Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tacom Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tacom Center Console

I read Chebby's(?) signature and found that he was going to put in a Tacoma Center Console. Mainly because the cup-holders are built into the console.
I searched and have found only limited information regarding this topic. But, I'm still VERY interested in doing this mod too.

So my question is which years of consoles will fit into the 2nd generation 4runners, and of those, which have cup-holders.

I've been looking on the internet all day trying to find pictures of different years, but to no avail.

Any info you can lend would be awesome.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2003, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tacoma Console

I share your frustration. I looked for days to find decent pics. I'm still not sure what will work for sure, but I know there are two models that I don't want. The first version looks like a tall 4R console - without cupholders. I guess early Tacomas had the cupholder in the dash too. Then there was the afterthought cupholder. I think this was immediately following the dash mounted cupholder version. This one has them as a sidecar next to the shifter in the passenger footwell. It has one that folds into the other or something. Looks like another headache. I think, but have yet to confirm, that the latest version will work.

There are a few other mods that go along with this to make it work. First, we'll need both halves of the console (front and rear), then we need the shift indicator plate and boot for the 4x lever. Assuming there is some wiggle room, all this stuff should fit and work. I'm hoping the "boot" will accommodate my future twin sticks. The other issue is color. I wasn't fortunate enough to have the foresight to get a Runner with a tan or gray interior, so I'll be dying mine blue.

The transition between our 2nd Gen 4R console and the taco one isn't the most fluid, but it MIGHT work. I know it's more work and cost, but I like the full switch, since it will look a little more "factory".

Here's the original thread on the subject...

It's been way too cold for me to act on this, so I need spring to get here to move this along.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:16 AM

Was looking around for a tacoma console and found one on Ebay.
A '99, it looks like there is 1 cup-holder in it.

Am I wrong?

And it looks like it will bolt right in.....probably have to move the rear window button....

Anybody out there with a '99 Tacoma that can confirm the cup-holder in the center console?

Chebby I already have the twin sticks, so I was just planning on trying to replace the back-half of the console. Because it's really hard to find manual's anymore. Everything comes from the factory with an automatic it seems like.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by slowyota
Chebby I already have the twin sticks, so I was just planning on trying to replace the back-half of the console. Because it's really hard to find manual's anymore. Everything comes from the factory with an automatic it seems like.
I meant dual t-cases. Mines an auto.

There is a height difference (if memory serves) where the two screw together. I don't think it would look THAT bad though.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:31 PM

i have a 99 taco

the cupholders are awesome.

i will have a full drink in there with the top off and i can practically do donuts without anything spilling.

and at first, it might look like there is only one. but you can pull it out, and bam, there's another.

whenever i get around to taking pictures, i'll get quite a few of the cupholders if you guys want me to. ill try and do it this weekend, and scan them sometime next week at school or something (i dont have a scanner or digital camera)

if i forget to post them:pat:, remind me
Old 02-27-2003, 05:45 PM

Rowan,

Thank you. I'm looking forward to it!!
Old 02-28-2003, 09:43 AM

That would be great.
Thanks.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

I'd be interested to see if any will slide into the ashtray slot of a 1st gen. Can you shoot them with a ruler in the picture for scale?
Old 02-28-2003, 12:11 PM

here is my 99 taco center cup holder

oh and one of my new deck ( i couldnt help my self)
Old 02-28-2003, 01:21 PM

Thanks, that's exactly what we needed.
It looks as though it's a direct replacement for the 4runner console. Just bolt the rear half up..
you won't have a rear heater anymore, but who cares.

Now if I could just find one in gray for sale.

Thanks.

Last edited by slowyota; 02-28-2003 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:07 PM

Thank you very much!! That's what we've been asking for! I need to now turn my attention to the plasitc piece under the ashtry. This also looks like it would fit my 2nd gen and give me two more power outlets.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:48 PM

GRRRRR

*%#& IT!!!! Thanks Cebby.... thanks. Now I want one of those under dash pieces w/ the power outlets..... dont care to tackle the console swap (aint worth it to me) but I want the outlets. Ive been looking at the tech section, was going to buy some outlets and tie them in, BUT HEY!! What could be cleaner than a factory set-up?
Wonder what year started that run. My 96 Taco did not have them.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:59 PM

i have the power outlets...
but a way different center console. must be because i have the bench seat...
Old 03-01-2003, 03:57 AM

no problem guys im glade i could help out
Old 03-01-2003, 05:22 AM

Re: GRRRRR

Originally posted by 1Runner
*%#& IT!!!! Thanks Cebby.... thanks. Now I want one of those under dash pieces w/ the power outlets..... dont care to tackle the console swap (aint worth it to me) but I want the outlets. Ive been looking at the tech section, was going to buy some outlets and tie them in, BUT HEY!! What could be cleaner than a factory set-up?
Wonder what year started that run. My 96 Taco did not have them.
I love to spend your money!!!

I'm not up on the Taco lineage like I am on 4Runners. Will need to do a little more research.