Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Towing with a 1997 4Runner 4X4 V6 too much?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing with a 1997 4Runner 4X4 V6 too much?

I'm thinking about buying a trailer which is 4,400lbs dry weight. It's a 24' Tahoe Glidelite Thor. My question is what do I need to do to make my towing as safe as possible..brakes...cooling...tow options. I've already bought a brake controller and a transmission cooler w/bypass.
Thanks in advance for all your input.

Aaron
Bellingham,WA
Attached Thumbnails Towing with a 1997 4Runner 4X4 V6 too much?-adfr-photo-6817-1.jpg  
Old 12-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
The common things like an electric brake controller, equalizing hitch, transmission cooler and a well maintained vehicle. If the dry weight is 4400 lbs that is pretty much approaching the max tow weight. By the time you add food, water propane, a battery etc to you trailer you are pretty dang heavy. Plus you have the weight of the people in the vehicle. Have you done anything about your rear springs?

To be honest with you, get something lighter. I would not buy a trailer from a dealership that says your truck would be fine towing this.

To make your towing safer with this trailer, get a bigger truck. Just my opinion.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:49 PM

i'm no expert on towing, but i do tow a 5x8 utility trailer with mine. with the money you are going to put into upgrading everything to accommodate the max weight, you'd be better off buying a tow vehicle. how bout a tundra?!
Old 12-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
get a bigger truck or a smaller trailer
Old 12-20-2007, 08:51 PM

Rear springs?

I will have the electric brakes, tranny cooler, and equalizer hitch. I will also keep the liquids at a minimum. What are my options for rear springs?
Old 12-20-2007, 08:56 PM

It's not from a dealer but from a friend. I was going to hook it up and take it for a drive and see how it does.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I towed a 5x8 enclosed trailer across the States, it was close to 5000lbs. It was not fun.

If a better tow vehicle or lighter trailer are out of the question, you're on the right track. For the rear of the 'runner I would consider some airbags. Firestone makes them: http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/r.../toyota.shtml#
Old 12-20-2007, 09:01 PM

Which air bags from Firestone would help with towing?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:04 PM

I will also be staying on the west side of the mountains in Washington/Oregon. I won't be using it very often..maybe 5 times a year.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:55 PM

Doesn't matter if you have trailer brakes and transmission coolers. Towing 4400lbs in a 4Runner is not ideal, nor very safe, IMO. The trailer brakes will help some in stopping, but maneuvering will prove to be sketchy, especially if you're headed downhill. It is scary having that much weight in the hind-quarters of your 4Runner.

I'd be more comfortable towing that in a 4th Gen, but even then.... For those 5 times a year, borrow a friend's truck.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:12 PM

Its not so much the power issue, or the stopping power... Its that the vehicle weighs 3700 lbs, and the trailer weighs 4400 both without people and gear. Its the Tail wagging the dog situation. I towed my buddies 98 frontier on a 20' flatbed trailer with my 1990 3.0 V6 5spd 4x4 truck, back when I still had the 3.0 in it, and I drove VERY slowly and careful, it was doable for that one time, but not fun. If you end up using the 4runner, definatly get the brake controller, tranny cooler, weight distributing hitch as you mentioned, also get the bags for the rear as mentioned, and you might want to look into supercharging the 4runner, it will help if you encounter a grade...
Old 12-20-2007, 10:31 PM

I'll try a test tow this weekend and see how it goes. Thank you for all your help.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:53 PM

I towed a 5x8 utility trailer around town for my wedding and my stock springs it was REALLY low. I had to flip the ball on the hitch just to get it high enough...it was rough. I say I was running about 4000 lbs all loaded down.

