Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tire question: Is rubbing bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire question: Is rubbing bad?

I plan on gettin 265/75/16 bfg a/t's in a couple days, and I have the factory sr5 black middle size flares, I know they'll rub on turns, but when rubbing, does it cut down A LOT of tread life? or just a little? Or not at all? And does it hurt the tire?

Also I have oem running boards on now, I"m getting them taken off tommorrow, if I had them on with the tires, will they cause in extra rubbing? Or am I just taking them off for no reason.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2003, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

Get a body lift and you won't have to worry about any Runbbing! I dont know to what extent you'll rub with that set up but rubbing tires that I have seen do far more damage to your truck than to the tires. If they only rub when you've got the wheels fully cranked like parking or wheeling I wouldn't think that would kill your tire life much. Now if you rub when going at highway speeds that unsafe because that would eventually cause a failure of something. Sure other's will chime in that are 3rd Gen owners
UK
Old 06-15-2003, 06:40 AM

Like UKMyers said, if it just rubs at full lock, not too much to worry about.
if it bottoms and hits your fender, you've got serious body damage waiting to happen.
I destroyed my front fender lip with larger tires because I was hitting them when I went over larger bumps at speed. A torsion bar adjustment helped that, but a body lift - even 1" - works wonders
Hopw this helps,
Todd
Old 06-15-2003, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Are you sure the 265/75's will rub? 265/70 was an option from Toyota with 16" rims, I just can't see that extra 5% making the difference in rubbing or not.

If you like the running boards, I say keep 'em on until you're sure that they will cause a problem. They come off easily, and there's a write-up in the tech section for it too. But taking them off will give you an instant lifted appearance.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

I currently have the 265/70/16 toyos with my running boards intact. They don't rub at all and have a lotta clearance. Yea so I'm with Mertztr on that doubt.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:35 PM

Well I plan on going wheeling a few times, so would it be better to just take the running boards off? Cuz I have an appointment tommorrow, and I've been trying to get them off, but now that I'm about to get them off, I'm starting to realize a lot of other runners with them on and how good they look. Ahh i don't know what to do!!

Appointment: means 30 bucks to get them off at the dealership cuz I tried myself and the bolts wouldn't even budge. Should I cancel the appointment and just keep on attempting it myself? And what is this penetrating oil that's in the write-up mertzr? I tried wd-40 but that didn't really help.

Thanks.

Last edited by Toyo_Runner96; 06-15-2003 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:58 PM

you will not rub with 265/75r16 size tires. I have the same fender flares as you and 265/75's and there is absolutely no rubbing. i would definetly not pay the dealer to remove your running boards, took me about ten minutes to do myself.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:06 PM

Are you sure? Cuz if so then I"m gonna cancel my appointment. Hopefully when I get to discount tire they won't not install the tires cuz they won't fit or something will they? That's what I'm afraid of if I leave my running boards on when I get my tires put on.

so.......ARE YOU SURE?
Old 06-15-2003, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

I mentioned earlier that 265/70/16 was an optional size available from Toyota. So there are no issues at all with that size.

The only difference between the 265/70 and 265/75 is that you're gaining 1/2 inch in the sidewall (1 inch larger in diameter).

I can't imagine there being issues with rubbing and the running boards.

However, if you're planning on wheeling at all, you're better off with the boards off. They offer minimal protection and rob you of a bit of clearance.

Bottom line is that its your decision. In the unlikely chance that there is some issue with the running boards, I bet if just run out and show them the 6 bolts, they could just run them off for you with their air tools. I'd recommend removing the boards, but for reasons other the 265's.

Oh and BTW if WD-40 isn't working, then try a product called PB Blaster. Its at most auto parts stores and its in the same general auto chemicals area.

Last edited by TDiddy; 06-15-2003 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:45 PM

i'm positive
Old 06-15-2003, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Tire question: Is rubbing bad?

