb class III receiver hitch and sway bar.

I'm sure I need to add the electronic sensor for e-brakes on the trailer and may add "air bags" or air shocks for leveling more than anything else.

Obviously I am concerned about the brake system on the Tundra because of comments on this board. any and all comments will be appreciated. thanks in advance for the help. EDH

PS. anybody already towing with this type rig, your comments would definatley be appreciated.
Come on guys and gals, have I asked this question wrong or what? no one has an opinion on brake upgrades or suspension for towing? a little help please, thanks. EDH
Old 12-08-2004, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry I tired responing yesterday, but my computer is dumb.

First thing to do is get an electronic brake controller. Here is some good info one them http://www.etrailer.com/faq/brakecontrol.asp I use a pendulum type (Tekonsha Voyager). It is smoother to engage. But a good unit is a Draw Tite Activator II. They will save your butt. You will most likely have to wire it in as the Tundras don't have the factory wiring for brakes. Secondly get a Weight Distribution hitch. They will place less load on the back end of your truck. Lastly see about getting a temp gauge for the tranny if you are going to be in mountain country.

Andrew
Old 12-08-2004, 06:07 AM

What yr tundra you got? 00-02, you may want to upgrade to a 6/7 pin plug. 03-05 comes with a 7 pin plug. Class 3 hitch are rated for 5k max, you'll need a class 4, maybe that's what you meant, a receiver and ball to match the rating. Trailor brakes, controller, rear sway bar, distributing and sway equipments, aal/bags, anything else I missed.

I tow 70-80% of the time but I don't tow 5-6k much. My average weight I tow is 3.5K, mostly boats and vehicles on dollies. Which don't come with brakes so I rely on my trucks brakes to do the work. The tundra stops fine with stock brakes, the rotor warping is caused by improper rear brake adjustments which cause the front to work harder thus causing the premature warp. Mine never warps and I have a 00 model yr. But then I also switched to crossdrill and slotted rotor around 30k or so. My tundra does superb towing and stopping so I don't see why yours is any different.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by ricqik
What yr tundra you got? 00-02, you may want to upgrade to a 6/7 pin plug. 03-05 comes with a 7 pin plug. Class 3 hitch are rated for 5k max, you'll need a class 4, maybe that's what you meant, a receiver and ball to match the rating. Trailor brakes, controller, rear sway bar, distributing and sway equipments, aal/bags, anything else I missed.

I tow 70-80% of the time but I don't tow 5-6k much. My average weight I tow is 3.5K, mostly boats and vehicles on dollies. Which don't come with brakes so I rely on my trucks brakes to do the work. The tundra stops fine with stock brakes, the rotor warping is caused by improper rear brake adjustments which cause the front to work harder thus causing the premature warp. Mine never warps and I have a 00 model yr. But then I also switched to crossdrill and slotted rotor around 30k or so. My tundra does superb towing and stopping so I don't see why yours is any different.
BigA and Ricqik, hey guys thanks, just the stuff I was looking for. I do have the 2000, and yes it is a class IV hitch that I have, trailer weighs 5000lbs. Didn't think about rewiring for a different pin/plug. I already have a 4 pin for a small utility trailer, can I have both wired and have the e-brake box wired in all at the same time? thanks for all the help, this board has saved me big, great job to all. EDH

PS. any info on your brake upgrade, specific's, on how to. Did it yourself etc. thanks again,
Old 12-08-2004, 06:20 AM

Mine had a 4 pin too, I changed it to a 4/7 in-one plug. It has your regular 4 pin plug and a 7 pin both on one bracket/holder. So you can use either one depending on you trialer type. Bought it at Wal-Mart for about $20.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as you have trailer brakes don't worry about the brakes on your truck. I would suggest going with a better set of brake pads. Maybe a set of TRDs if they are available. I wouldn't worry about the spring situation much. You already have an AAL and that should be plenty.