Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TJM vs ARB Bull Bars???????

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know about the TJM, but last month I bought a used ARB which had seen a lot use. Coat of polish and wax, it looks new again.
I was really impressed with the install too. On my 2nd gen, the bumper actually fits over the front of the frame. The bumper bolts to the frame in about 10 places and then utilizes the original bumper mounts.
Good luck with whichever you choose, either way it's much better than stock.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by golden
I don't know about the TJM, but last month I bought a used ARB which had seen a lot use. Coat of polish and wax, it looks new again.
I was really impressed with the install too. On my 2nd gen, the bumper actually fits over the front of the frame. The bumper bolts to the frame in about 10 places and then utilizes the original bumper mounts.
Good luck with whichever you choose, either way it's much better than stock.
Yes I was very impressed with the ARB I saw. It looked stronger than my TJM. So it used 10 bolts into the frame? Wow that's 4 more than my TJM. Plus some more into the original bumper mounts?
Old 10-23-2003, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

I didn't have any instructions, just a bumper and big bag of bolts.
So I put a bolt in every hole that was threaded and lined up

I used 3 bolts on each frame rail, 2 on the front of the frame under the radiator, 2 bolts that also hold the skid plate, then the original bumper mounts.
Funny thing is I still have a lot of bolts/washers left. I guess those will be used when I install a winch.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

I was wrong earlier about my TJM, it uses 6 bolts on each side, so a total of 12 bolts.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:50 PM

Are there ARB bumpers for my truck?
Old 10-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

NCSU-4runner - I live in New Mexico ---What's Mud???? LOL
We haven't had enough rain the past few years to worry about it here.

mt_goat - Thanks for the Heads-Up I kind of thought all the original Powder Coat would have to be removed. No Problem black bumpers look cool.

King, what year is your truck??
Old 10-23-2003, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

I haven't seen any comments refering to how these bumpers compare based on approach angles or how they adapt to a body lift. Any stats or experience on either of these two issues?
Old 10-23-2003, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

As far as approach angles the TJM is suppost to be a little better than the ARB. Here is a picture of the approach with my TJM picture is here

As far as adapting to a body lift, I have a friend that is getting rid of his ARB because he wants a body lift. He is going to a TJM because it appears to be fairly easy to modify it for a body lift. Our idea for modifing the TJM is to weld extention plates on to the mounting bracket to raise the bumper the same as the body. With the ARB the mounting bracket and the bumper are all one piece so first you will have to cut the mounting bracket from the bumper and then fab up some way to reweld it back together with the bumper higher up. This will take some very accurate measuring because there doesn't seem to be anyway to adjust the height of the ARB. With the TJM you can fine tune the height adjustment with the bolts that hold the bumper to the mounting bracket. I have heard of raising the ARB though.

So the things that make the ARB stronger (all one piece construction) also make it harder to modify for a body lift IMHO. That all one piece design of the ARB also makes it much more difficult to remove the winch for servicing. To remove the winch on the ARB you have to remove the whole thing where with the TJM you can just remove the bumper and leave the mounting bracket alone.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:15 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by mt_goat
Yes I was very impressed with the ARB I saw. It looked stronger than my TJM. So it used 10 bolts into the frame? Wow that's 4 more than my TJM. Plus some more into the original bumper mounts?
If you wanna see how the ARB mounts, I have pics
http://pnw4runners.com/tech/arb_install_info/
Old 10-23-2003, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by ALBPM
King, what year is your truck??
'94
Old 10-23-2003, 11:52 PM

ARB is definitely stronger than a TJM... I've had both. Engineering is better thought out w/ an ARB too. TJM is lighter and modular. Fit and finish on an ARB is better than a TJM per my experience, which is limited to 4Runner's, and Land Cruiser's. IMHO the ARB also has a better winch mounting provision.

As far as looks go, the TJM looks cleaner and simpler. I like the mean look of my ARB on my 80, but hate the approach angle.

J
Old 10-24-2003, 02:53 AM
Contributing Member

King - here's a link to the P/N for a 94' Tacoma.
http://www.4by4connection.com/89pi4rarbbub.html

It's the same model that Corey has.... Doesn't that Runner in the pic look familiar.....LOL
P/N 3214070

Here's a link to the best prices I've found for ARBs so far. "Free Shipping"
http://www.central4wd.com/store/itemdetail.asp?ID=4518

Unfortunatley shipping can range from $135 to $195 for the Bull Bars at most other sites that sell them.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

Goat!

Ps, love the bumper. I was really confused there for a second there... I don't know about every one esle but my brackets on my tjm aren't even all the way high. There is a good half inch atleast for me to bring my tjm up w/o mods if/when I get a body lift.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by turboale
Goat!

Ps, love the bumper. I was really confused there for a second there... I don't know about every one esle but my brackets on my tjm aren't even all the way high. There is a good half inch atleast for me to bring my tjm up w/o mods if/when I get a body lift.
Thank you, yes it looks a little different than the stock TJM T-17 I started with doesn't it.

My bumper isn't all the way up either. Plus if you took a die grinder to those adjustment slots I bet it could be raised about one inch without any welding. The bottom corner of the mount would need to be trimmed a little too for clearance for the higher bumper.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Corey
If you wanna see how the ARB mounts, I have pics
http://pnw4runners.com/tech/arb_install_info/
Those are great pics Corey. I have a question though on the very bottom of the mounting bracket in this picture isn't there a place for another bolt where that bracket goes farther under the engine?
Old 10-24-2003, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

mt_goat, You need to start a side business.

"Mt. Goat Bull Bars"

Sounds Cool!!
Old 10-24-2003, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ALBPM
mt_goat, You need to start a side business.

"Mt. Goat Bull Bars"

Sounds Cool!!
That does have a nice ring to it! I like it.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Just a quick comment- first, I like the look of both the ARB and TJM bumpers. I got the TJM mostly because of looks. Now, I hear the same arguments about these bumpers all the time- TJM = better clearance, ARB = better/stronger design. However, I've never seen a single picture of a TJM bumper all mangled and bent out of shape due to a hit on a rock/tree/whatever. I know my TJM has taken a couple of good wacks without any trouble. So, I think this whole "ARB is stronger" argument is a bunch of web lore that keeps getting passed along. Buy whatever you like based on the looks, because in this case, I think either bumper is going to hold up to the wheeling most of us do. If durability is considered equal, then TJM has the advantage due to a better approach angle.

Just my .02's, I think someone peed in my wheaties this morning, so excuse the crankiness.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

T.G.I.F. Mad Chem
Old 10-24-2003, 07:01 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by mt_goat
Those are great pics Corey. I have a question though on the very bottom of the mounting bracket in this picture isn't there a place for another bolt where that bracket goes farther under the engine?
I'd have to get down there and take a gander at it.
I do have some extra bolts in my parts box I think.

Quick Reply: TJM vs ARB Bull Bars???????