Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Toying with the the idea of a Toytec Lift.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toying with the the idea of a Toytec Lift.

So, I have been thinking long and hard and I feel it is time to get Tess in the Air.
I have been toying with the idea of getting a Toytec OME 3" Lift 4Runner Coil Kit.
Included in the kit is as follows.

* (2) front lift OME coil springs
* (2) Toytec top plate spacers for full 3" front lift with coil springs
* (6) top plate studs
* (2) 3" lift rear coil springs (2" lift rear coils also available-same price)

On top of getting this kit I was going to get the 1" Differential Drop to try to relieve some stress on the cv's.

I have a few questions for those running this particular kit.
1) If you did the install yourself, how easy was it and how much time would you estimate it took? Anything I should look out for when the install is done, either by me or a professional?
2) Are you happy with the set up ride wise on and off road?
3) Pros and Cons to this particular set up?
4) What size tires would you recommend running with this kit?
5) Have any of you running this kit changed out shocks? If so, do you recommend any particular shock to go with this set up? (I have a feeling that down the road I will need to get new shocks)
6) Did you have to purchase extended brake lines or do the stock ones suffice for the time being? (will be updating lines on down the road, just curious if it was particular for this specific kit.)

I think that pretty much covers the duration of my questions.
Also as for those who are running this set up, if you could please post a picture with your response so I can get a sense of the look.

Thank you much.
Avy
Old 05-31-2007, 11:55 PM
Contributing Member

IMO, that entire kit is garbage. You will definitely need new shocks. By the time your done spending all that money, you could just do it right the first time and order a true & tested 7.1 kit.
Read everything.... http://www.sonoransteel.com/store_co..._liftkits.html
Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:45 AM

To each his own...

Do a search for "toytec" on here, there are several people who have that lift and have no complaints. They have great customer service and deliver quickly from what I have read. Alot of folks on here (good people by the way!) will push you toward the SS kits. They are wonderful kits. But YOU do the research and decide for yourself ultimately...

Personally, the Toytec OME 3 Run kit is on my list for this summer. I have read til my eyes bled about all the different ways to lift your rig. You can do the same if you have the time. Do what you want, not what others think you should do. It's your wallet your emptying.

My .02

James
Old 06-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

I greatly appreciate your input gentleman while at the same time my questions have not been answered.

I was seeking the opinions of those who already are running the lift.
and other questions about install tire size and any other nic nacs i may have to worry about.

again thank you fro your opinion,
Old 06-01-2007, 07:33 AM

Well I just did a quick search and there are tonnes of threads that answer all your questions. Just search toytec. The information is way more easier to make sense of on the "toytec" search than when i was searching OME lift (what a nightmare that was) thats for sure.haha
Old 06-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

I will have to try the search function again then.

I never seem to have any luck.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:38 AM

https://www.yotatech.com/search.php?searchid=3240743

There are many threads but most titles give a good idea of whats going on, and it is not nearly as much of a pissing contest as the OME lift (even though the toytec utilizes OME)
Old 06-01-2007, 08:07 AM
Banned

with the ome front coils, its not really going to be a top out spacer, you are going to be looking at a preload spacer that goes in the coil pack. my opinion the best front lift options are as followed

tundra coils with a set of top outs (not a 1.5 inch spacer, a 3/8ths spacer)

or go with coilovers
saw 2.0s or camburg 2.5s
donahoes or extended cos
walker evans (all pros)
toytec coilovers (Ric has these, contact him)
Kings

your other options were
OME 881-882s with a spacer
PP lift springs
Spacers

just do some thinking and piece stuff together if you have too.

I never bought a full kit, i pieced mine together.

to answer some of your questions

OME is a good setup for offroad, but when you throw a preload spacer on it typically limits downtravel. When spacers are added to already stiff coils, you are going to feel... everything! ome 891s in the rear feel good though, Ive had both these and the LCs and I think I liked the ome 891s better, but I needed the LCs for all the weight I have in the back anyways.

Installation: for the front you will absolutely have to put the spring and coil on the strut assembly. inless you take it to meinke or some place that has a wallmount compressor. Coilovers are the exception, they are built and you just pull out your old assembly and put in the new.

Rear? drop axle, put in springs, and your set, its pretty simple.

GET new shocks, i think the problem here is overextending stock shocks is going to destroy one.

Do the brakelines too, I havent but dont do what im doing. Do what is recommended and you wont have problems down the road.

Last edited by neliconcept; 06-01-2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:20 AM

Can't help with the front, but I run the OME890's in the rear. I didn't get them from ToyTec, because they're much cheaper from 4WheelParts. You will want to get new shocks, but they're not required. I only have the 2.5" front spacers from ToyTec, and they work fine.

Took me less than 3 hours from start to finish to install everything, and I'm happy with it. I did rent a coil compressor from AutoZone, worked great. Total cost including alignment was < $300. And no, I didn't use an extended brake line in the rear.