I would get a better vehicle or a smaller camper if it was me.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, that is pretty darn close to overload for a 3rd gen IMHO. I've had some bad experiences towing big loads with mine especially when you start getting over 3500 lbs. Unless you have a set of OME springs with airbags in the rear as well as upgraded Tundra front brakes and a very heavy duty tranny cooler (20,000+), I wouldn't even think of trying it myself.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
MTL brings up a good point: brakes on the 4Runner. If you have stock rotors and you haven't warped them yet, towing that weight will. Either the Tundra setup (ideal for towing) or at the very least some Brembo rotors. Do a search here for more on 3rd gen brakes.

Oh and the Firestone link I posted will take you right to the Toyotas, click SUV and find your vehicle.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:31 AM

I'm going to be attempting the same thing with my 97 (a 5 speed though). I'll be towing a U-Haul car trailer with our 07 Toyota Yaris on it from South Carolina to California this summer. I'm going to add the Firestone Air Bags and make sure the brakes are all in order and give it a whirl. I figure 4th gear 60 mph will be fine.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I towed a 4000 lb boat for a couple years with my 4runner. With gas, wakeboard gear, beer, and people, I was over my load limit. Plus, I towed it up and over all the cascade mountain passes. I eventually blew out my rear end shearing almost every tooth off the main ring. I also warped the hell out of my front rotors and blew out 2 rear axel seals (maybe unrelated). I would personally get a smaller trailer or bigger truck if you want a long life out of the yota.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just towed an overloaded trailer earlier this year and let me tell you that i will never be doing that again. It weighted about 5,000lb by my calculationas with everything in it and it was half as long as that thing (u-hual trailer with lots of wood and junk in it).

The power to get going was ok (the 3.4 has boat loads of tourque) but it just refused to go above 60 without having it at WOT the whole 1500 miles which i would not do. Lucky for me it was pretty much a straigh shot on the highway, had i done any city driving i would have gone mad, it was not fun in the corners at all.

Also, i can not stress enough proper loading of the trailer, on the way back it had about half the weight but it was 10x scaryier. We had mis-loaded it with the weight at the back instead of the front and it would get squrrily for no reason with just a little wind or a turn. And there was NO way to stop it other than prying hard and just slowing down to almost stoping on the highway.

That was the most scared i have ever been in a car.

Personally you could not get me to tow that with a 4runner for anything. I woulld want at least a full-size truck for that. tundra would be much better. or even an older ford. they are dirt cheap and it would be worth it, with the $$$ you will have to spend to beef up your truck you could get an older model ford. Do that, please.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:36 PM

Keep in mind that if the manufacturer states 4400# dry weight, you can add about another 400-800#'s to that figure. Mine was quoted to be 2900# dry weight and when I weighed it at the weigh scale it was closer to 3800#'s, without any gear inside the trailer; loaded my trailer tipped the scales at 4400#'s. I talked to some people who rent out trailers and they told me that manufacturers list the trailer a few hundred pounds below the actual weight. Once you add A/C, spare tire, propane tanks, etc. it boosts up the weight a few hundred pounds. When you take it for a test drive weigh it at a truck weigh scale, my guess is it will at least be 4800-5000#'s. Then add another 300-600#'s of your own gear and you do the math.

My set up is at it's limit IMO and that is with all the proper towing set-up and stock tires (otherwise you need to regear if you have bigger tires). My truck pulls it okay without any problems listed by others. It drives straight (but slow up hills) and I haven't had any braking issues cause my trailer brakes are set up properly, but I wouldn't want anything heavier.

P.S. My runner is 3.4, 5spd with 255000kms (apprx. 155000 miles). And I've done lots of mountain passes without any scary moments. Drive smart. But IMO that trailer you mention is too heavy for your runner. I'd get a bigger truck. Just my 2cents.

Cheers
Old 12-22-2007, 09:30 PM

Denpacc do you have any pics of the truck/trailer combo. I'd be interested to see what it looks like. It's kinda hard to get a good idea by looking at your avatar.

Thanks,

Mike.

Quick Reply: Towing with a 1997 4Runner 4X4 V6 too much?