Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

winch/locker- owners please help me.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
winch/locker- owners please help me.

Ok everyone, Sorry for the VERY long post. I just bought a new ARB bumper and its on. I am contemplating a few different options. While I was in the off road forum I noticed that a few of you were buying the Warn 8000 winch for 500 dollars! I was avoiding a winch because of the 800 dollar price but at 500 its really hard to pass up, and I dont know when the price will be changed. Here's my question. Do I buy the winch for 500 dollars along with new, stronger torsion bars and new battery, that will run me approx. 750$ OR do I save like mad and purchase an ARB locker..I am trying to buy things that i will be able to switch to a newer vehicle in the future, so far, most mods wont interact. Here's my thinking. If I buy a winch, it doesnt really help my off roading ability. Only in the case of getting stuck will it really make a difference. And when i purchase the winch, i will have to buy a stronger battery and torsion bars. One thing about all these items is that I can take them off and use them again. As far as the lockers go though, that will help tremendously help me get through touch objects, no question, but however, like I have read, it will get me into places that I will need a winch. Why does this have to be so hard! I also really need recovery equipment such as chains, hi jack lift, tow strap, all the goods. I want everyones opinion if you have either item. If i left anything out, let me know, give me ideas, anything. I want to spend my money wisely so it gives me optimal off roading capability. Now that your all THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! ~KyLe

Last edited by outdoorfever; 11-07-2003 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only time I use my winch is when I am stuck - snow or mud. Rarley do I use to go over obstacles - I don't have any armor other than the stock crap - so I don't like to be scrapping stuff off.

But it is fun pull out someone's street SUV when they stuck in the ski area parking lot.

I'd say the locker would be the better off-road improvement.

This is how one of my hard-core friends looks at it - there is usally someone in the group that has a winch. He does own a winch now because of a really sweet deal - otherwise he would probably not have one. This guy runs Detriots in the front and rear.

my .02
Old 11-07-2003, 07:23 PM

I don't have a winch, I can't really wheel.

I do have two lockers, they seem to work all right for the mall.

If you swap to another Toy, the rear ARB'd third will swap too and if you stay reasonable with the gears, it will be practical as well.

I am at the stage where I want (am thinking hard about) a winch because I am running trails where I may need it to pull myself over an obstacle.

I have yet to be on a trail where we could not proceed because someone was winchless, nor have I been stuck personally in such a way that the winch was the only way out.

I have witnessed a couple of extractions that were greatly aided by a winch, but we could have done without in a pinch.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Flygtenstein
I don't have a winch, I can't really wheel.
What do you do? Stack Cheese?

Old 11-07-2003, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member

lets here it for the jumping frogs!!
Old 11-08-2003, 01:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Kyle, sounds like you got the fever baaaaaaaaad dude. I have an extra brand new hi-lift I'll let you know next time we're in Tulsa maybe we can get together and I'll make you a sweet deal on it.

As far as the winch or lockers first that's a tuff one. The old saying is your first mod should be a winch. However with me it was my last. On my last trip wheeling I used my lockers about 10-15 times and my winch once. You don't necessarily have to get a new battery with the winch, I’m running a Sears die-hard with mine. As long as you’re able to keep your engine running the alt. will power the winch just fine.

I’d probably say get your oil pan casket fixed first (I know you didn't want to hear that), then a rear locker, then a winch, then a front locker. If you are going to regear at the same time as the locker install, then go front and rear gears and a locker or two at the same time, then a winch. A hi-lift with some basic recovery stuff like a 50 foot synthetic winch rope extension, a chain, a recovery strap and lots of muscles can be a poor mans winch in a pinch. Or just wheel with someone else that has a winch. That's the beauty of the 4x4 clubs, you are wheeling in a group that will help you if you get stuck and you can see what other people are using that works good. Might go on some easy group rides first and see what it's like.

