Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Forum Tire Recommendations Please!

I have a '96 4Runner SR5 4WD. I am talking with 4x4 Connection regarding the OME lift at all four corners. I'd like to fit 285/75's on my factory 16" alloys.

1. Are the stock alloys 16" x 7" or 16" x 7.5"? (most tire manufacturers don't recommend a 285 on anything less than a 7.5" wheel)

2. I'd be interested in members' advice on tires. I am definately interested in a more agressive look (Dunlop Grandtreks currently mounted), but realistically these tires won't see much off-road use. Just the occassional snow we see here in MD. My daily commute is about 120 miles. I don't mind a noiser-than-stock ride, but I do need something that will last and provide good wet-weather performance. I've read mixed reviews about BFG AT's at tirerack.com, and know very little about the Bridgestone Dueller AT Revos, two tires I am presently considering.

Lastly, aside from an alignment after the suspension and tire upgrades, is there anything else I must consider for a mostly on-road daily-driver? (e.g. I've read here about a differential drop)

As always your experience and advice is appreciated.

Last edited by 4Peanut; 02-27-2004 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:58 AM

The 285's will fit nicely with the OME lift. If you aren't going to see much offroad use, then I'd stick with the AT's. I like the Bridgestone Dueler myself, but others prefer BFG AT's. You shouldn't need the diff drop with the OME, but it wouldn't hurt. Also the stock alloys will handle the 285.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

Just from my personal experience the BFG's aren't that great in wet traction...accelerating hard on an incline causes me to spin out.

I have heard nothing but good review about the Dueler's...that would be my next choice for a tire if I was sticking with A/T...except I'll be going with the BFG M/T's or the Goodyear MT/R's

Fink
Old 02-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

I have the exact same car like yours. I heard a lot about BF AT, but I think they do not last that long and bad wet traction. I am originally from Malaysia, and we offroad a lot around those rainforest terrain, anyone who has BF will never get them again. I bought 4 new revos and they are very impressive, very quite on road and impressive offroad. At first, I thought the guy at Firestone was just trying to sell me some tires, he has only good things to say about revo, in fact he claimed that they are the best AT tires out in the market at this time. I can tell you they are probably one of the best AT out there, I tried it out in colorado last october when I was there for 10 days 4wheeling and camping, no problem at all!! It seems like the thread pattern is not too aggressive but do not be fooled by that. Good luck man!!
Old 02-25-2004, 01:53 PM

I would reccomend the BFG ATs I have had mine for almost 3 years now and have not had any problems whatsoever. I dont know about snow but they handle everything else great I will definately buy again.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:04 PM

Another vote for the revos (had mine for 18mo) - perfect traction on and offroad, any conditions. Heard a lot about bad wet and street traction with the BFG AT's, and since the street is probably where we spend most of our time, I'd go for the much improved street traction, and equiv. off-road traction the revo's provide.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:29 AM

TTT

So far, it's two votes BFG All-Terrain T/A and three votes Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. What about the Dueler AT? It has a more aggressive look.

Also does anyone have first-hand experience with MT's or MT/R's (BFG, Goodyear, Bridgestone, etc,) on a daily-driver (i.e. commute 50+ miles per day)? I love the look of the MT's, but I am concerned about treadwear, gas mileage, etc. The reviews at tirerack.com are so mixed, it's hard to get a good read.

As always, thanks for your feedback.

Last edited by 4Peanut; 02-26-2004 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:56 AM

Forum Tire Recommendations Please!

TTT

150+ reads but only five recommendations! Help a buddy out!
Old 02-27-2004, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't like the BFG's that I put on my truck, and have no experience with the Revo's. But I would like to put in a vote for the Goodyear Wrangler AT/D. I have had these on my truck for the past 2 years and they have worn exceptionaly, provide great wet / snow (remember last year) traction, and have good road noise (it is a truck with AT's). The only bad thing is the only place I can find them is Sam's Club, and I don't know what the other version that everybody else sell's is called. Just my opinion.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:21 AM
Banned

If you are into getting the best fuctional tire on the market for a low price, then I would go for the Yokohama Geolanders. I have a set of the HT's on my wife's Durango and they are a great tire. I have the AT's on my rig and I have been very impressed with how they run in wet and dry pavement. I am taking then to the true off road test in a few weeks, so I will let you know more then, but from the reviews I have read, they rock off road!
Old 02-27-2004, 09:36 AM

I'd go with the Revos. I have been in mud and snow with them and they kick ass. They are just as good in the mud as BFG A/Ts and much better on the wet/dry pavement. I don't know if it was the yota AWD system or the Revos but on snow, it can't get any better.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mulkey
I'd go with the Revos. I have been in mud and snow with them and they kick ass. They are just as good in the mud as BFG A/Ts and much better on the wet/dry pavement. I don't know if it was the yota AWD system or the Revos but on snow, it can't get any better.

Well I can honestly give input on the BFG's M/T and A/T. I recently just swapped out my M/T for the A/T. Here is the input...: BFG M/T, great looking tire, great traction for what it's designed to do HOWEVER this is a loud tire!! It sings on the highway and requires a lot of attention, You need to religiously rotate if you want to get even treadwear. If you don't you'll get nasty cupping on the outer edge after a few years that will never fix itself. As far as mileage, I am sure I have an increase now that I am using the A/T's -nothing too noticable (still sucks in other words). So far I am really happy with my BFG A/T, I really like the look and it has preformed up to my expectations. I have heard the REVO's are a better tire, but I pretty much went with what I liked in this case. When it comes down to it I think its just personal preferance. I've driven the A/t's in snow and had no problem. Anyway you look at it new shoes are always a fun buy...
Old 02-27-2004, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two sets of BFG AT's. Got about 45K out of each set. I switched to the BFG MT's in November. For mostly on-road driving, I'd go for the AT's. I've NEVER had a problem in the wet with the AT's. Makes me think *some* of the members like the skinny pedal a little too much.

The MT's are louder than the AT's, but not as loud as other MT's I've heard. I'll be doing my first rotation soon!!