Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wet Floorboards

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the same problem

i'd get a flashlight and check down in those slotted holes where your windshield wiper fluid comes out. sometimes i've heard of stuff like leaves and what not getting down there and makeing the metal rust through causing little holes for water to leake through(not the reason for my leak though).

my '83 4x4 is also leaking but its on the drivers side. i can actually feel the water dripping on my feet, and i don't think it's leaking from a bad windshield gasket. it's dripping right in line with all the pedals, anyone have any ideas that could help me solve my problem?

sorry to add on my problems to your thread!
Old 01-12-2005, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by rngrchad
I've done a thorough search on this site concerning my situation, and came up short. I figured this topic was discussed somewhere along the line but I came up with very little information. I've contacted my local 4x4 outfitter, and a Toyota dealership and neither could help me.
My problem is whenever I drive during rains my passenger side floorboard gets soaked. I mean sopping wet! The carpet gets really musty smelling and this causes the inside of my windows to get really foggy during the spring, and frozen with a thin layer of crystals during the winter from condensation. This is a real pain in my ass, as I can not store anything on the passenger floor without it getting soaked. Has anyone had any familiarity with this situation? I appreciate all info, and I know of other Taco owners with the same exact problem who have no answers either.
I'm having this same problem in my 99 4Runner.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:00 PM

I had the same problem on my 03 taco, the seam between the right side body door post and the fire wall it had a real bad mold smell , the dealer fixed it under warranty took about a week . They had to remove the fender and replace the carpeting . I found that toyota had some issues with tacos leaking in this area ( I found out from a toyota mechanic) the dealer claimed no knowledge of this problem good luck
Old 01-13-2005, 05:08 PM

i still have the problem but i just delt w/ the mold smell with some stawberry air freshener
Old 06-09-2005, 07:51 AM

Pull the carpet out of your vehicles. This is easy to do on Tacoma's. I did. I then purposely proceeded to drive in a torrential downpour. The floorboard grommets both leaked to the point where I had 1/4" water on the floorboards. I'm going to silicon around the grommets. I'll post if it fixes the problem. If it doesn't I'm bedlining my cab and getting rid of the carpet(smells like mold anyway).
Old 06-09-2005, 09:18 AM

i have the same problem on driver's side. To get the smell out, you might wanna clean it with baking power diluted in water. I've just been putting tons of fabreeze on it to get the smell out, I'm gonna have to pull my carpets one of these days to checks for the source of the leakage.....
Old 06-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2001Millrunner
i have the same problem on driver's side. To get the smell out, you might wanna clean it with baking power diluted in water. I've just been putting tons of fabreeze on it to get the smell out, I'm gonna have to pull my carpets one of these days to checks for the source of the leakage.....

Have you noticed when you go to put your seat belt on, after you extract it, it feels damp? Several heavy rains here recently and I have noticed this on the drivers side. Passenger side is fine. I checked the weather stripping around both front and rear doors. On both sides on the rear doors it is loose on the upper back corners...I have pushed it up but it won't stay...good seal, just won't stay where it should. I'm goin to get mad and glue the damn things where they belong...anybody else have this problem?

Oh yea, carpet is not wet anywhere so I'm guessing this is the source of the leak.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:59 PM

I know this isn't the cure, but it can help a lot if you leave the vent setting in 'fresh air' mode. On one of my older trucks the cable popped of the adjuster, and I just left it in recirc mode for a few months...had condensation and frost inside the windows in the fall/winter. Put the cable back on, put it in fresh air mode and it dried out.