Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

Thinking about an 89 FJ-62. Opinions wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about an 89 FJ-62. Opinions wanted.

There is a 2nd owner 89 FJ-62 near me. It has been for sale for over 1.5 years. Grey on grey with cloth interior. near perfect exterior with the only rust being over the rear wheel well--not bad at all. 31" Bridgestones. 160k. maintenance records for the last 100kish.
New motor installed around 85k by Toyota under warranty.

Originally asking $9500 and now it is down to $6500. I know that it needs nothing, well expect the front axle will need to be rebuilt. I am not too concerned with gas mileage as it will get re-geared and we have the wife's 99 4R.

I will lift it, tires, bumpers, protection, etc, but I have a $$$ amount to build it (at least initial build-up)

I like that it is auto, FI, power windows, locks. I have always wanted an LC, and now with two 4rs in the driveway and a child I think it would be feasible to have a larger vehicle.

Vacationing with gear, child, dogs, etc can get tight.

Am I crazy???---another quote for Waskillywabbit
It is steel, large and safe. However, I have a 4r with ABS (can be good and bad), airbags, newer, etc.

I have decided that I would rather have a classic 62 over an 80, if I am going to have an LC
I need some opinions.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

anyone up now with some thoughts.
Baby and wife are asleep and I LOVE my wireless laptop
Old 01-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talk to Steve Schaefer, he has an 89 FJ. He'll tell you how much WORK it will be to get it up to snuff.

Old 01-20-2006, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Talk to Steve Schaefer, he has an 89 FJ. He'll tell you how much WORK it will be to get it up to snuff.

I know that SS has done a ton of work to his wife's. However, the thought is I could sell my truck, pocket a bunch of cash. Buy the LC and have more than enough to get it 100% mechacnically and offroad ready.

I just wonder if I will end up spending all the $$$ and then have 10-15K in the LC
Old 01-20-2006, 06:36 AM
Banned

I don't mind putting $$$ into a vehicle that I know I will keep FOREVER, like the 85. I quit counting after $15K. It can get expensive in a hurry when you rebuild engines, drivetrains, axles and the like. And LCs are just that much MORE expensive cause they are LCs. One that I might sell one day, I won't buy cause that is just a waste of money in my newly discovered opinion. If you are going to keep the LC FOREVER then get it and do it right. You should still talk to Steve, he'll tell you straight up as he is a nice guy regardless of what some folks think.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

The thing is I love the LC. I prefer the older box style 4x4s. It is SA, large, strong motor etc.
It is grey on grey which is my second favorite (next too the classic tan) and the service history is well documented.

I love the 4R, but this is a dream truck. I need to e-mail Steve. I DO think he is a nice guy and has always helped me out.

My plans include Alcan springs, 35s, 4.88s, ARBS, front and rear bumpers, winch, rear tire carrier. Those are the initial plans. I want to keep it low. I love that it has power and can haul my growing family.

I think it is time to chase a dream vehicle. We already have a 3rd gen 4r. It seems silly sometimes--not a huge deal, but it is a thought.

I know LC parts are $$$$, but I don't plan on buying springs, gears and such many times over (only once really)

We work out of the house, so commuting isn't an issue and once again the wife's 99.

While I may have seemingly answered my own question, I still need advice and opinions on the real world, practicality of owning an older vehicle with a small child and such.

If they are maintained and have proper service they will run forever.

Thanks again.
As always, Brian, I appreciate your POV
Old 01-20-2006, 08:04 AM
Banned

I finally came to the realization one day in my 30s why wasn't I doing what I wanted to do...as far as dreams go...you only get one life, why waste it not following your dreams. Not to throw reality and all sanity out the window, but carpe diem dude. Get the LC and go for it! It'll run forever and be fun to build. That is the most fun to me anyway, the journey to getting the 85 "done"...if that ever happens...and maybe then one day I'll wheel it too!

Now where's my wiring alarm diagram?!

Old 01-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Now where's my wiring alarm diagram?!

send me a fax #.
If you don't have one I can scan it and get it to you tonight
Old 01-23-2006, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

buy mine

http://amir.smugmug.com/cars
Old 01-23-2006, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Amir904
yeah, but how much???

I am still on the fence about 60/2 vs.80.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmmmm... tough choice.

the 60/62 will be almost twice as expensive for the same parts as the runner - count on that. the LC's really are THAT much more to keep going.

IIRC, steve has a ton invested in his 62, but it's also in top condition.

a 60/62 can handle 35's w/ a regear and they're cool to wheel w/ the SFA, but don't forget you have a lot of realestate hanging out behind that rear axle, and that tends to drag butt on the trails - just ask wabbit about his runner in pre-bob wheeling.

you can get decent money out of your runner, sell off the bumpers and the wheels/tires and lift and take it back to stock first though. you'll do much better that way.

IIRC, you have about 100-120k on it, correct? plan on about $12k-$13k for the runner, another $600-$800 for the front bumper, another $600-$800 for the rear bumper, maybe $500 for the complete lift and about $1000 for the wheels/tires. hopefully you still have your OEM stuff and won't have to buy replacements.

assuming that you have the OEM stuff, you can expect about $15,500 total back to you after parting out the runner and selling it off.

you can expect to have every penny of that back into the 60/62 plus some by the time you get the maintenance items up to date, get some front and rear bumpers, a winch, regear w/ ARB's, and get some 35's.

like wabbit said, he has a ton invested and stopped keeping count, and that was with a purchase price of $2500 instead of $6500 and that was on a 4runenr that has cheaper parts/accessories than a Cruiser.

Last edited by bamachem; 01-23-2006 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

^^^^
I DO appreciate it Andy. Brian has been very helpful too.
Steve HAS done A LOT of work, including a rebuild, upgraded axles, lift, lockers and gears.

I know LC parts are more expensive.
After taking Asher to the doctor this am, I realized having power seats, doors and an auto are VERY good things.

I wold love an 80 too, but it really depends on trading someone. I don't have the desrire to put my truck back to stock. Kind of a take it or leave it thing
I will just keep my truck at that point.

I have 112,xxx on it and it runs I still want to uprgrade my tires, again, whicj will require a regear. I want to add an M8000 and paint the truck one color.
All of those are doable. I have an extra set of upper arm, extra wheels and a painter that will do the entire job for $450.

There is a guy on ih8mud that will trade a an original paint, no rust, 180,000 mile 87 60 with 35 MT/Rs, tons of receipts for mechanicals, ARB front w/ 8274, rear steel, sliders, BUT he wants $12-$14K.

i would end up with some cash, but there is the logistics and the then I have a carbed, manual.....
Old 01-23-2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
It has been for sale for over 1.5 years. ....the only rust being over the rear wheel well..... 160k. maintenance records for the last 100kish......New motor installed around 85k by Toyota under warranty.

Originally asking $9500 and now it is down to $6500.....
I will lift it, tires, bumpers, protection, etc, but I have a $$$ amount to build it (at least initial build-up)

I like that it is auto, FI, power windows, locks....
I had an '89 a couple of years ago, I'm a huge fan too. Regretted selling it ever since. Mine had the rust over the rear wheel weel too, pretty common.

The 62 with FI, auto and power windows & locks is a nice bonus. FI is the biggest benefit over the 60 series. It sounds though, that the reason it's been for sale for 1.5 years is because he's asking too much money for a stock FJ62 w/160K . I've had my eye out for another one over the last year. I think you could find one on eBay pretty easily with the mods you want to do for a similar price. I see them with lifts and bumpers, etc. pretty often in that same price range.

I see why you'd want it, but I think he's asking a lot of money for it.