Old 10-29-2002, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRD H4 HID lights

Check this site for HID kits from TRD. Not sure who makes them for them:

http://www.toyota-trd.com/en/news/trd003.html
Old 10-29-2002, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmm...I'm a bit leary. "TRD Offiicial website." Notice on the actual website, the window title is mispelled.

Also, 140,000 JPY is almost $1,200.

You can find HID kits far cheaper than that here. You can get a Phillips complete high/low beam system now for about $600.

Last edited by HaveBlue; 10-29-2002 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:16 PM

4000k is better than the 6000k. The 6000k are more blue looking but actually dimmer on the road.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:18 PM

Any spelling errors are due to the translation as the page is originally in Japanese. It hapens to me all the time when I translate
Old 10-29-2002, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

My 7500K HID kit should be here tomorrow. I can't wait! I just hope I have the time to install it in the next few days. I will post some pics soon.

Matt
Old 10-29-2002, 03:41 PM

7500k?? Ouch....why did you go with those?? They will look brighter looking into the lights but after they have broken in will be even dimmer on the road than halogens. Almost all of the HIDs that are above the OEM 4100k / 3200 lumen D2S or OEM 4000k 2800 lumen D2R bulbs are mostly for show for the blue/purple look they give off. But, if that's what your looking for good luck. Hope you enjoy!

Paul
Old 10-29-2002, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by HaveBlue
Hmmm...I'm a bit leary. "TRD Offiicial website." Notice on the actual website, the window title is mispelled.
Yea, HaveBlue that is the official Japanese site.

Originally posted by HaveBlue
You can find HID kits far cheaper than that here. You can get a Phillips complete high/low beam system now for about $600.

Here is an interesting excerpt from the U.S. Bellof H.I.D. Rep on his take of the Phillips kits:

Philips does not make H7, H4, H3, H1, 9007, 9006 and 9005 retro-fit HID systems. In case you think otherwise, those are simply Philips OEM parts using D2s or D2r HID capsules and Home Depot plumbing parts plus broken halogen bulb parts epoxied on to 'try' and make them stay in place. Please call Philips if you need further proof, their number is 1-800-257-6054.

You get what you pay for and this could not be any more true
but people just don't seem to get it and we are sick and tired of repeating this line. Why do think Bellof kits cost more? Does anyone really care? Nope! And, that is why you all continue to buy those cheap P.O.S. HID kits that claim to be Philips kits and yet we keeping telling everyone that Philips doesn't make those kits but you all don't listen.

Just because someone sells an OEM Ballast/igniter
and an HID capsule does not mean that they are selling a proper HID kit.

Find out what kind of bulbs your headlamps use right now and then go out and buy a totally different bulb (i.e. your vehicle uses H4 bulbs so go out and buy some 9007 bulbs). After all they are
both dual filament bulbs having both low and high beams so they
should work right? A bulb is a bulb and they are both halogen
so WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE? Try it, amuse us please. Even if you
get that 9007 bulb to stay in place you will have such a totally
screwed up beam pattern that you will wonder what was the point of doing this in the first place. BINGO!!! Now you know what we ask ourselves every time when we see those so called 'other HID kits'.

Those other kits try to make a D2s/r HID capsule fit into H7, H4, H3, H1, 9007, 9006 and 9005. How is that possible when the HID capsule has a D2 base and all those other halogen bulbs don't? It is not possible but they still take your money!

Bellof does not use OEM D2s or D2r HID capsules. They make their own bases for the raw glass HID capsules and that is how you get a beam correct HID system. Bellof HID capsules can only be used with Bellof HID control gear. There is no mixing and matching of parts from 'company A', company B, etc. ALL parts are made by Bellof's qualified production facilities and therefore their complete production is carefully controlled from beginning to end.

Bellof stands behind its products and is the ONLY company making HID retro-fit systems in the world that has their products with world patents to protect their engineering, has ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certification. Not only does Bellof build the best
but they also care about the environment while doing so.

Bellof parts are custom engineered and Bellof does not use OEM
parts that were meant to be use for another application. Every other company out there is making HID kits that will never be accurate when it come to a correct beam due to the placement of the HID capsule. In fact if you take at random 100 of their HID kits and test them you will find that NONE OF THEM will actually be beam correct. Now you know why they don't bother to get world patents on something that is not even worth it. So now you also know why they would never be able to get ISO 9001 certification. Since most of these little basement companies making these HID systems work in secret how would you
ever expect them to get ISO 14001 certification when they probably don't even have a proper factory with a production line and engineering department.

Bellof is a Japanese company that has engineered, fully tested and even race proven experience with their HID systems. Bellof is constantly looking to the future for new ways of making even better HID systems. All Bellof HID systems are assembled in Japan with all the parts being made in Japan.

Bellof is the only company in the world that has H4/HB2/9003 and
HB5/9007 HID systems that are true high/low beam systems that
produce both low and high beams depending on which beam you
have selected using your factory switch. One HID capsule per
headlamp changes position using servo technology to place the
HID capsule in the correct position for the beam selected.

Price or quality is an issue?

Crap is cheap and quality... well you know, "you get what you pay for".

Well, we hope you understand the reasons for the price differences now.

