Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: Which locker setup should I go with?
Automatic (EZ or Lockright)
22.29%
Selectable (OEM or ARB)
73.49%
Other (please give me more info!)
4.22%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

time to get LOCKED!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 07:30 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i looked into it, and there is indeed a lockrite for us

try looking at http://www.performanceoffroadcenter....74c0af3280f217

its the 1615 i believe.

Originally Posted by hillbilly
lee-
The other thing I've learned is that an LSD coupled with our VSC/A-Trac system may be nearly equivalent to a full lunchbox since the ABS system will automatically engage on the spinning wheel forcing more power to the wheel with traction. I haven't invested much time looking at this yet, but if it does prove to be true, an LSD on road manners are much more appealing than a full locker.
thats a good point. can anyone elaborate on this for us?

Last edited by lee; 03-15-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lee
i looked into it, and there is indeed a lockrite for us

try looking at http://www.performanceoffroadcenter....74c0af3280f217

its the 1615 i believe.
Correct, but a Lock-Right is not the same as Power Trax System. The Power Trax System's supposed to have better onroad manners and quieter, yet fully engage both wheels unlike an LSD.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lee-

...The other thing I've learned is that an LSD coupled with our VSC/A-Trac system may be nearly equivalent to a full lunchbox since the ABS system will automatically engage on the spinning wheel forcing more power to the wheel with traction. I haven't invested much time looking at this yet, but if it does prove to be true, an LSD on road manners are much more appealing than a full locker.
except for wearing out the clutchpacks in 30k-50k miles and having to pull the 3rd to replace them or the LSD completely...

ARB's aren't cheap, but when installed correctly, they're basically indestructable and the best part - they're there when you want 'em and invisible when you don't.

everybody's going to have an opinion on it. i opted for ARB's and i've told you why. others have opted for alternatives and given you their reasons. my advise is to save up and do an e-locker swap or ARB install - preferrably with a regear (with plans to add 285's soon after).

you know it's not cheap, but you also don't have to be locked right now due to the ATRAC or whatever it is that you have.

if i were you, i'd do some 285's FIRST (tolerable on your 4.10's and V6) and from there save up for a winch. wheel that and know that you're winch will get you out of a stick - you'll need the winch before you double lock - it should be a requirement. if you get stuck when you're double locked, then you pretty much will REQUIRE the use of the winch to get out. after the winch, then save up for a double lock and regear to happen all at the same time. that way, you do things right the first time around and don't have to double-pay on labor or re-do stuff that you've already done once before.

the jist of this is don't look at just the next step or the next three steps, but look at the possible direction that you're heading and where you'll be a year and two years from now. a year ago, you never would have dreamed of having MT/R's and a TJM and a lift and actually wheeling your rig. think of where you'll possibly be two years from now. if that vision includes the possibility of wheeling with a double-locked, geared, and winched rig, then plan for that NOW. get a game plan together for future success and NOT for immediate indulgences and satisfactions. if you follow your impulses, you may have more headaches in the future.

two years ago, i had ordered my first sahara in january and just received it in early march. i had 265/75 nittos on a cornfed lift and had NO PLANS of ever going higher or worrying about 285's or a winch or a locked rear, much less the front. i had not even been on one organized wheeling trip yet. i was a wheeling virgin for the most part other than just local stuff that is now nothing that i wouldn't do in my honda accord. however, the mod and wheeling gremlins kept working on me and look where i am now...

just my $0.02 - don't spend it all in one place...

Last edited by bamachem; 03-15-2006 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
except for wearing out the clutchpacks in 30k-50k miles and having to pull the 3rd to replace them or the LSD completely...
The Detroit TrueTrac is clutchless.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:48 AM
Banned

The Detroit TrueTrac is clutchless.
kewl! any other "wearable/consumable" parts?
Old 03-15-2006, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
kewl! any other "wearable/consumable" parts?
Doesn't appear to be:
Old 03-15-2006, 08:02 AM
Banned

so it's simple viscous coupling through the worm gears (pinion gears) to the side gear that allows for limited slip??? that would have to be pretty tight to effectively transfer torque. nice pic of the design...
Old 03-15-2006, 09:43 AM

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but: Why skimp on the MOST important part of an offroad vehicle? A locker is the first thing that anyone wanting to go offroad should invest their money in. What is the first thing that stops you when trying to navigate a trail? TRACTION.
Having said that, lunchbox lockers are okay, they have their place. If you are not gonna put very large tires on the runner, don't get silly with the skinny petal, and don't mind the onroad manners than by all means, go for it. Everyone has a budget.

Now, if it were my rig, I wouldn't think about a lunchbox. Reason being, if they do fail they tend to take out the ring and pinion... This is costly.

Good luck! Maybe rob a bank and go for the e-locker!!!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:50 AM

abcdf

Last edited by Kalvin00; 11-10-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Judd
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but: Why skimp on the MOST important part of an offroad vehicle? A locker is the first thing that anyone wanting to go offroad should invest their money in. What is the first thing that stops you when trying to navigate a trail? TRACTION.
Having said that, lunchbox lockers are okay, they have their place. If you are not gonna put very large tires on the runner, don't get silly with the skinny petal, and don't mind the onroad manners than by all means, go for it. Everyone has a budget.

