Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

thick enough for sliders?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thick enough for sliders?

I am gonna build some after I get my runner and was pricing metal and I was just wondering if this is thick enough material or enough webs???
they will be the dual slider version and I was going to make the main long rails 3/16" walled 2" steel square tube. and the webs between the 2 rails 1.5" square steel tube with the same 3/16" wall and from first rail to fram same 2" stuff as the rails. now i was going with the 1.5" webs so that the cut angle on the 1.5" will mate to the 2" square better, I am wondering if the 3/16" is thick enough for the main supports going to the frame? and if 3/16" is more than necessary for the main rails/webs. because I saw one guy did his using only 1/8" square tube extending them and the 1/8" stuff was what was right on the frame, the point holding all the stress, but the peice was arranged differently though so the stress on the peice was different than if he had it extending straight out of the frame. and I was going to have 3 webs and 3 rails to the frame, unless you guys think I need 4 of each. I am also going to have the upper/outer slider in a good position to be a step. and the end of each outer/upper rail ends about 8 inches short of the inner one at each and and a peice of stock will angle from the outer one to the end of the inner oen so that nothing can get caught on the end or hit it with enough force to tweak it, it would just get pushed out of the way, or at leats stop it from getting wedged inbetween 2 rails and a web.

also If I made a nice looking set that easily held the weight of the truck and all welds were grinded down nice and smooth and it was all painted, how much would you guys pay for a set of these? I could make some out of 2" round steel pipe also but that stock is about twice the cost to get, at least from where I am looking.

also I am going to build myself a front and a rear tube bumper to protect the lights and fenders a bit/grille/hood a bit/etc... anyways I want to make all the piping connected inside like it is one big air tank, and put like a tires valve stem in them front for front tires, rear for rear tires, but I am wondering, I am sure I could get differetn material than I found on the website I am looking on, but I am slmost sure that this isnt thick enough to hold like 100 p.s.i. at all but the only 4" tube I could find was only 1/16" wall. now I know that being round it would be a bit more resistant to dents than just a flat sheet of 1/16 stainless, but all the pressure from the air is on the inside, and I know the welds will hold but being so thin and having so much pressure inside, hitting something would cause it to explode huh? I did find 3" that is 1/8" wall, is that enough, I think so since i am only going to have them pressurized on the way to and on the trails most likely, then use it to fill the tires and run home wiht empty bumpers? the site gives the 4" 1/16th wall stuff a burst pressure of 2438 lbs/sq inch and says to use a safety factor of 4 so 609 psi, so does this mean it will hold my 100 psi no problem? in my mind it sounds as so.