HTH.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by YotaFun
I greatly appreciate your input gentleman while at the same time my questions have not been answered.

I was seeking the opinions of those who already are running the lift.
and other questions about install tire size and any other nic nacs i may have to worry about.

again thank you fro your opinion,
You are correct... you did indeed ask for those with first-person experience with this lift. I am sorry for not reading your post as carefully as I should have. I have a tendency to kind of "glance over" a post if it is more than a paragraph long (yeah, my attention span is short)

At any rate, give this thread a couple of days and I'm sure even more than above will respond with personal experience.

Good luck!

James
Old 06-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Banned

oh and another thing,

regardless of what anyone in here is going to say is the best, the best thing for "You" to do is to find some ppl from TTORA in your area that have various front end lift options, ride with them and gather what you think is best for your riding style.

Reason I stress this is im on my freakin 3rd front lift now.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

1) If you did the install yourself, how easy was it and how much time would you estimate it took? Anything I should look out for when the install is done, either by me or a professional?

I paid a local meineke under the table and they close down the shop and pretty much rent it and the tools out to me for the time i need. Regardless, air tools make this job EASY. The differential drop is a must, and is very easy to install. Instructions come with the package. I also recommend new poly bushings that toytec sells as compliments to any lift. once you start taking out your old ones you will see why. and plus you'll have the skids off to work on the diff drop so might as well while everythings prepped for it.

Couldn't be happier, I have the 882s up front because of the arb and its rather stiff but i like it actually. for me it adjusted my driving habits to be easier on the road (ie taking bumps slower and everything) it helps with dealing with your new springs and prolongs your car life haha. haven't really put it through any tests worth mentioning yet, but have been in the down and dirty and it rides great

All pros that I can think of. good, solid, cheap way to get that lift. and instead of a spacer lift where you'll have to replace down the road, this is more of a basis for a full lift, you just start off with the basic gear. from there you can upgrade to suit your on/off road driving habits.

285/75s are perfect for this lift. If your backspacing is right on your wheels and you like the wider tire look, you can also look into 305/70s. you may need a 1" body lift to clear them without issue, however

5) Have any of you running this kit changed out shocks? If so, do you recommend any particular shock to go with this set up? (I have a feeling that down the road I will need to get new shocks)
I'm still running stock shocks, up front I am getting the OMEs. in the rears i will either be going ome or bilsteins.

6) Did you have to purchase extended brake lines or do the stock ones suffice for the time being? (will be updating lines on down the road, just curious if it was particular for this specific kit.)
As always, things like this are recommended. I checked mine after the install and there was still a comfortable amount of slack, I can't see it being endangered in the least.

Toytec 3" OME Coil Spring lift with 285/75 BF Goodrich All Terrains

More pictures in my sig

Last edited by MillerPKA; 06-01-2007 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:38 AM

I just installed a 3" toytec lift [spacers up front ome 891 in rear] yesterday. It took me about 8 hours but I am slow. The hardest part was getting the strut assembly back on. I had to pry like crazy on the upper arm to get the lower bolt in. Gettin the old rear shocks of was a real chore too. I had to get a ratchet on the top bolt and then spin the shock with a strap wrench in order to break it loose. Needless to say I am sorer than hell today. I'm on my way to the tire shop now. Putting on nitto terra grapplers 285/75-16 and new polished 16x8 wheels. Anyway you will definatly need a impact wrench and a buddy to do this install. Have fun.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DSN46
To each his own...
Here, i'll quote it for you...
20. What about SPACER LIFTS, like Toytec, Cornbred, Revtek, Daystar and others. Spacer lifts are what they are. It was my first lift and the rear spacers keep me happy for 6 months or so and the fronts for less than 9 months. If a spacer lift is the only thing you can afford, so be it. It is better than nothing, or is it? After you read the drawbacks of a spacer lift, maybe stock would actually "work" better off road.

Benefits of a Spacer Lift:
1. Lifts the truck 1-3" higher
2. Very Inexpensive

Downfalls of a spacer lift:
1. The biggest one is that they re-use your stock coils, which is not really a good thing if you are looking for a lift. 96-98 4Runners were 3/4" to 1" lower than the 1999 model year, 2000 was along the lines of 96-98 and 01-02 4Runners were the lowest yet, over 1" lower than the same model 1999 4Runner. When your starting out 1" to 2" lower your 2"-3" spacers are only going to get you 1" or so above a 1999 4WD 4Runner bone stock. Replacing the coils is a far better way to actually gain lift. Take a look at our front coil comparison for yourself.
2. Spacers placed inside the spring pack preload the coil for lift, make it live in a smaller area, by reducing the area it is allowed to live in you in turn reduce upward travel. So you now have less travel than stock, that is not a good thing when you start with so little. Also making the coil live in smaller area without adjusting your a-arms bump stops to compensate will over compress the coil and cause it to stack and fail at a very fast rate. Ask around and see how many people had coils sag or drop with spacers over time. Spacers placed outside the coil pack like the Daystar 1.5" and the Downey spacer increase the shock length which will lead to excessive droop, as the 96-02 4Runners do not have the droop stops of the 86-95 Trucks and 4Runners. This excessive droop will cause the outer CV to bind and literally rip the star out of the joint, resulting in a broken CV axle and a dead truck. Front shock length is critical on these vehicles. This can be fixed with limiting straps, but why not do it right from the beginning.

