Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Trailmaster lift to All-Pro lift problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailmaster lift to All-Pro lift problem?

Hi all,
I finally got the money to purchase the all pro coilovers and uca's I have wanted since purchasing my 99 tacoma but have a problem. The truck came with a 3 or 4" subframe drop trailmaster lift. I replaced the blocks with all pro's leaves a long time ago but just got my tax return to pay for the front. It won't be here til next week but I was looking in the front to check on a problem I was afraid I would run into. The shop that installed the old lift seems to have cut off the rear crossmember of the original subframe to allow clearance for the diff drop and lower subframe of the trailmaster lift. The front part of the subframe has no obviuos cuts but I am not sure if there was a bolted crossmember or it was cut also.

So my question is has anyone had this problem when upgrading from a cheap "look" lift to a performance lift? The only options I can think of are either to hack up trailmasters drop subframe to make a crossmember or use square tubing to fab a new one (will be difficult to do for me). Keeping the old lift isn't an option cause it rides like crap and offers little flex. Any and all help and/or suggestions would greatly help. Thank you for all help on this and all other threads that have helped in the past.

Joe
Old 05-07-2008, 03:25 AM

I just put on an all pro coilover lift this weekend. I had a few problems also, but if you just call the all pro they will be able to answer any questions about the lift you have. They were very helpfull to me, but they are only open on the weekdays and closed on the weekends.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a trailmaster lift.

Going back to stock is not going to be easy. You'll have to fabricate a new crossmember that your steering rack will mount to.

Secondly, you ordered UCA's, which the trailmaster kit has eliminated with a 2nd strut.

The best option is to swap out the coilovers you have now with the all-pro coilovers, and get custom springs in the back.

The trailmaster kit does not decrease travel. In fact, you'll get better travel with this kit than with jacked up coilovers. The geometry stays at stock angles, so that means your steering, CV's, and springs will not bind.

I've done plenty of hard trails with several rigs, and I really enjoy having the kit on. Since its my DD, it drives like stock on the road, but also has the clearance for large tires for offroad.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:58 PM

SC4runner-

I wasn't trying to diss the trailmaster lift, if it works for you good on it but your message confused me a little.

1st, my truck still has UCA's on it and I am not sure what you are talking about with new struts. Mine is only a 4" lift and I noticed yours was 6" so maybe thats the difference. I don't think I will have a problem with UCA's.

2nd, I am going to argue with you about the travel of a drop subframe lift vs. a replacement coilover and uca lift. I don't claim that a drop subframe lift has LESS travel than a stock suspension and just believe new adjustable coilovers and uca's have MORE travel than stock and the sub drop. My truck is a DD also and I believe new coilovers would be better across the board. I could be wrong (which I often am).

Either way, my biggest problem is the replacement of the rear crossmember that was hacked off. Until I fix that, it doesn't matter how good or bad the all pro susp. kit works.

Thanks for the reply and. info