Last edited by mt_goat; 11-08-2003 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:09 PM

Steve caught me, I stack cheese. This is why I use good spotters and follow them because stacking cheese makes a mess and should only be done by professionals.

Last edited by Flygtenstein; 11-08-2003 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:33 PM
Contributing Member

Ditto with what the other sage elders have said. My winch was the very last thing I bought for my 4Runner, mostly because I found I was going on some runs where nobody had one. A recovery strap can work in a pinch, but a winch can be used in a much more controlled fashion. Now I feel alot better wheeling knowing at least one of us has one.

A rear locker will do wonders for your wheeling ability, and I'd say that I'd hold off on the front locker until you find yourself in obstacles that even rear-locked won't get you out of. I vote for the rear locker first, wasn't there a great deal on the Aussie locker for 2nd gens that is a pretty straight forward install? It'd be a great alternative to an ARB or a retrofit e-locker.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:11 PM

When the Aussie Locker comes out for the 4 pinion, V-6, 8" Toy, it will work in both the 2nd and 3rd Gen Runners. It is just a better version of the Lock-Right, EZ Locker.

One locker makes things fun. The second one should come at the very end when you are wheel standing and truly need it.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:09 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks so much for the posts all of you! Dale- you are correct, i do not want to hear you say fix that oil leak, but as you and me both know, it leaks a lot of oil, so i will be taking your word and getting it fixed next 400 dollars!! oh well, wont have any more oil leak afterwards. On to the topic, the majority seems to be lockers. thats great. i can handle that, however, i have seen a lot of posts and it seems that they act differently on the street-the auto lockers. anybody know what they do? they dont harm your regular gears do they? and along with this, should i get re geared as well, to what, 4.? i would love to have the luxury of switch lockers, but for now i can do the auto. thats all for now i guess, but i will have more questions later i am sure. thanks a bunch ~KyLe

And, do i have to re gear both axles at the same time, or can i run different ratios in both? thanks

Last edited by outdoorfever; 11-09-2003 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by outdoorfever
:
And, do i have to re gear both axles at the same time, or can i run different ratios in both? thanks
Must be done at the same time if you want to use 4wd.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Unless you go to bigger tires or you are unhappy with the gearing now I wouldn't regear it. Did your runner come with those 31s from the factory?

Last edited by mt_goat; 11-09-2003 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

no it came with 225's which is like 27 inch.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Is your speedometer off by much or have you checked it?
Old 11-09-2003, 12:08 PM

I'd get a rear auto locker(aprox. $200). Install it yourself. Then get a MileMarker E8000 winch for $400, and some new T-Bars for another $100, and a second battery for $50. You've just hit that same $750 figure you were talking about, you've got a rear locker AND a winch. You've got some stiffer T-Bars that will handle the winch and plenty of power for the winch with a dual battery setup.

Then when you have the money down the road get an ARB front locker. Or if you have manual front hubs, you could get away with a front auto locker, which will run you about $230 from Powertrax(Lockright). Sounds like you are doing well with the gears you are running right now, so don't bother changing those out until you start running larger tires.

I think you'd be very pleased.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

yo dale, actually to be surprised, my speedo is only off by like 5 max once i get close to 75 or so. around town its right on target. my odometer is a few places off, but its no harm.
OneTrickToy- I went to aussie lockers website and they seem to be very good lockers and for that price you cant beat it. i just might have to go that direction but i still dont know whats gonna happen when i hit ice or a muddy slope as soon as i get that answer i will be buying it. and i dont change my brake pads lol, like it said on the site, if you can change brake pads you can put the locker in...i wonder how hard that really is? that would be sweet if i could install it at my house or with a member from a local club. thanks for all your input everybody ~KyLe
Old 11-10-2003, 11:21 AM

I JUST drove up the mountain. But I can't give you an accurate account on the locker in the snow/ice.... because something is wrong with my steering in 4wd. I had more control in 2wd than 4wd.... very strange.