Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What's a good setup for CB

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 05:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by KevyWevy
ok well as you already read, i just bought my cb today. what exactly does tuning it do? do all cbs need to be tuned?
You're not really tuning the CB, you're tuning the antenna.

The main issue is one of "SWR" or "Standing Wave Ratio". This is the amount of power that's being reflected back into the radio when it's transmitting. You'll get reflected signal back when you mount the antenna on something like a bumper and up close to the body. When you key the transmitter, the signal will try to penatrate the metal of the body, it won't be able to, and it'll be reflected back into the antenna instead. when this happens, it puts a strain on the final amplifier section of the radio (the "finals") and can burn them out.

And SWR meter will help you measure that amount of power that's being reflected back into the radio. The idea is to move the antenna to minimize that ratio.

The other tuning factor is one of antenna length. The ideal length of an antenna is an even multiple of the wavelength of the most common frequency you use. You can figure this out kindof on the fly by keying the transmitter and while watching the output power meter, you change the length of the antenna to maximize the reading.

Most antennas have a small setscrew that hold the antenna to the upper part of the base. You should have gotten an allen wrench with the antenna if it's equiped that way. If not, then it's generally recommended that you NOT tune for length - because to do so means that you have to start cutting down the antenna with a pair of wire cutters.

We can talk about it in more detail tomorrow night if you want.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okie dokie. i don't know, the guy at the cb shop said that the antenna was supposed to be 49" long and thats how long it was, so he said we didn't have to trim it. yeah if you could help me with that tomorrow, that would be great. and im sure 2001millrunner would love to learn some of this stuff too since he started this thread. and if my memory serves me right, he'll be at golden gardens tomorrow with us.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No sweat guys... I'll be sure to slam a couple of Red Bull's on the way over.

(I think I may brush up on antenna theory as well )

If it helps... I run a mag mount with my CB and didn't have to adjust the length or the position at all right out of the box. It's quite possible that we won't with yours, but it's painless to check.

One thing that will help is if you can keep the back of the radio exposed (or make it easy to get to). The SWR meter plugs in-line with the radio, so a short cable comes from the radio to one side of the meter, then the antenna plugs into the other side.

See ya' tomorrow!
Old 07-08-2003, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

FWIW-I have a very simple tuning guide on my site. You can see it here.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If you wanna view a 12 mb video on how to adjust the SWR, visit YotaTech Community on the main page here, then choose YotaTech on the web.

Scroll on down and you will see the link in there somewhere.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by KevyWevy
well i just bought one today at cascade cb up in lynwoodish. its near KKK (kompact kar korner) place looks a little wierd, but the guy is really nice. i got my cb for $60 and the antenna was like $18 or something like that. luckly i just happened to buy a 4runner with an antenna mount already there and the wireing for it too. but he charges $60 for instalation, but in my case it wasn't worth it.
I live about 2blocks away from that CB place! NE ways Iwas gonna get a CB there too but i dont know where to mount it, i was thinking of waiting until i get a new deck and put it in below because i dont want to mount it just anywhere and have my interior look all sloppy, but i suppose i can put it in the glove box until then
Old 07-09-2003, 07:35 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Guy's, check out Jim's install here.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...4&highlight=cb
It's a very clean one.

If you have a bigger CB such as Jackson's Cobra 18, more than likely it will slide right into that spot and look great.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:21 AM

I think I have a pretty good idea about what setup i want for my CB, I'm gonna try to goto the CB shop in my area and get one today. Thanks for all your help guys and again

Hail to the Yotatech king Corey!

Last edited by 2001Millrunner; 07-09-2003 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:14 AM

yeah i saw that somebody on here had a smaller one like i just bought. they took out the ash tray and the mounting braket for it, cut out a little bit of plastic and put it there. i think thats what i might do.