Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Transmission poll...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission poll...

My '96 4Runner has about 140K on it... bought it with 46K on it and never have flushed/changed the transmission fluid.

I have heard from old timers that at this point, it is best to never try and change or flush it since it has so many miles on it. The explanation I got is that the bits of metal in the fluid that have worn off over time are now contributing to cushion, etc. and you dont want to lose those to replace with just fluid as it can then lead to a downhill journey for your transmission.

Any opinions on this would be great as I would like some experienced viewpoints on it.

Thanks.
Joel

p.s.- Where to get a replacement Tranny pan plug?
Old 07-06-2004, 12:55 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Oh.
My.
Gawd!
Sorry, but that is sooooooooooo wrong.
IF there are many metallic particles in there - something is already wrong. Even so, getting them out, keeping them out, and keeping fresh fluid and filter in there is your insurance against breakdown. Metallic particles would not "cushion" anything, they would wear everything out faster than ever! Think about your engine oil, why does it need changed so often?

I ran an automatic trans rebuild shop for a few years, and nearly every total failure was due to a lack of maintenance. (Except for Chrysler minivans, For Aerostars and Ford Tauruses - which kept us in business... <grin>) Clogged filters, clogged valve bodies, stuck solenoids, and metallic parts worn out all because of burnt and contaminated fluid.

Transmission fluid serves multiple purposes. Among other things, it cleans, cools, lubricates, transmits force, transmits pressure, inhibits varnish build-up and protects the transmission on a day-to-day basis. For the best possible results, have your car's transmission fluid and filter changed every two years or 24,000 miles. This assures that contaminates are removed from the transmission and that the fluid viscosity stays within the proper range. The overwhelming majority of transmission failures are heat-related, and automatic transmission fluid breaks down rapidly when subjected to high temperatures. Driving conditions such as trailer towing, quick stops and starts, ascending and descending mountains, and wheel-spinning in slippery conditions are but a few scenarios that can devastate the life of the transmission fluid. The fluid darkens when it overheats, and it rapidly loses it's ability to lubricate and cool. If you've knowingly overheated your transmission, (or even suspect you have) change the fluid. Many automatic transmissions can actually last the life of the car, but they will die very quickly without proper maintenance. You cannot go with a "if it ain't broke don't fix it' attitude here.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

ahh another raleigh guy. attending NCSU, alum, or just a big fan? if you plan on going to the football games this year lemme know, theres a big crew of us that go out

as for your question, engines are sometimes better to leave alone because the seals are being held together with gunk from inside the motor, a transmission is very different, if you have stuff floating around in the oil its just going to eat at the gears. Flush it.

"p.s.- Where to get a replacement Tranny pan plug?"

call the dealer or a junk yard, cant think of many other places

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 07-06-2004 at 07:04 PM.