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
I plan on gettin 265/75/16 bfg a/t's in a couple days, and I have the factory sr5 black middle size flares, I know they'll rub on turns, but when rubbing, does it cut down A LOT of tread life? or just a little? Or not at all? And does it hurt the tire?

Also I have oem running boards on now, I"m getting them taken off tommorrow, if I had them on with the tires, will they cause in extra rubbing? Or am I just taking them off for no reason.

Thanks!
I had 265/75/16 bfg a/t's with the stock suspension and the sr5 flares on my '98 for over 3 years and never once did they rub, even while flexing offroad. who told you they rub? I also had the oem running boards too. and mudguards.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:50 PM

ok thanks mertztr, goat, and keisur

Hopefully that PB blaster will be strong enough to loosen the bolts. Cuz I already cut my hand on the underside tryin to get them off, only managed to get one. :cry:

After everybody's replies, I think I'm gonna cancel my appointment, and get the tires put on on wednesday and see how it goes.

Thank you everybody for the replies, now I'm not really worried anymore. That's what I like about this forum and not the other ones. Thanks again!!!

Last edited by Toyo_Runner96; 06-15-2003 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
Are you sure? Cuz if so then I"m gonna cancel my appointment. Hopefully when I get to discount tire they won't not install the tires cuz they won't fit or something will they? That's what I'm afraid of if I leave my running boards on when I get my tires put on.

so.......ARE YOU SURE?
While at "dickscount" tire, make sure they use the haweka adapter to balance your new rubbers!! {assuming you have the alloy wheels since they are lug-centric}. they never could balance mine and they ruined them!!! after reading Gadgets vibration write-up, I never will ever go back to those turd burglars ever again!!!!!

Last edited by keisur; 06-15-2003 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by keisur
While at "dickscount" tire, make sure they use the haweka adapter to balance your new rubbers!! {assuming you have the alloy wheels since they are lug-centric}. they never could balance mine and they ruined them!!! after reading Gadgets vibration write-up, I never will ever go back to those turd burglars ever again!!!!!
Ok thanks for the tip keisur. I will definitely see to that.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Hopefully that PB blaster will be strong enough to loosen the bolts. Cuz I already cut my hand on the underside tryin to get them off, only managed to get one.
get a breaker bar for your ratchet, its not that expensive and you will DEFINETLY need it if you plan on doing more mods to your truck. the bolts will come off without hesitation then

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 06-15-2003 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by NCSU-4runner
get a breaker bar for your ratchet, its not that expensive and you will DEFINETLY need it if you plan on doing more mods to your truck. the bolts will come off without hesitation then
Good point. For a breaker bar, all I did was to go to Home Depot and get a 1-2 foot section of iron plumbing pipe. It was under $5.
Old 06-15-2003, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Dude, they are gonna rub. I have the same size, and a 2.25" lift in the front and they still rub.

And yeah, loose the running boards. They are for women who need help getting in the runner. That was one of the best things I ever did.

Hit me up if you need help. I can get those suckers off.

Dan
Old 06-15-2003, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by asudan96Runner
Dude, they are gonna rub. I have the same size, and a 2.25" lift in the front and they still rub.
I didn't think there was that much difference betweent the 96's and 98's. you got any pics of the rubbing? I just am having a hard time believing that they actually rub since mine never did without any lift at all. and now I have 285's with the 2.5/2.75 lift and before adding the TJM bumper and trimming the splash shield I had very little rubbing and in the front only, rears clear fine even at full stuff. and the 265's were installed on the stock 16x7 alloys with 4-5/8's BS.

Last edited by keisur; 06-15-2003 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:17 PM

I don't think rubbing is bad. I kind of like getting rubbed myself.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by asudan96Runner

Hit me up if you need help. I can get those suckers off.

Dan
Thanks Dan, except one problem, I'm in Indiana now....lol. But thanks anyways!

Quick Reply: Tire question: Is rubbing bad?