So with less travel because the coil will stack sooner, it seems to us that spacer lifts actually reduce the effectiveness of your vehicle off road. The purpose of our lift kits is to gain the lift without loosing any of the travel the factory provided, as they did not provide much to begin with. It's a cheap way to lift a truck, but don't expect much in the actual performance area. If you are looking for a long term solution, I would aim higher than a spacer lift.
The above reasons are why many have learned the hard way.

Last edited by rocket; 06-01-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:52 AM

He wasnt asking about a spacer lift.....
OME Coils front and back. OME 3 Run kit from ToyTec.

Thanks,

James
Old 06-02-2007, 02:48 AM
Contributing Member

He wasnt asking about a spacer lift.....
ok, sorry i didn't read it clearly enough but it's still garbage. Kit costs $359.99 without shocks. Factor in the price of new shocks, brake lines, panhard drop, extended bump stops, and your looking at a $800++
Also, what springs are included? ...they don't even bother to tell you which ones they are.

Like i said, do it right the first time. Or buy this kit, figure out what shocks you need, and then hope it's what you like. If it's worth saving a $100 bucks for what you ride/wheel on, then more power to you.

Whatever is "best" has been hashed, proven, wheeled, and malled over & over again and the obvious choice always remains.

Good luck.

Last edited by rocket; 06-02-2007 at 02:51 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:10 AM

Okay. You win.

Last edited by DSN46; 06-02-2007 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by YotaFun
So, I have been thinking long and hard and I feel it is time to get Tess in the Air.
I have been toying with the idea of getting a Toytec OME 3" Lift 4Runner Coil Kit.
Included in the kit is as follows.

* (2) front lift OME coil springs
* (2) Toytec top plate spacers for full 3" front lift with coil springs
* (6) top plate studs
* (2) 3" lift rear coil springs (2" lift rear coils also available-same price)

On top of getting this kit I was going to get the 1" Differential Drop to try to relieve some stress on the cv's.

I think that pretty much covers the duration of my questions.
Also as for those who are running this set up, if you could please post a picture with your response so I can get a sense of the look.

Thank you much.
Avy
1.) I did the install myself at a dealership shop (I know some people) and with all their air tools and such it took about 4 hours. Get some help compressing the springs. I used the wall mounted compressor at the shop.
2.) The ride is definately stiffer on road but I am running stock shocks. Eventually I would like to get the OME shocks all around. With the stock shocks, travel is limited by shock length but off road performance is still good.
3.) Pros = Price & OME is quality. Also toytec is great to work with. Cons = You still need shocks and will need extended brake line when you get the full length shocks and maybe a panhard bar.
4.) I'm running 285/75/16 Mud Kings with no rubbing. Any larger and I think I would rub unless I had different rims. I'm running stock wheels.
5.) *see #2* (I am running stock shocks still)
6.) *see #3* (No need for brake line until you get longer shocks).

Definatly get the diff. drop.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

those are 285s?

i'm not bashing bro your rig looks sick but damn in the first pic the rear wheel doesn't even look like a 265....maybe its just angling or something but in the second picture you have a much bigger gap between rear tire and fender lip than most i see
Old 06-03-2007, 03:52 AM

I Just install my kit that I got from Toytec last week. I called Toytec and told them what I wanted. I got 881's for the front and 890's for the rear with OME shocks for the front & rear. The kit also came with 1/2" spacers w/studs for the front and a 1" diff drop kit.
I also got a poly bushing kit for the front sway bar and stainless brake lines for the front & Rear from Wheelers Offroad. I did not install the brake lines yet (I'll do that when I do the Tundra brake upgrade). I had enough slack in the rear brake line so I left it.
I installed eveything myself in a day and took about 6 hours. I'm a mechanic so I didn't think it was that hard to do. A coil spring compressor is a must unless you can have a local place swap the strut assemblis around for you. I would recommend replacing the front shocks while everything is apart. The strut assemblies are not exactly fun getting back in (of course that's with OME front shocks which have a longer drop than stock shocks). I have 265/75R16 Toyo open country A/T on stock rims. Next tires will be 285's although it still looks good with the 265's. I had a complete 4 wheel alignment done and they had to adjust the front a bit so I would highly recommend an alignment after any lift.
I love the way it rides now. It is definatly stiffer but takes the bumps well & with more control. Before it would bounce all over. There is not as much roll when going around a corner now. I went down a bumpy dirt road about 30 mph and it took the bumps very well and handled great. Overall I'm very happy with it.

Quick Reply: Toying with the the idea of a Toytec Lift.