Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wouldnt you rather go to a truck shop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldnt you rather go to a truck shop?

Im looking into opening up a CUSTOM trucks shop. Anything from suspension lifts and drops, airbags,paint. All that good stuff. My question is...If there was one near you, would you go there? Are you more comfortable with a shop that only does trucks to do you lift and gears and all of that? What do you guys think?Thx
Old 01-11-2005, 04:46 PM

I've recently thought about this question. I've just gone from bone stock to adding a lift, front bumper, winch, sliders, etc.... Since I have little prior experience wrenching on anything bigger than a motorcycle, I was hesitant to jump into all these projects. On the other hand I wanted to know and understand my truck, especially when (not if) I break out on the trail. My decision was to do all the modes myself.

My next project is to install air lockers and 4.88 gears. For this I will bring the truck in to have the gears and air lockers installed, although only after I setup the compressor, tank, and lines.

It would have been much more difficult without the help Jeff Bathke (the Marmot), Lars Dennert, and Steve Schaefer, and the many write ups on this site. Thanks guys!!
Old 01-11-2005, 04:57 PM

I don't think that you can really ask such a question here. As a good chunk of this boards population is pretty good with a wrench. I prefer to do what I can myself, but if a problem becomes to large or to the point where I have done all I can. I will indeed take it to a shop. Its a pretty good idea as I'm sure there is enough people out there that want to do what the guys on this board do to thier trucks, but have little know how or desire to learn how. So I would imagine you'd get a fair amount of buisness.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:58 PM

Thats awsome dude. But a lot of people dont have the...Guts... to do that themselves. Most people woudl rather just give the truck to a shop and have it done. ANyone else have smoethin to say?
Old 01-11-2005, 05:10 PM

I've got something to say. PRICE.

Stack 'em high, price 'em low, watch 'em GO!

Å
Old 01-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

i like to do my own work, BUT with very little time, ( kids ) yes i would rather take it to a place "that KNOWS what they are doing" and have them do the work IF they know what they are doing, did i say only if they kno what they are doing ?
Old 01-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Nic

To answer your question, I would have to say, "Yes".

But, you would have to be reasonable on price. A truck shop here in town put on my nerf bars and brushguard since I purchased both from them. I guess the price was OK compared to others, althgough I kinda regret getting both.

However, what struck me as odd was they really didn't like doing import vehicles. They even told me that . I had one guy there tell me their shop only preferred Fords, Chevys, and Dodges. I think someone that specialized in doing stuff for Toyotas and other imports (at least around here) would do well, because all the truck shops are focused on the domestics.

I think the thing is, not everyone here on this forum has a place and tools readily available for things they want done-even relatively simple things. So, yeah, if the price were right I would take it to a truck shop, especially if I found one reasonable and knowledgeable on Toyotas.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

If you're fortunate like me you have solid reputable shops like Pro-Trux less than 20 miles away
I do like the satisfaction of doing my own stuff though. Kind of cool when I can show people my truck and tell them that I did all the work on it minus the Rhino-lining

...not that there's a lot