95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Who/What is to blame?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who/What is to blame?

So...it appears that 7 of the 10 ring gear bolts came out before
anythng broke...leaving 3 bolts to break...which broke. The detroit is
warped so I can't use it and the ring gear bolt holes are toast.

A local shop was the last place to touch it.

Like the title says, Who/What is to blame?

*edited*

Last edited by 4RocRunner92; 01-28-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He didnt torque them correctly or he left them loose. Those bolts dont come loose like that. They either snap or shear off. I would say the last guy touching it which would be YOU! j/k

James
Old 11-10-2005, 03:04 PM

Heh, yeah thats what I'm saying. they shouldnt just some out like that.

what should I do if this guy tries to burn me?
Old 11-10-2005, 03:07 PM

How long ago did they have the vehicle? If it was recent you may be able to put the repair cost on them. I have seen them break, strip, sheer or twist. But I have never seen or heard of the bolts just coming out. He had to have left them loose.

My advice to you is be professional about it as much as you can. Dont go in there in a rant or they will instantly not want to help you. Even if it is there fault. There is no way it is your fault if you have never touched them.

Last edited by ThomasJ; 11-10-2005 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:09 PM

Yes I definately agree. I try to stay as calm as possible. So as far as parts goes. What should I say about that? Buy my new ones?

I know labor will be free.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Where are the keepers (lock plates) for those bolts?

Old 11-10-2005, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4RocRunner92
Yes I definately agree. I try to stay as calm as possible. So as far as parts goes. What should I say about that? Buy my new ones?

I know labor will be free.
I would bring the mess back to them and ask to have them make it right. That could have been very dangerous. Those bolts backing out have locked up diffs causing teeth to break off. They should take the position that they are very lucky that did not cause injury or damage.(beyond your diff)

Originally (from the factory) , there were clips on the bolts to keep 'em tight. However, shops these days are using Loctite instead. I have mixed feelings myself. Yeah the Loctite works but you can't tell if someone forgot to use until something like this happens.

Frank
Old 11-10-2005, 04:09 PM

Yes I do not think loctite was even used...

I sent him a message and am going to see if I get a response by tomorrow afternoon. If not, I'm calling him.

Who thinks he should replace the parts? If proven this is his fault, wouldnt that seem fair?

One time my rig left that shop with a bad master cylinder.....(no brakes)
Old 11-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

He should replace the parts. Labor should be free. Like Elripster said, they are lucky nothing else happened! Did they take care of your master cylinder?
Old 11-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

sorry to see that...major bummer...
Old 11-10-2005, 04:51 PM

Just ask them calmly to make this right. If they give you crap ask them how any of this is your fault. You should not have to spend a dime out of pocket on this.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

Didn't Andy say that he would make it right "if" it was his fault? Andy is a good guy and he will make it right. Just take it back to him and let him see what happened.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:26 PM

I haven't spoken to him yet but I sent him a PM on NC4x4. I dont need to make it public on NC4x4 if I dont need to. if he wants to play hardball I will but until then I'm hoping that this will go smoothly.

and yes i'm giving him a chance to make it right
Old 11-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

He will make it right if it was his fault. If not; like he said, you will be charged for labor and all. The gears were installed before he did the locker right? if so the last person to touch the gears would br to blame. And in this case I'm not sure who touched them last, because I don't how the locker was installed.
Good luck Jason and keep us posted. I do not post much on the NC board, I just read a lot on there!!!LOL
Old 11-10-2005, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by seaflea
He will make it right if it was his fault. If not; like he said, you will be charged for labor and all. The gears were installed before he did the locker right? if so the last person to touch the gears would br to blame. And in this case I'm not sure who touched them last, because I don't how the locker was installed.
Good luck Jason and keep us posted. I do not post much on the NC board, I just read a lot on there!!!LOL
He installed the gears and the locker. At separate times. Gears when he was still in Concord. Locker a few months ago at his South Blvd. location.

I just don't know what to think. The mechanic who has it now (Will@ROCKBOTTOM4X4) told me that he has never had this kind of problem. Suggested that I give the information to Andy and see what he says. Which I did. I may have been overreacting earlier, I'm not sure. I'm not gonna make any threats because thats not what I do.

I just hope he can cut me some slack and lend me a hand. I think he can spare this free job along with some new parts. (If it is decided that it was his fault)

Who agrees Andy should offer to replace the parts?
Old 11-10-2005, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by WATRD
Where are the keepers (lock plates) for those bolts?

Ding, Ding, Ding!!! Whomever assembled this forgot to install the keepers!!!! Loctite, proper torque and keepers are all required.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:37 PM

Ah. I'm about to head to bed. I will let you guys know what happens tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies. I'll definately bring up the keepers not being there.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:00 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I just wanted to remark on this thread - I don't think it's cool to "out" someone on a public forum (a Worldwide one at that!) before you even speak to him, before you've determine if it's indeed his fault, and before he has a chance to make it right. I know you didn't originally name him in your first post, but it came out didn't it... You should have waited till they had a chance.

Now, if it's really someones fault and they won't do the right thing - by all means out them! (Like all the NWOR issues people have had - they totally deserve the bad rap they get!)
Old 11-11-2005, 05:16 AM

I just like to get my stuff straight before I go into something like this. Him being a business owner and "master fabricator" and all that I need all the ammunition I can get. I didn't even know you werent supposed to hang the front of the rear spring by a shackle. So...I dont think I did anything wrong. Not like I flamed him or anything.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:20 AM

Remember Jason, stay calm and you are the customer, thus he should be completely respectful and listen to what you have to say. When I worked at a shop, we had some jobs go bad, and as a shop you are charged with the responsibility of fixing the problem as promised with lasting, quality workmanship.

Regardless of who touched it last physically, I assume these keepers are kinda visible, they should have noticed that something wasn't right if it was not them that did the job. When you are that close to a problem that really explodes later, you are in a tricky position, but if they value customer base and want to keep what goodwill they have through the community, they will replace it if they can consider themselves businessmen at all.

While I understand they are mechanics and not businessmen by trade, they have a need to continue wrenching, and the only way they will keep a good customer, from my understanding, is if they fix what they could have fixed at a more appropriate time. If this shop is reading this, do the right thing and take this one free job and look at it as being an investment in a customer that will come back.