Do you think he has an attitude or what? :pat:

It could be possible that Bellof is making the TRD kits though ... just a thought ...
Old 10-29-2002, 11:32 PM
DuB

I used to have the HID Plus 7500K kit. The high beams don't work very well. they'd be adequate for signaling other drivers though. I think they might have worked better if the bulb assembly was rotated 180 degrees in the socket (compare the bulb assembly to a regular H4 bulb. if you have this kit, you'll see what I mean) Well, anyway, the bluish color was nice and a most people liked it, but I didn't. I have a 5000K Bellof kit now and the high beams work a lot better-- still not as good as stock, but they're HIDs so the brightness makes up for it I'd prefer to have the whiter 4000K kit, but I got the kit off ebay so I can't complain

It's funny though, how that guy goes on and on about how incredibly good their HIDs are, but my beam pattern isn't the same as it is w/ regular H4 bulbs, so they still didn't get it perfect either. The wiring, too, is messy as hell, with wires all over the place to connect the various modules and such. I have a bundle of wires about 8" x 2.5" x 2.5" from the HID kit that I had to hide in my engine compartment that's already stuffed with wires from other stuff I've installed. But aside that, the kit is VERY nice, with interlocking rubber boots to cover all the connections, of which all lock together. The high beam mechanism moves cleanly and reliably, which I'm not sure can be said of the HID Plus kit. My friend installed a HID Plus kit into his LR Discovery and he says that they're starting to fail, with the lights flickering on and off on bumps, and the high beam mechanism only working half the time. He does drive like a psycho though, so his kit is subject to a lot more jarring than usual, and I'm not sure I trust his installation skills either.

I remember hearing or reading somewhere that Bellof lost its rights (or something) to the mechanism they're using and other companies are developing similar ones? It could be just a rumor, but if it isn't, that means the market price for true dual beam H4 HID kits may be pushed way below the $1200 that Bellof charges

Last edited by DuB; 10-29-2002 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:45 AM

Bellof does make a nice kit. Alitttle high price though. I've been into HIDs for quite some time and found one of the nicest kits is from autolamp.com They are based in England but their people used to work for Philips and are the only aftermarket kit producer with a link on Philips website. They have a very nice wiring harness and beam corrected H4 set-up. suvlights.com is also a good site, but hard to get emails answered. Like stated prior. If you want a good functional and bright HID. Stay away from anything higher than a OEM 4100k HID. No bulb manufacturer (Philips, Osram etc.)make bulbs with higher Kelvin/Lumens than 4100k/3200 lumen(except Philips with their 6000k/2800 lumen Ultinon for Japan). All bulbs with higher Kelvin(lower Lumen)have be altered by the retro kit company. Philips will have a 4800k/3700 Lumen bulb coming out next year which should give a "bluer" look AND be brighter.

Paul:fireman:
Old 10-30-2002, 06:23 AM

Here's a link to a great site with all the HID Q & As:

http://www.intellexual.net/hid.htm
Old 10-30-2002, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by pfdaxe
Here's a link to a great site with all the HID Q & As:

http://www.intellexual.net/hid.htm
That is a good read, is there any way to retrofit an OEM reflector housing into a 4Runner?
Old 10-30-2002, 09:17 PM

Do you mean "projector"?? 4 Runners have reflector housings. You can put projectors into any reflector housing but it takes some work to make it fit and operate correctly. They is a company that retro reflector housing with projector lights. You have to send them your headlights and several hundred dollars and in about a couple of weeks they'll have them. I run a retro HID kit in my OEM reflector housings.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:23 PM

Do you mean "projector"?? 4 Runners have reflector housings. You can put projectors into any reflector housing but it takes some work to make it fit and operate correctly. They is a company that retro reflector housing with projector lights. You have to send them your headlights and several hundred dollars and in about a couple of weeks they'll have them. I run a retro HID kit in my OEM reflector housings.
Yea, I meant projector. Is there an immense benefit to going this way than a retro HID kit in the OEM housing? Who is the company what type of money are we talking?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2002, 04:36 AM

I can't remember the company name. I'll have to look for it. I think it was around $700 to mod. The bennys to do that type of mod is that projectors have a much better beam pattern and cut-off point. They also have that nice color ouput that is hard to duplicate in a reflector housing with an HID kit. The projectors will look brighter also.
Old 10-31-2002, 05:57 AM

Ok...here's the web site for projector mods:

http://www.illusion-lighting.com/

$700 for the complete mod. Not a bad price considering that includes the bulbs and ballast. It's the labor that is costly because this type of mod is very time consuming. Im going to email them for more details. I would love to have projectors in mine

Paul
Old 10-31-2002, 10:34 AM

Ok...here's the web site for projector mods:

http://www.illusion-lighting.com/

$700 for the complete mod. Not a bad price considering that includes the bulbs and ballast. It's the labor that is costly because this type of mod is very time consuming. Im going to email them for more details. I would love to have projectors in mine

Paul
Thanks Paul, that site is really cool! The higher stage kits look just like BMW HID headlights. Let us know as soon as you et the details.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:58 PM
DuB

I thought that site looked familiar! I was trying to figure out why I was gettin total deja vu from that site name. The guy who runs that site (or company) posts on ClubLexus which I occasionally have been lurking around since doing an install in my sister's Lexus. Well, maybe you guys can lurk on over there and chat with him

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...threadid=62648
Old 02-24-2003, 07:46 AM

Any info from them Paul?
Old 02-24-2003, 08:19 AM

Yeah...they raised their price from $700 to $800.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:20 PM

i have maculloch....there isnt a high beam but in reality you dont need it....i have had mine for a year now and i cant go back to stock...its about 400 bucks and worth every penny...go HID you wont regret it