Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

1980 FJ40 General questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1980 FJ40 General questions

I'm not new to Toyota 4wd vehicles, but am completely to FJ's. It's something I've been wanting for a while. One came up that I'm going to look at tomorrow and there are a few questions I still have after going through this site and scant others. I tried finding a FSM to answer my questions but was only able to come across the first section of the manual. Thanks in advance for any advice or answers.

1. Did the '80 come with jump seats, or was that only for earlier models? I've seen a bunch of earlier models where that had been either removed or replaced by a bench in the back. Was the bench ever an option? It doesn't really make sense to me with the way the you gain access to the rear of the vehicle.

2. The spare tires were only ever stored on the spare tire racks right? They weren't ever under the 'bed' like on the pickups and 4Runners right?

3. In looking around, I haven't found many gotcha's with the 80 FJ other than body rust....oh and windshield wipers. Is there anything in your opinion to keep and eye out for? It is notable that this has been converted to a full chevy drive train. Obviously b/c of this, I'll be looking for any mickey mouse work. Is there any hidden body sections to look for rust besides the wheel wells, rockers, and lower rear corners?

4. Is there any electrical motors or body wiring to watch out for? I know on the first gen runners trouble points were the rear window and rear defroster....among others. Anything like this?

5. Were the roofs on them ever painted any color either than the primary color or white?

6. For those that have a 1980 are there any pics of the interior out there? I had some trouble locating them.

Thank you.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FirstGenRunner
I'm not new to Toyota 4wd vehicles, but am completely to FJ's. It's something I've been wanting for a while. One came up that I'm going to look at tomorrow and there are a few questions I still have after going through this site and scant others. I tried finding a FSM to answer my questions but was only able to come across the first section of the manual. Thanks in advance for any advice or answers.

1. Did the '80 come with jump seats, or was that only for earlier models? I've seen a bunch of earlier models where that had been either removed or replaced by a bench in the back. Was the bench ever an option? It doesn't really make sense to me with the way the you gain access to the rear of the vehicle.

Yes they came with jump seats, no bench was offered in FJ40.

2. The spare tires were only ever stored on the spare tire racks right? They weren't ever under the 'bed' like on the pickups and 4Runners right?

Swingout and I have seen one mounted under bed, but I don't think it was factory.

3. In looking around, I haven't found many gotcha's with the 80 FJ other than body rust....oh and windshield wipers. Is there anything in your opinion to keep and eye out for? It is notable that this has been converted to a full chevy drive train. Obviously b/c of this, I'll be looking for any mickey mouse work. Is there any hidden body sections to look for rust besides the wheel wells, rockers, and lower rear corners?

Floorboards and trans cover edges (doghouse). Lift any floor mats to check. Floor mats were rubber and held in moisture, so floorboards and doghouse rust is common. Also, the joint where the windshield folds down can be susceptible to retaining debris and moisture, even though there is a removable gasket there.

4. Is there any electrical motors or body wiring to watch out for? I know on the first gen runners trouble points were the rear window and rear defroster....among others. Anything like this?

Not particularly. All motors wear, it all depends on usage and maintenance and cleanliness.

5. Were the roofs on them ever painted any color either than the primary color or white?

White is all I have seen on factory FJ40s. It's actually considered an off-white from what I was told.

6. For those that have a 1980 are there any pics of the interior out there? I had some trouble locating them.

I only have a 40 in pieces. E-brake lever is on doghouse versus under dash, as on older models. And should be plastic vents pointing towards door windows. Look up any 40 from '79-later. Should give you a general idea. All 40s after '76(?) had wiper motor below windshield, but a lot of people want them, so make sure yours is the later style...

Thank you.
Your welcome.

And I am not a fan of the Chevy drivetrain swap. Engine/trans is ok, but factory Toy duffs are comparable in size to a D60, in my opinion. Granted its not full-float axles in US, but 30spline axles, and a 9.5" ring gear is really similar, especially on a 1/4 ton rated FJ40. So if they swapped in D44s or worse, 10/12 bolts, no thanks...
Old 09-19-2012, 08:19 AM

If you are looking for pictures of very clean original FJ-40's look at coolcruisers.com. I just found them last weekend, and already have my first order.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas
If you are looking for pictures of very clean original FJ-40's look at coolcruisers.com. I just found them last weekend, and already have my first order.
They have very high prices, so beware and shop around a bit. CruiserOutfitters is excellent to work with as is Profitts Cruisers. Some things for OE replacement are CCOT only, but a lot of stuff can be had cheaper through various other Cruiser oriented businesses. Just a thought...
Old 09-21-2012, 07:24 AM

The late 40 series had rear side seats, no 40 series ever had rear bench seats!

the bodys on late 40 are prone for rust in the rear tub corners, front fenders in the middle on the out side and under the blinkers, the rocker panels also like rust as well as the rear sill under the ambi doors! and the rear corners!

as for wiring, 40's always had reliable wiring and electrical components, except when grounding points get corroded, most of the time its the blinkers!

Curt @ cruiser outfitters is a great guy, and has been in the cruiser market for a long time. We use him for bearings ect for our customer trucks!

If you were looking to buy a 79 and later 40, your main concern should be the rust, look at that first, as a purchasing point!

hope that helps!!

Justin