Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

urgent: please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry urgent: please help!

I just installed a cb and a cd player in my 84 4runner today. I pulled out the power antenna switch because I had to make a custom mounting plate to get everything to fit, and the new plate was bigger than the original so I ended up just leaving it out. Anyhow, the dude I got my 4runner from said the switch for the rear power window was screwed up, and that's why it won't roll down. I got to looking at the pwr. antenna switch, and figured it might be the same as the rear pwr. window switch. So I put it in, the rear window went down automatically without me even pressing the button. Problem solved, right?.....no. Now my window won't go back up. When I press up and down on the switch I can a hear clicking kind of sound, but nothing moves. I don't wanna just leave my window open where all the junkies around my neighborhood can steal all the crap outta my truck. I need advice ASAP. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

maybe try reversing the polarity of the switch you put in, can you reverse the wires?
Old 06-11-2004, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by ahriman
maybe try reversing the polarity of the switch you put in, can you reverse the wires?
I don't think so. It looks like soldered on or something.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll bet your switch is shorted out in the down position. You may have to remove the wires, figure out which two raise the window and short those two to raise the window. Then go buy a new switch.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:45 PM

"I got to looking at the pwr. antenna switch, and figured it might be the same as the rear pwr. window switch. So I put it in, the rear window went down automatically without me even pressing the button."

Explain this part better.

You put a pwr. antenna switch in where the pwr. window switch goes??
For a quick fix to keep the junkies out. Remove the switch you installed. Gain access to the power window motor wires. The power window motor will have two wires, one for up the other for down. Put = 12 Volts the the right wire and the window should go up if it does not you will need a new power window motor.

If all else fails boil a pot of coffee break out your pellet gun and wait for the junkies.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:00 PM

If all else fails boil a pot of coffee break out your pellet gun and wait for the junkies.[/QUOTE]

Now thats what I'am talking about!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg
Old 06-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2wd1stgen
If all else fails boil a pot of coffee break out your pellet gun and wait for the junkies.
City folk...

4 out of 5 rugged individualists prefer ROCK SALT.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:23 PM

Crisis averted. Stripped the ends of the wires off the old switch and touched them together till the window went down. I don't know why I'm so retarded sometimes, but anyhow the junkies will have to steal from someone else tonight.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:27 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I can sort of remember messing with mine. (It's been years.) Open the tailgate and remove the screws for the panel. If I remember right with the window down you can't get to the motor... And if you follow the wire you have to get to the wires before the two switches in the latches, it's not supposed to go up and down unless the gate is latched closed. How the heck did I do that? By the way - if you do manage to run the window up (or out) it will fall out! Also, you can't shut the tailgate that way. If you can get to the motor or wires, close the tailgate and get inside and run the window up.

Didja try the window switch again? Maybe it will go up... Also try contact cleaner in the old switch. Do NOT use carb cleaner! (voice of experience.) Mine kept getting coffee in it...

Simplest answer is park it tonight backed against the wall, and go to the Toyota dealer (or wrecking yard?) and get a switch tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:31 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I remembered why I was messing with mine. Once because the switches in the latches wouldn't work. (WD 40 the crap out of them fixes this.) Another time, I finally traced the problem to the harness that exits the tailgate on the bottom drivers side - pounded by rocks and mud until a wire parted. But for the life of me I can't remember exactly how I ran the window up and down from back there, but I did do it. I set a stool behind it for the glass to rest on. CRS - too many years and too many beers...
Old 06-11-2004, 08:04 PM

Could have tried the key :pat:
Old 06-11-2004, 08:46 PM

Urgent??????

Gadget
Old 06-12-2004, 02:55 AM
WT

Disconnect the switch, sounds like its not the exact replacement and use the key outside on the tail gate to put it up... worth a try
Old 06-12-2004, 04:55 AM

Expose the motor and jumper a power wire to it. Wind up the window until it gets all the way up and remove the power from the motor. Done. Now you can take your time and work the switch issue.

Gadget