99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

Problems with the ABS & Traction Control on Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Problems with the ABS & Traction Control on Sequoia

I have a 2002 Sequoia 2wd Limited that has had interminent problems where the ABS/Trac Control lights will come on and not go off until the vehichle has been turned off. Additionally, we have had a problem where the traction control will activate when pulling away from a stop. The road is perfectly dry but the system decelerates the vehicle for several seconds.

Has anyone else seen similar problems?

Thanks,

Steven Dunker
Old 09-04-2002, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

How long are you giving the lights to shut off. When off-roading and the Trac system comes on due to slippage, it can stay on for upwards of 20 seconds or so which is wierd. If your talking about minutes, I would have it looked at as I doubt that is normal.

As for decelerating when pulling out, are you talking about turning onto a street or going straight. On my '02 Runner, I only have this happen when turning onto a street because there's 2 pieces of gravel under one of the tires. :mad:

That aspect of my rig is the only thing I don't like about it. It's absolutely useless for on-road use. On second thought, mall moms or newly licensed drivers might need it! I can't wait to drive it for a full winter! Might have to lock the center diff a few times to prevent this.
Old 09-07-2002, 04:38 AM

Actually the lights stay on until the vehicle is turned off and that is what concerns me. I have had it in to Toyota 6 times and they have replaced various parts, this last time they attributed it to a loose wire. Personally, I think it is hard to believe they missed the wire 5 other times, but who knows. We will wait and see.

As for the slippage I am pulling away from a stop sign going straight on a dry road with no gravel, water, ice, snow, oil, etc . It appears the traction contol thinks the vehicle is slipping but really is not. They haven't been able to track that one down.

Steve
Old 09-07-2002, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

Hmmm. I definitely think you're right about a loose wire or something on the lights, but 6 times? Wow. They might need to check under the hood next time! Good luck with that. I'd be frustrated too.

I've never had a problem with the system leaving from a stop going straight. It's tough to diagnose that one and I don't know how you'd go about seeing if that's normal or not. I guess test drive another Sequoia.

You might want to post this on the 4Runner/SUV forum as the system is the same as the 4Runner's. Someone there with an '01/'02 might have some other suggestions. I just happened to come over here a few days ago and saw your post. I don't think too many wander over here.

Or, try over at: http://66.216.68.23/cgi-bin/ultimate...ubb=forum;f=13