Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

Should we DIY- Possibly Trunion Bearng problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should we DIY- Possibly Trunion Bearng problem

So, for a year or so now we have had a nasty clunking in the right front side of the passenger sphere usually when we turn and excelorate. It's not all the time, but its usually when we are taking a left turn from a stopped speed.
Since we've been burried in trying to fix, systematically, all the issues my car has had ongoing- we decided to get this looked at before it becomes a bigger issue.

So my husband took my rig over to Landcruiser's NW and talked to them about it. Apparently, they're suspicious that its my trunion bearing going out and that is a $600 part each- and that's only one side thats effected that we know. But when we have the whole axle apart- figure might as well do both if its a wear issue.

My husband thinks there is a slight possibility that all we need to do is grease it and that its just dry so he's going to try that first - then need to go in and assess how to pull off a major fix like that. Would be over 1k with labor, we think.

He doesn't feel like it's over his head but it would require some tools he doesn't have (and no, the electric drill is not a 'universal tool').
If that bearing goes out I could lose all steering so at highway speeds that could be bad-unlikely it wold blow out that way but it is a possibility. I have the locking hubs.

So- does anyone have previous experience with this or any tips or advice?
Should we try tackling this on our own or just save and fork over the money?

I swear, we're already going broke on all of this stuff and we still have baby gear to get... not to mention our landlord called us Sunday to inform us there was a complaint over our late night lift kit install adventure.

I also have a check engine light that has been keeping me warm for a few years no one seems to be able to figure out what is setting it off. When we reset the battery recently, it went off and would only go on maybe once a day- but now it's happily burning bright for me again.
-Jyn
Old 06-23-2009, 06:29 PM

Well Jay went to NW Landcruiser today and spent a good hour working on it with them. Apparently they're very pro-work with the customer. Found out a few different issues... like... why my gas pressure gauge has been off for 3 years (when Toyota Los Angeles, whom I NEVER RECCOMMEND ANYONE EVER GO TO, replaced 2 Injectors unplugged) and fixed that...

Also, apparently my o2 sensor is bad and we're basicly dumping gas- so we ordered one for $90. The check engine light is an EGR Issue and I know we had the EGR replaced not that long ago, they replaced the valve but probably didnt clean the pipe.

But brainstorming another way, if we could make a little wire brush custom- we could take the valve off the ETR at that pipe that goes to the engine block- have to clean all the gunk up, but vacuum it while brushing it- spindle brush on the end of a dremel snake with a sleeve that has suction... or I dont know... we just need to clean it out.

I could have sworn theres a vacuum attachment that goes to a dremel- I was thinking of getting one for my husband to clean up the dust after doing woodworking and I was telling him to go get one... I could just give that to him and he could clean it out that way or melt down one of my old vacuum attachments to fit our central vacuuming system...

Also figured out a way to correct the steering squirrliness after putting that lift on- requires special new bushing- but needs a press and a torch to get them in because theyre a bear to push in, apparently. Right now it feels like it's steering on its tippy toes- super hyper reactive which is why when we go to change lanes it overcompensates... wigs me out, I drive with both hands gripping the wheel. Not fun for me. And I have to take the girls out to the farm this weekend to go horseback riding.

But on that trunion bearing... its full of grease so it is INDEED going out. *sigh*

Last edited by ToyotaLandLady; 06-23-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
You talking about the bearing that holds on the steering arms? That trunnion bearing?

Old 06-24-2009, 09:16 AM

More info please. What model of cruiser?

Front axles are not complicated. I think you are talking of the bearings that hold the knuckles on. Order a knuckle kit from Marlin Crawler with wheel bearings. It might be a couple hundered dollars. Also a axle nut socket. Have a couple drifts and a hammer available too. A rubber spatula do-ma hicky for scraping the grease out of the knuckles too. Read the manual and get on it. It'll be a 8 to 10 hour job.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
$600 for a trunnion bearing? those people are out of there minds.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:27 AM

Trunions are in the hub-in front of the birfield...the birfield axel shafts and joints are what is going out. But hubby figured when you're in there its a matter of common sense to replace the wheel bearings and trunions. We found a kit for the trunions for $115 on special...

http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/lock_FA9097.html He needs this to rebuild the trunion bearings when he takes the axle apart.

Husband found it funny that the chormoly birfields are a hundred dollars more expensive but wear out faster than the stock ones-funnier yet, if you offroad hard with the stock ones you risk cracking them, so if you are a hardcore off roader you just more or less have to use the softer chromoly ones and replace them when they wear. This is our transport vehicle (the mommy missle) so we don't have to worry so much about that yet.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by FlyingLow
More info please. What model of cruiser?

Front axles are not complicated. I think you are talking of the bearings that hold the knuckles on. Order a knuckle kit from Marlin Crawler with wheel bearings. It might be a couple hundered dollars. Also a axle nut socket. Have a couple drifts and a hammer available too. A rubber spatula do-ma hicky for scraping the grease out of the knuckles too. Read the manual and get on it. It'll be a 8 to 10 hour job.
FJ80 '94.... And if he does both yes about - just under $600... the birfield is $240 for one if he does both thats $480 plus the trunnion kit $115 plus shipping probably like $50 for both orders.

Car quest might have the trunnion set too have to check. Jay knows the brand that supplies Toyota so he can ask...but we're not sure we'll get it for $115 everywhere else we've looked its like double that... like $190, $220... and not even the full kit...anyway.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
this might help you out:
Rebuilding Front Straight Axle:
http://www.birfield.com/~morgan/tech/axle/
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...eRebuild.shtml
http://www.lukemiller.org/toys/1985_...t_axle_FSM.pdf

i have always thought the trunion bearing was the bearing (45611F) at the top/bottom of the knuckle.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:28 AM

You should do it yourself, its really easy. Just remember what i said about taking the knuckle out as a whole with the birf and axle shafts still attached
Old 06-24-2009, 05:10 PM

Make sure you use the propper Koyo trunion bearings. The jobber brand is not as good. Don't worry about upgrading birfs until you have at least 35" tires and locked front axle. If your not breaking them don't worry. Shop around for prices. Kirk at cruiseroutfitters has a good reputation on ih8mud but i haven't dealt with him personally. Make sure you ask for Koyo bearings though, thats why I recommend Marlin Crawler, excellent products and service. You don't want to do it again...
Old 06-24-2009, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by FlyingLow
Make sure you ask for Koyo bearings though, thats why I recommend Marlin Crawler, excellent products and service. You don't want to do it again...
I dont have anything nice to say about Marlin Crawlers service but they definitely have a good product
Old 06-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Are you saying your chromoly birfs wore out? Do you mean Longfields? If so, longfields should be under warranty. If not, next time you replace your chromoly birfs, go to Bobby Long for some longfields instead!!

Also there has to be some portland area YT members with some of the tools/presses you need. If you were in c-rado we'd have you over to our H.O.W (House Of Wrenching) Every state needs a few of these to help peeps do it yourself with the right tools and a little extra knowledge.

Good luck Jyn!
Old 07-05-2009, 01:36 AM

chromo is a type of alloy of steel, its is not as brittle as the metal that is used in stock axles and birfs. Not at all a plating. I don't know about longevity though.