99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

Sequoia recirculation problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sequoia recirculation problems

Purchased 2002 Sequoia Ltd in Jan. The recirulation goes on automatically when the car is started. Seemed normal. After a couple of months the most obnoxious odor began coming from the vents, which made me physically ill. Dealershiip mechanic said it's because recirulate causes moisture in the system, which does not drain, which in turn becomes infested with mold, fungus, bacteria. Their answer is DO NOT USE RECIRCULATE. Nothing in the owner's manual about it. Dealership will clean system out for $140. Contacted Toyota, dealership agreed to clean system for $70.

Am I wrong to think that #1. recirculate should not have this problem, #2. This is a design flaw, #3. the dealership should clean it at no charge.

The response of do not use the feature makes absolutely no sense to me and certainly does not solve the problem.
Old 08-20-2002, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Sequoia recirculation problems

Basically the reason why there is odor is the buildup of the a/c system and if you do have it on recirculate, it does tend to buildup and allow for mold growth.

I have an old Honda that it seems the previous owner never really allow the.....ah what was it called again....oh I forgot, it's probably called the evaporator....to vent or drain after use and it stinks now, even when it's on fresh. Basically you can use the recirculate and in fact recommend to do so when using the a/c to get maximum potential (unless you are trying to defrost, in that case use the fresh setting), but a few blocks before your destination, turn the a/c off and have the fan going on fresh air, not recirculate. That way you will vent any moisture that will be in the system. Moisture attracts mold like heck and the homes in Sacramento here are a reflection of such (or at least the market is booming for them here).

Oh forgot, no it isn't a design flaw, apparently this problem is present in a good amount of foreign cars.
Old 08-20-2002, 05:54 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the input........ but, I dont' have a fresh air setting. I've owned lots of cars and this is the first time I've ever had this problem. It just seems to me that it would be wise for Toyota to mention how to handle this in the manual. Again, thanks.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

Ya you do, the "fresh" air setting (although nothing is showing) is when the recirculate button on the dash is not lit up. Try it out, press the button as your driving without the fan going and feel the vent, there should be nothing. Then turn it off (light out) and feel the vent, you should feel a slight draft.