Now, if it were my rig, I wouldn't think about a lunchbox. Reason being, if they do fail they tend to take out the ring and pinion... This is costly.

Good luck! Maybe rob a bank and go for the e-locker!!!
I think Lock right recommends nothing over a 35" tire, although people run it with 36's and more, something tells me Lee isn't going to have to worry about going over the max tire size.
As far as "skimping" goes, I don't think that applies here, if he was asking e-locker or LSD, then yeah, that applies, but lunchbox lockers work great and are plenty strong.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:05 AM

Like I said, if it were me, I wouldn't skimp and never have in the past when it comes to lockers... Just my .02, take it or leave it...
Old 03-15-2006, 10:34 AM

Like I said, if it were me, I wouldn't skimp and never have in the past when it comes to lockers... Just my .02, take it or leave it...
Old 03-15-2006, 02:21 PM

Just start seaching for a good deal on an eLocker like several have suggested. Keep your money for it and search, search, search... When you end up finding one for less than the cost of an LSD or lunchbox, you'll thank yourself and all of us.
What you do is try to find one that someone doesn't know how much its worth. A junkyard or whatever. Search locally and nationally. You'll find one if you put in the effort. I put in zero effort and bought a front and rear axle for $300 and the rear has an eLocker in it. They have 4.30 gears too...

This is THE BEST option you have. Just be patient and search for one. You know how to use Google right?
Old 03-16-2006, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Intrepid

The guy asked for opinions and arguements for going for a selectable locker, that is what I gave. Lunchbox lockers DO NOT replace the case as the selectables do, this is why they are weaker, lunchbox lockers only replace the spiders and side gears. I take it you have a lunchbox?

judd

Last edited by Judd; 03-16-2006 at 04:05 AM.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:24 AM

The guy asked for opinions and arguements for going for a selectable locker, that is what I gave. Lunchbox lockers DO NOT replace the case as the selectables do, this is why they are weaker, lunchbox lockers only replace the spiders and side gears. I take it you have a lunchbox?

judd
Relax! Haha, yeah, I have a lock right. I think for Lee's application, he isn't going to run into breakage issues. I was stating that fact when you decided to comment again that it was skimping, which we already knew you thought. So I was rolling my eyes at the fact that you felt the need to say it again. Thats all.
In Lee's case, where he will probably never go over a 33, the lockright is plenty strong. I mean, when I want to hammer in a finish nail, I COULD go buy a 22 oz framing hammer because buying a small finishing hammer would be skimping, but the finish hammer will work just fine.
There is a definite argument to be had in the selectable or automatic argument, but to argue based on stength really doesn't matter as much here.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Intrepid
Relax! Haha, yeah, I have a lock right. I think for Lee's application, he isn't going to run into breakage issues. I was stating that fact when you decided to comment again that it was skimping, which we already knew you thought. So I was rolling my eyes at the fact that you felt the need to say it again. Thats all.
In Lee's case, where he will probably never go over a 33, the lockright is plenty strong. I mean, when I want to hammer in a finish nail, I COULD go buy a 22 oz framing hammer because buying a small finishing hammer would be skimping, but the finish hammer will work just fine.
There is a definite argument to be had in the selectable or automatic argument, but to argue based on stength really doesn't matter as much here.

no big deal man, like i said before, just my .02
Old 03-16-2006, 05:02 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jeremys73
This is THE BEST option you have. Just be patient and search for one. You know how to use Google right?
i do not know how to use google to find an e-locker.. so any tips you can provide would be ok by me.

i will search local junkyards as advised.. i wont have the money together either way for about a month or so, so i might as well spend that time weighing my options.

thanks.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

I mentioned this in another thread here, but I'll add it again for what its worth. In my mind the 'best' lunchbox setup for a 3rd Gen may be an Aussie (when available) in the rear and a TrueTrac up front. But that was before discovering the Power Trax System. A Power Trax in the rear might be better yet.

The TrueTrac up front shouldn't present the under steer problems a full lunchbox would, and is cluthchless (maintenance free) according the specs/marketing. Combined with the VSC/A-Trac, it might turn out to be really capable. An Aussie (depending on design) or Power Trax in the rear should provide decent road manners and 100% lockup.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:10 AM

I use ARB front & rear air locker. My rig is purely used on recreational offroad & expedition in China.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by lee
i do not know how to use google to find an e-locker.. so any tips you can provide would be ok by me.

i will search local junkyards as advised.. i wont have the money together either way for about a month or so, so i might as well spend that time weighing my options.

thanks.
If it were myself. I would probably go with some searches of
toyota elocker salvage
Toyota salvage
toyota axle
toyota elocker
toyota e locker
toyota e-locker
toyota locker
vehicle rebuilder
salvage yard
etc..

Get some phone numbers, call around... be firm on your offers, see if you can send a core back (your old axle) for an exchange price (what I did)...

I personally wouldn't put a non-selectable locker in a DD 4Runner that is as nice as yours. Sure they are great off road but what percentage of your time is spent off road and what percentage of the time off road do you actually need to be locked and how hard do you really wheel it and how many times in the past month have you been stuck? Stock 4wd 4Runners are pretty capable as-is. Save your money, be patient, find a good deal on a used e-locker.
Consider a winch too... Lockers won't get you unstuck.

Last edited by jeremys73; 03-18-2006 at 05:38 AM.

Quick Reply: time to get LOCKED!