Looking For A Mechanic/Fabricator/Shop Put your location in your thread title when making an inquiry

New here! Looking for a good mechanic, happy to pay.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here! Looking for a good mechanic, happy to pay.

Hey guys, I'm new to the community but I've been lurking a long time. I'm really hoping to get a recommendation for a mechanic who knows his way around a 22RE. Bought the truck almost a year ago, and I love it. 254,000 miles so far on the original engine, tranny, and clutch. I've done some work to it myself and its running great. However, I know it still has the plastic timing chain guides. I've inspected the chain and guides a couple of months ago and the chain was tight and the guides were in fine shape, however I don't want to worry about the plastic guides failing as I have no idea when they were done and how old they are. I know you guys will tell me to just replace it myself, but I really don't want to tear apart the engine myself as I'm really not that experienced. I bought the LCE dual row timing conversion when I bought the truck because I thought I would do this repair sooner, but other things got in the way first. (both cvs, exhaust leaks, carrier bearing, tune up, ect). I'm located in St. Louis, Missouri, and I've heard people recommend JAMCO. I'm just nervous sending it there because it's an old truck and I'm not sure if they know their way around the 22RE. It's easy to work on but it has it's quirks that it seems only Toyota Techs are able to master. The dealer in Jeff City has helped me out of a few jams but I don't want to drive all the way out there as its about 2 hours, just to get screwed by dealer prices. Also, I'm not sure if they'll even put on the aftermarket LCE dual timing chain for me. I read you need to remove a small oil baffle inside the valve cover so it fits? Idk, I'm just nervous about bringing it to any mechanic as the last place besides the dealer that worked on it treated it like ˟˟˟˟. Overheated it, tightened down the valve cover so much the o rings were splayed out, and a bunch of other shady stuff. Please help guys, I just really would love it for someone to direct me to someone who's experienced with these engines and does a good job. Thanks
Old 01-30-2021, 07:55 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
I'm not in St. Louis, but I wanted to help with a thread bump.
Anyway, I know it's not what you prefer, but if you do it yourself, you will get a lot of members willing to help.

Edit: link to 4Crawler's timing chain replacement instructions
https://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTr...ingChain.shtml

Last edited by SomedayJ; 01-30-2021 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:27 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Keep in mind most mechanics are R&R, remove and replace. So doing mods like a dual chain conversion is usually not their thing. So use caution.