Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

Going to look at a 1969 FJ40

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going to look at a 1969 FJ40

An acquaintance about a hour's drive from me is selling it. He knows I'm a Toyota fan, and wants to give me the first look before he puts it on the market. The thing is, I really wasn't looking for one although I've always lusted after them. I don't have room or resources for another vehicle, but if I think it's a really good deal I'll find a way to make it work. I can't get to it for a couple of weeks, which gives me time to do a little research. I see that the ih8mud website has tons of info, pretty overwhelming trying to wade through it for the pertinent stuff.

What I've been told about it by the seller is that they've owned it for 4-5 years, and it's seen minimal use in that time. They had it painted last year. And he said, "It needs a clutch." Beyond that . . . ? So I'll read up and try to be an informed consumer by the time I have a look at it.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Just bought one myself... Same situation too. I have always loved them, but, wasn't planning on buying one. Then, my buddy says he found one and bought it, then sold it to me... hahah.

Anyways... I would check the compression of the engine, look for leaks, see if the 4wd works, check the fill plugs on the tranny and x-fer case and make sure there is no tranny whine.

Its most likely an F engine, unless thats been replaced by either a 2f or a short block.

I bought a 1966, its pretty archaic, but, awesome. I just ran a compression test and am only running off 5 cylinders. So, I'll be taking the head in this week and getting it remanned.

Once you buy it, you'll get attached!!
Old 04-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys make me jealous. I've always wanted a late 60's FJ40 or an FJ55 pig.

Where's the pics, Ian?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:31 AM

I have a 71. must un-practical car in the world. not to mention a complete and total money pit, but I wouldn't sell it for anything.

good luck
Old 04-16-2008, 08:42 AM

I had a 71 fj40. they are great. I would look into a v8 conversion though. those engines are HEAVY. v8 = less weight and more power. It would go anywhere. almost indestructable. Good Luck
Old 04-16-2008, 10:45 AM

Buy it and drive it. It would have disc brakes stock up front and a 3 spd tranny with an F engine. A 2F and 4 spd would be a good upgrade, the 4 spd more so than the 2F though. Power steering is good once you get above 33" in an agressive tire but was not stock. I have a TBI on my 2F and would never swap in a V8. V8's tend to bust t-cases IMO. The engine code is stamped just behind the distributer on the passenger side and will start with F or 2F so you can find out if thats been upgraded. Is it pretty stock? There can be some basket case conversions around...
Old 05-20-2008, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for your replies and encouragement, which make it all the harder to say that I've decided against buying it. After finally getting to see it again, and looking at all the pros and cons, I've made peace with myself over my decision. It wasn't easy, because I've lusted after old Cruisers for a long time. But the time and resources needed to make it what I would want it to be just aren't there right now, and I don't have the space to buy it and store it for the future. There's all that, and the fact that I just don't like buying vehicles that I have to tow home. The brakes and clutch both need work right away. The engine sounds good, though, and the interior is in pretty nice condition. There is a fair amount of body rust, and rust in places that could be especially problematic, I think, and I didn't really poke very hard at the chassis and frame.

Long and short, I have my Runner that is good for my occasional off-road forays as well as daily use, and my old-car-fix is attained with my '67 VW convertible, which looks great and runs well -- I've had 9 years to work everything out on it -- and I'd have to sell the VW to buy the FJ. When it came down to it, I wasn't ready to do that.

Anyway, like I said, thanks for indulging me.