Looking For A Mechanic/Fabricator/Shop Put your location in your thread title when making an inquiry

Need new windshield/seals/etc

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need new windshield/seals/etc

Hi all,

I have a huge crack on my windshield that goes through horizontal across the entire glass; therefore, I need a new windshield.
I read that I should use Toyota seals for this job. Is there anything else I need?? Does anyone know any good shops in the NYC area??? Should I buy a new glass?? Or go to junkyard to look for an old one???
How much will this job cost me apprx.???

Any advise is appreciated,

Thanks,

maguirre
00' SR5, 5spd
Old 02-19-2011, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife's runner's front glass also cracked during the cold weather. Pretty sure she had a chip that got exacerbated by the below freezing and her use of the defroster blower. I'd like to hear the rundown on the repair here too.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just went to http://www.safelite.com/index.jsp and they did the job at my house the next morning. $225 including tax with lifetime guarantee--presumably more now. That was August 2004 and no leaks yet. Glass says Safelite but was otherwise identical to factory, as far as I can tell. Installer dude was a jock, he clearly knew what he was doing. No muss, no fuss.

EDIT: I just ran a quote--they want $280 for the same job, 11AM Tues here or Monday at some place 19 miles away.

Last edited by TheDurk; 02-19-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
If you have comprehensive coverage on your insurance, the new windshield may be covered by that. In any event, might want to check with your insurance co. and see if it is covered.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

I happy to report that yesterday I had my truck in the shop to replace my windshield. I have this guy in woodside who charged me $175 for the whole job. It looks nice and clean.
We are supposed to get some rain in the next couple of days so we'll see how that goes.

maguirre
00' SR5, 5spd