Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

We can't get the new head back on the block!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We can't get the new head back on the block!

The little stud behind the timeing assembly seems to be too fat, or the hole in the head is too small.
Can I just drill the hole out a bit? Or should I grind the stud to a smaller diameter?
Wer'e at a stand-still right now.
I searched, didn't find anything refering to this anywhere.
I'm a little freaked out about drilling into the new 'Street RV" head. But that seems to be the easiest meathod.
Any suggestions would be great, as this is the first time we have tried something like this. I don't wanna screw it up.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:11 PM

if drilling wont ruin anyhting than do it! just take a look to doublecheck that their are no valves or anything!?
Old 10-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Banned

are you talking about a dowel pin? there are no studs sticking out... be careful, if it doesnt fit, something isnt right somewhere...
Old 10-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude; Call, or write the people you got the head from ask them what is goin gon and explain the problem. It may seem trivial now, but when the water jackets and valves dont line up; there could be a problem..... Take the time to chek everything out...
Just my 0.02
Old 10-29-2005, 07:45 PM

I've heard of the dowel pin bottoming out on shaved heads, but not on a "new" one. Get a micrometer and check the dowel pin width then compare it to the hole in the head. Check the depth on the hole in the head as well.
I'd say if the hole is undersized very gently drill it out to the proper size, but make sure and set up the bit so there is no way you can go too deep.
Actually, I suppose the first thing I'd do is get a hold of the seller and make sure you aren't better off returning it to them.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimabena74
are you talking about a dowel pin? there are no studs sticking out... be careful, if it doesnt fit, something isnt right somewhere...
Yeah, it's a dowel pin. I wasen't sure of what to call it. There is one in the very back of the block, and one in the front, right behind the timeing assembly. It fits the back one just fine.

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit 451
I've heard of the dowel pin bottoming out on shaved heads, but not on a "new" one. Get a micrometer and check the dowel pin width then compare it to the hole in the head. Check the depth on the hole in the head as well.
I'd say if the hole is undersized very gently drill it out to the proper size, but make sure and set up the bit so there is no way you can go too deep.
Actually, I suppose the first thing I'd do is get a hold of the seller and make sure you aren't better off returning it to them.
Gonna have to get a micrometer. I can only work on it Sunday, we gotta get it back togeather by Sunday night, I have to return my dads Metro Monday.
Everything else lines up perfectly.
Enginblder is not open on Sunday, so I guess I'm drilling(carefully).

Thanx for all the advice guys!
And hey Jimabena, nice avatar! Props to you guy!