Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tools for Deckplate Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No MPG gains for me either but it does let people know when you are at WOT.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
My deckplate gives me at least 50 more hp, almost as much as my TRD stickers...

LMAO!

Old 08-08-2007, 10:51 AM

My deckplate gives me at least 50 more hp, almost as much as my TRD stickers...

Ha, Ha! I like that one!,Lol A good laugh is just what I needed today.Mike

Old 08-08-2007, 11:15 AM

I bought my deck plate a couple of years ago.. never got to putting it in for all the reasons discussed.. but it is still in my garage... looking at me... hum.. I'm going to find a good use for that.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:42 AM

I was contemplating this mod. After reading this I will gladly pass. Thanks guys.

MacGilla
Old 08-08-2007, 12:10 PM

I thought I read here somewhere about someone dyno testing the mod? sounds like my procrastination saved me some wasted effort.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

A few years ago, (I believe) Gadget of URD fame dyno tested a 3.4 V6 with and without the deckplate. His results found an 8 hp gain from the deckplate mod. I will say that when I did mine, I also did the ISR mod as well. I noticed an increase in sound at WOT, and I "felt" an increase in punch at the powerband. Was it legit? I don't know. The "butt dyno" says yes. I just like the sound it gives at WOT.

The bottom line?
Would I do it again? Probably.
Was it a waste of time? Not really since I didn't have anything else to do that day.
Does it give you more hp? Depends on who you talk to.
Does that clear up the argument? Nope.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:57 PM

The results with the Dino testing is and was fine. The only problem with it is some people thought that 8 hp was allot and that you could really feel a big difference. That fact was never found by me but I'm not saying that others never felt it. They very well could have. I live in an area that is nothing but hills and mountain climbing all day long and in fact I live on top of a mountain and have a steep .5 mile incline just to get to my driveway. The deck plate and elbow mod combined never made a bit of difference that I can feel on that climb or any other one I have made over the years before and after the mod.
A good tuneup including fuel filter, PCV , cleaning the sensors and throttle body along with a bottle of TechTron in the tank gives me more power than a deck plate ever did. But that's just me and my findings on the subject, Mike
Old 08-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Beartracker
The results with the Dino testing is and was fine. The only problem with it is some people thought that 8 hp was allot and that you could really feel a big difference. That fact was never found by me but I'm not saying that others never felt it. They very well could have. I live in an area that is nothing but hills and mountain climbing all day long and in fact I live on top of a mountain and have a steep .5 mile incline just to get to my driveway. The deck plate and elbow mod combined never made a bit of difference that I can feel on that climb or any other one I have made over the years before and after the mod.
A good tuneup including fuel filter, PCV , cleaning the sensors and throttle body along with a bottle of TechTron in the tank gives me more power than a deck plate ever did. But that's just me and my findings on the subject, Mike
I agree. I just wanted to clarify that there was, indeed, a proven gain that could potentially be gotten from the deckplate mod. It really comes down to if you have the time and desire to do it, then do it. If not, no biggie.

Ah, auto trends... Anyone want my Helix throttle body spacer?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

I stood and personally watched dyno runs where the only difference was the deckplate being screwed in and removed. 4-8 HP was constantly gained by removing the plate and the same lost by putting it back in. This was repeatable all day.

A lot? No... cheap? Yes.

Anything that increases the ability of the engine to breath has a place in our toolbox. Is it the beat all, end all? Definately not. I don't thinking anyone is claiming it adds "push you back in your seat" gains, but I laugh when people with no evidence claim it does "nothing". I have seen otherwise. It's measureable.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by WATRD
I stood and personally watched dyno runs where the only difference was the deckplate being screwed in and removed. 4-8 HP was constantly gained by removing the plate and the same lost by putting it back in. This was repeatable all day.

A lot? No... cheap? Yes.

Anything that increases the ability of the engine to breath has a place in our toolbox. Is it the beat all, end all? Definitely not. I don't thinking anyone is claiming it adds "push you back in your seat" gains, but I laugh when people with no evidence claim it does "nothing". I have seen otherwise. It's measureable.
Rob, It seems that you are misunderstanding what some of us are saying here. I'm not disagreeing with the facts of the Dyno testing on the deck plate mod but the 4-8 hp is not enough of a gain for some of us to notice any difference in the actual performance of our trucks. The hype a few years ago made people think that 4-8 hp could really be felt and it was a big improvement and a mod that everyone should do for the power. Many of us jumped on the "MOD IT" band wagon only to be disappointed. It could also be that many of us never really understood just how small 4-8 hp is when it comes to a truck.
That doesn't mean that we don't believe it didn't help the performance, only that it wasn't really worth the cost of the deck plate or the cutting of the box. You can bet that there are many of us who don't even bother to remove the plate anymore. Mike

Last edited by Beartracker; 08-08-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

I think I lost my plate...
Old 08-08-2007, 03:27 PM

I wanted to do the deckplate but went with a CAI instead, noticed slight throttle reponse. Installing the Cold Air Intake also did away with all factory air box parts and piping - except the MAF so maybe that helped. I like the sound of this intake when WOT.

Last edited by Hilux Surf Limited; 08-08-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:41 PM

Tacoclimber , I got some duct tape if you want it, Lol.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Beartracker
it wasn't really worth the cost of the deck plate or the cutting of the box.

So, 8hp for $10 is not worth the cost?
Old 08-08-2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Adam F
So, 8hp for $10 is not worth the cost?

If you have 2 hp lawn mower and you ad 4-8 hp to it then you really have something! You will see, feel and hear the difference for sure. If you ad 4-8 hp to a 2.7 or 3.4 you are not likely to ever notice it. I thought I stated this above and why I feel the way I do about it. If you read all the comments on this discussion here and on other sites and threads you will see that many others who did this mod feel the same way.
I never made this statement to start an argument over it. If you can feel the difference and you believe it gives you a noticeable extra power then that's great! Nothing wrong with doing it at all. More power to you! So to speak, Mike
Old 08-08-2007, 05:45 PM

One thing I forgot to ad. If you do some research you will see that not everyone who did the Dyno testing got 8 hp or the same results and they would not. It also depends on how well the engine is tuned and who's doing the testing. Not every engine will give the same HP no matter what you do. It's not going to happen anymore than two guns made by the same manufacture will shoot the same. Mike
Old 08-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

I'm telling you, for real hp gains, you gotta get TRD stickers!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 06:59 PM

especially the supercharged stickers, thats where the real power comes from

I've often wondered how many vehicles with the "supercharged" stickers really are packing the boost. especially when you see one on a vehicle that no charger was ever made for,

stickercharged, all of the power (and then some), none of the tuning hastles or cost
Old 08-08-2007, 11:20 PM

Seriously - Is there a site where you can buy the real TRD Decals like the ones on your Tacoma? I think they look cool and was entertaining a supercharger in the near future.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Tools for Deckplate Mod